IGNORED

RUBBER CHICKEN RENDEZVOUS (RCR5) - Aug 8-11 - Snowshoe WV

TyTass

OK, it's now 5 years and counting ...

We (OoPEZoO, RT_Jim, and I) would like to invite you to the fifth annual Rubber Chicken Rendezvous (RCR5). For those unfamiliar with RCR ... Rubber Chickens aren't really required, but they are welcome.

Though usually held in June, we decided to find date that wouldn't conflict with the UNRally XII (25-27 June). We dismissed July as a family vacation/holiday month, not to mention being hot as Hades (almost without exception). Although August can also be hot, we know it isn't always hot ... especially in the mountains. Those who attended UNRally X in Little Switzerland in the first week of Aug 2010 found the weather quite acceptable mid-70s to mid-80s. Can't say that's what it will be, but we're hoping.

So here it is ... RCR5:

When: Thursday, August 8th - Sunday, August 11th 2012

Where: Snowshoe Mountain Resort Snowshoe, WV

Why: This is the weekend of the 10th Annual Blues, Brews, & BBQ up at the resort on Snowshoe Mountain.

We figured that should the weather be less rider friendly for some folks, heading up to the mountaintop and joining in the festivities might be a pleasant alternative ... or something we could all do in the evening after a day's ride.

NOTE: For previous RCR attendees ... be advised that Snowshoe has closed Brandi's, the restaurant inside the Inn. The Bar will still serve a limited menu. There are also still three restaurants between the Inn and US-219 open for business.

We will follow up shortly with the lodging details, but wanted to get the dates out there so people can plan accordingly. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the heads up Craig. I forwarded to Rina so we can see if it works for us. We both enjoyed the last one we went to (2011?).

I have ONE volleyball commitment in all of August, You guessed it August 11.

So I propose we move this to August 15 - 18 just so I can attend :-)

Well, Randy ... I'm fairly certain you're just jesting, but the fact is the date was previously chosen and agreed to (in a contract with Snowshoe).

So, perhaps you'll find a way to make it anyway.

Well, Randy ... I'm fairly certain you're just jesting, but the fact is the date was previously chosen and agreed to (in a contract with Snowshoe).

just remember to please properly secure your top case this time :grin:

Lone_RT_rider

just remember to please properly secure your top case this time :grin:

And the manufacture of Zip ties called.... they asked that you not tell anyone how you secured it the last time. :rofl::dopeslap:

I hope you guys can make it again this year.

Here's hoping to make one of these finally!

Put me in the probably inn!

If you wanna head to my house the night before (Wed) that could save one night motel room and then we could ride to WV by fun roads the next day and have some Q!

If you wanna head to my house the night before (Wed) that could save one night motel room and then we could ride to WV by fun roads the next day and have some Q!

I was hoping you'd say that!

Nah cannot make it. I was jesting. I have to attend an annual NCAA Division I volleyball rules clinic each year. unfortunately they just announced August 11 for my area. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I put it on the "things to do list" but no Brandi's :cry:

at least the bars still open :clap:

on another note, did they ever get Canan Valley remodeled?

It was a consideration for the RCR, but there was no guarantee that the renovations would be complete by our dates. They were scheduled to be finished by then, but we didn't trust that they would meet the construction schedule. So we decided to keep it at Snowshoe again this year. There was discussion of a return to Canaan Valley next year when we know things will be in order.

It was a consideration for the RCR, but there was no guarantee that the renovations would be complete by our dates. They were scheduled to be finished by then, but we didn't trust that they would meet the construction schedule. So we decided to keep it at Snowshoe again this year. There was discussion of a return to Canaan Valley next year when we know things will be in order.

As Keith pointed out ... yes, we will return to our original RCR site after the near-total renovations are complete. However, whether we return to it for an RCR or as the site for the next east coast UN location, we haven't yet decided (because it's too soon to throw our hats into the ring). I will simply say we are considering both.

As you may know, we were considering putting a bid in to host this year's UN. However, btwn Snowshoe's contracting summer operations and CVR's renovation completion schedule being too tight (as Keith pointed out), we decided we didn't have an appropriate venue. As it turned out, we definitely made the correct choice because:

1. As of today it appears that CVRs renovations are going to continue into Oct 2013.

2. Ken found a great location! Thank goodness for Ken, eh! :clap:

Back to future RCR locations ... we are also considering a couple other possible locations. I'm doing a bit of scouting in SW VA this weekend and over Memorial Day wknd. I've already done quite a bit of riding and research in that region already and I will simply say that it's quite easy to string together great day rides full of twisties and great scenery out there. On top of that, it's closer to you.

Again, nothing definite but so far it's looking very promising to me.

• 2 weeks later...

LODGING DETAILS FOR RCR5 ...

WHEN: Thursday, Aug 8th thru Sunday, Aug 11th 2012

WHERE: Snowshoe Mountain Resort Snowshoe, WV

RESERVATIONS: Please call the resort at 1-877-441-4386

GROUP RATE: Reserve under "Rubber Chicken Rendezvous" rates. Reservation must be by July 8 to receive group rates.

Due to the vast lodging options available at Snowshoe, we once again decided to take advantage and make a little of everything available. Rates are as follows

THE INN AT SNOWSHOE:

Unit Descriptions: The Inn at Snowshoe offers standard one bedroom and two bedroom units located at the base of Snowshoe Mountain. The Inn at Snowshoe is six miles from the slopes and Village at Snowshoe. This property has been a favorite of skiers for decades. It offers all the amenities you need in one location at very reasonable prices. The Inn is a full service hotel with a host of amenities including: Indoor Pool, Jacuzzi and Exercise Room, Arcade, and Bar, Full Service Front Desk and Gift Shop.

Please note: Standard rooms at the Inn at Snowshoe are non-cooking rooms. All standard rooms and the lobby are non-smoking. A small menu is available at Brandi's Bar. Wireless Internet access is available in the lobby. All rooms have 2 double beds and are charged as follows

SINGLE occupancy $69.00 per night

DOUBLE occupancy $69.00 per night

TRIPLE occupancy $75.50 per night

QUAD occupancy $82.00 per night

THE RIMFIRE LODGE (w/underground parking):

Unit Type: Studio (sleeps 2 - 4)

Unit Descriptions: Studio units located in the heart of Snowshoe's Village. Units offer spectacular western vistas and village plaza views. Adjacent to variety of restaurants and shops. All units reserved have full kitchens; Internet connections and full daily maid service.

Complex Features: Outdoor hot tubs, gas fireplaces, exercise room, sauna, vending and laundry facilities, underground parking and air conditioning.

Studio $127.25 per night

EXPEDITION STATION:

Unit Types: Junior Studios (sleeps 2 - 4)

Unit Descriptions: Expedition Station's contemporary styling offers a completely new lodging alternative for guest at Snowshoe. Wired Internet access is available. All units are air conditioned, and are equipped with an efficiency kitchens.

Junior Studio $119.25 per night

RATE DETAILS:

DATES: Rates are good for +/- 3 days in either direction from our planned dates, so feel free to take advantage to extent your stay or show up early. There is a ton of stuff to see and do around the resort and surrounding area.

TAXES: Applicable West Virginia sales tax of 6% and county "Lets screw the tourists" lodging tax (also 6%) will be added to the costs listed above.

CHECK IN: Anytime after 9:00AM on day of arrival (but occupancy of rooms cannot be guaranteed until 5:00pm)

CHECK OUT: 11:00AM.

CANCELLATIONS: Can be made up till 48 hours before your arrival date. Anything later than that will cost you one nights lodging cost.

FUN PASS:

Also, regardless of which rooms you decide on, you have full access to the whole mountaintop resort with the complimentary FUN PASS. Take a swim or catch some rays at the pool complex, ride the lifts down the slopes with a stunning view of Shavers Lake and the mountains, and other activities (inquire upon checkin).

Three weeks to the day of my dirt bike crash and I rode a bike again. It was a 110 Kawasaki but hey I'll take it. :grin: PT next week, I'll be traveling by August or before for sure! :thumbsup:

Seems like a big place, where about does the main group stay?

Pat

Most everyone has stayed at the Inn. It's down the mountain on WV66 near and US-219. It's about a 5-mile curvy ride up to the mountaintop resort. It's quite fun going up/down.

You keep healing, Pat. Would love to see you there.

Lone_RT_rider
Most everyone has stayed at the Inn. It's down the mountain on WV66 near and US-219. It's about a 5-mile curvy ride up to the mountaintop resort. It's quite fun going up/down.

It's also a long trip down the hallway of the hotel. Make sure you ask for a room as close to the front desk as possible. Hauling your gear is a pain otherwise. :)

Craig - I assume you mean 2013 and don't blame the mistake on Terri. :rofl:

Craig - I assume you mean 2013 and don't blame the mistake on Terri. :rofl:

What happened to 2012? That's what I want to know!

It's also a long trip down the hallway of the hotel. Make sure you ask for a room as close to the front desk as possible. Hauling your gear is a pain otherwise. :)

If you stay waaaay at the end (like we did) there's another door. Very easy to load/unload.

Glenn Reed

If you stay waaaay at the end (like we did) there's another door. Very easy to load/unload.

That was my experience as well. And we were closer to the outside, impromptu after ride get togethers.

Lone_RT_rider

That was my experience as well. And we were closer to the outside, impromptu after ride get togethers.

If you were in the halway on the right, yes.... not the one on the left.

If your room looks out over the parking lot, you can park right outside your room and pass your bags through the open window :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

That's unfortunate, Steve. Liked having you there last year. You take care and enjoy your 30-day break.

Likewise Craig! :thumbsup: I know you've probably answered this a hundred times but about the routes? If available, is it GPS files or paper? That's it no more questions, newbie out! :grin:

Pat

We'll have routes for GPS. Not too many differences from last, though there are a few (so far). They'll be out sometime later in July.

I have been doing a written route booklet for the past few years but just don't have the time this year. Moving in a couple days, going to the UN Rally, etc.

Besides ... most of the routes haven't really changed from last year (though I realize you didn't go last year). So, it certainly couldn't hurt for me to make last year's booklet available, though some routes would be slightly different. No matter. A person following last year's routes would still have fun. Great roads out there.

Also Pat.....I haven't heard anything from Dazzz, but he showed up last year with a dirty crew from Ohio. There are a TON of unpaved/gravel roads in the area depending on what equipment you plan on riding down on. I also did a bunch of research on the local BBQ joints and picked the "best" place within riding distance. It was crap. Turns out, the best BBQ comes from the little road side stand right next to the hotel. This being the Blues, Brews, and BBQ's weekend will hopefully remedy that situation. I have a hankerin' for some properly smoked ribs (that I don't have to smoke myself).

I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I'm thinking about trailering down and bringing the whole family, but I'm not sure if I can swing it. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I can make it at all.

Let's hope you can make it Keith! :thumbsup: Looking at G/maps around Snowshoe there seems to be a lot of small squiggles that must be dirt. Advantage GS! My buddy has an RT though, so not much dirt riding in his plans. Decisions! :)

Pat

What happened to 2012? That's what I want to know!

For convenience & (mostly) ready retrieval, I keep it in the same place as my 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008... in the Memory Motel.

Pretty sure I'm in; am working on CHANG-P*, the Wifely One.

* CHANG-P = Countrified Hot Asian Ninja Ghetto Princess. There is simply no one who looks better in baggy, bug-splattered touring gear. But then I may be biased.

Sorry, I appear to have just wandered in here unannounced.

If I promise not to harass the housekeeping staff and to buy a round or two, is it ok if I tag along? I am very Blues-friendly, and have been known to snarf my fair share of 'que from time to time.

Sorry, I appear to have just wandered in here unannounced.

If I promise not to harass the housekeeping staff and to buy a round or two,

You don't know us very well. ;) That could be an expensive proposition right there my friend! :grin:

No real formalities to these events (except you need a rubber chicken for this one) ( some weird initiation ritual) ;) so, just show up and introduce yourself. :thumbsup:

Pat

Foot -

Hoping you CAN make it this year! It doesn't feel right for me to be riding without you watching for bears.

Jim

Fathom -

What TEWKS said - we're very informal. Just show up and you'll be welcomed. The thing with the rubber chicken initiation doesn't hurt too much. ;-)

Hoping you can make it -

Jim

Archived