IGNORED

12 + 70 =13

GregsARed

What am I missing?

The 2013 1200 GS weighs 474 lbs.

The 2012 1200 GS weighs 404 lbs.

2012 plus water cooled = 2013.

Beside the water cooling equip, what else did they add to come up with the additional 70 lbs?

Thanks.

Guest Kakugo

Greg, I suspect the 2012 data you have there is incorrect.

According to BMW's own technical literature, the new R1200GS-LC tips the scales at 238kg. This is done according to the 93/93/CE normative. It means the bike must be "ready to roll", with all vital fluids, inflated OE tyres and 90% tank capacity.

The Camhead R1200GS, measured according to the same criteria, is 229kg. It means water cooling "added" just 9kg. However I suspect the cooling system added just part of that weight: after examining the bike from up close some components appear to have been "beefed up" from the previous bike (the LC looks incredibly well made, and made to last: my only beef is the radiators are not as well shielded as they ought to be).

roadscholar

What am I missing?

Published motorcycle weights are one of the unsolved mysteries of the universe.

Missouri Bob

My '08 R1200GS weighs 520# with a half-tank of gas. I did the weighing. I don't remember that the camheads weighed significantly less than the hexheads.

Bob

It means water cooling "added" just 9kg. However I suspect the cooling system added just part of that weight:

Thank You, :thumbsup:

My data apparently was wrong.

So 2012 + 9kg (20lbs) = 2013

It makes more sense using the metric system. :grin:

Don't forget a whole different clutch system {YEAH}, water pump, radiator, hoses, coolant and I hear more electronic gadgetry...20 lbs easy.

Guest Kakugo

What am I missing?

Published motorcycle weights are one of the unsolved mysteries of the universe.

That's why BMW and other European manufacturers (except Ducati) lobbied hard for the 93/93/CE spec to become mandatory.

In the days of yore the Japanese became adept at advertising completely unrealistic "dry weights" which weren't downright lies but stretched truth quite a bit: it was not uncommon for them to give weight minus engine oil, fuel, coolant, tyres, chain and even brake fluid and pads.

The bike has to be weighed not by the manufacturer but during the homologation process (when noise, emission etc tests are carried out).

That's one of the chief reasons Japanese sportsbikes in the last few years have "gained" so much weight. ;)

It's probably a misprint. But it reminds me of an old story.

"Back in the day" the Spanish manufacturers were always making huge horsepower claims. A Bultaco 250 Pursang supposedly made 36 horsepower, and its 125cc sibling had a whopping 25hp. We often wondered if that was horsepower at the rear wheel, or at the crankshaft? A friend once straightened me out.

"That's horsepower at the brochure," he said. Helped clear up some of the weight claims as well.

It's probably a misprint. But it reminds me of an old story.

"Back in the day" the Spanish manufacturers were always making huge horsepower claims. A Bultaco 250 Pursang supposedly made 36 horsepower, and its 125cc sibling had a whopping 25hp. We often wondered if that was horsepower at the rear wheel, or at the crankshaft? A friend once straightened me out.

"That's horsepower at the brochure," he said. Helped clear up some of the weight claims as well.

Now that's funny! :rofl:

The new bike in addition to water cooling has a completely different transmission and swingarm which clearly don't weigh exactly the same as the previous versions.

In addition, it's not the same bodywork, instruments, seat, lighting, different tire/wheel sizes, on and on.

So, what was the question again and why was it asked?

So, what was the question again and why was it asked?

ans: Well I'm an RT(99)rider, wondering what weight to expect when the RT goes LC.

John Bentall

A German magazine put both bikes (real bikes, not just the brochures ;) ) on the weighbridge and they came out weighing the same.

Firefight911

Ask the tow truck driver which one is harder to push on to the flat bed. He'll know the answer as to which is more heavy.

:wave:

Weights across the whole line of manufacturers are always something to baffle anyone. I should start a YouTube series that goes out and does nothing other than get motorcycles with full fluids and roll them across a weigh scale.

Archived