IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

szurszewski

BMW 1981 R100RT - $1750 (lake grove)

I have had this bike for almost 16 years. It runs good and for the most part I would call it reliable. For questions give me a call at 503-444-9311 - Bill.

00x0x_R1adF4qlEU_600x450.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/6135078842.html

Edit: If we were still in Portland it would be hard to not pick that up :)

Edited by szurszewski
FlyingFinn

Edit: If we were still in Portland it would be hard to not pick that up :)

I'd just have to replace that "sport screen" with something bigger that gives bit more protection...

roadscholar

:grin:

I had an R100RT with a screen smaller than that, no bike since including 1200, 1500, and 1800 'Wings provided as big a pocket of still air. No other Beemer has even come close.

John in VA

My R80RT had the best protection of the 5 RTs I've owned. The adjustable fairing vent ports were ingenious and are missed.

:grin:

I had an R100RT with a screen smaller than that, no bike since including 1200, 1500, and 1800 'Wings provided as big a pocket of still air. No other Beemer has even come close.

Same, but I had to remove the lowers because of that, here in land of Sunshine and gets too hot sometimes.

roadscholar

You need to come back down here cause I've got one just like it except newer and less miles and less $. Would make a great tug, but too many irons in the fire.

Edited by roadscholar
szurszewski
You need to come back down here cause I've got one just like it except newer and less miles and less $. Would make a great tug, but too many irons in the fire.

What can I say? You didn't actually invite us over to look at your toys ;)

roadscholar

What can I say? You didn't actually invite us over to look at your toys ;)

Most, including that one were a little too far away. Maybe next time..

Thanks for that.

I think I'd rather clean out my septic tank, than to look that one horrid piece of crap.

And he wants money for it!

RandyBailey

Okay, it's not on Craigslist in Amsterdam yet, but can you imagine the glowing description the owner will give it. The moss growing on it adds a certain classic charm.

EFAACDED-FAE6-4824-8E22-DA520FD1BC56_zpsbedkitkk.jpg

Okay, it's not on Craigslist in Amsterdam yet, but can you imagine the glowing description the owner will give it. The moss growing on it adds a certain classic charm.

EFAACDED-FAE6-4824-8E22-DA520FD1BC56_zpsbedkitkk.jpg

It's called "patina" Adds to the value.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder, do you get all three scooters for that $1000? :/

I've learned through another forum that there are scammers nationwide posting fictitious bikes at the uniformly low price of $1K. That Silver Wing is a $1700 trade-in, $2600 retail, around here. Collecting email addresses or some such nonsense. I don't get it.

roadscholar

Wouldn't have posted if I thought it was a scam, I'm on CL enough to be able to decipher what is and isn't in most cases. Just thought it was funny, besides scammers aren't witty enough to write that ad : ) And they almost never leave a name and number, or post more than one pic, because they're lazy bums. The list goes on..

Betting it's just a kid posting a thrashed scooter and having a little fun with it.

Shiny Side Up
Wouldn't have posted if I thought it was a scam, I'm on CL enough to be able to decipher what is and isn't in most cases. Just thought it was funny, besides scammers aren't witty enough to write that ad : ) And they almost never leave a name and number, or post more than one pic, because they're lazy bums. The list goes on..

Betting it's just a kid posting a thrashed scooter and having a little fun with it.

Yeah - post a picture abusing a motorcycle - or in this case a scooter - that you're trying to sell... SMART!

Bill_Walker

Well, here's a search I'll probably regret. Here's the R1150RT I traded in on my '15 R1200RT. They're asking, um, rather more than I got in trade, but that's not unexpected. I see they've taken advantage of the service records I included, but "Dealer serviced from new with all receipts" is a lie, although there are records for all the services I did myself. I might question "exceptionally clean", too. And I wonder what happened to the top box.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/6164031815.html

Shiny Side Up
Well, here's a search I'll probably regret. Here's the R1150RT I traded in on my '15 R1200RT. They're asking, um, rather more than I got in trade, but that's not unexpected. I see they've taken advantage of the service records I included, but "Dealer serviced from new with all receipts" is a lie, although there are records for all the services I did myself. I might question "exceptionally clean", too. And I wonder what happened to the top box.

Had the same thing happen with a truck I traded in. I knew it used to belong to me.

I won't say they "lied" about the some things, but I will say they were rather casual with the truth in the description.

szurszewski

Had the same thing happen with a truck I traded in. I knew it used to belong to me.

I won't say they "lied" about the some things, but I will say they were rather casual with the truth in the description.

That's a great statement - casual with the truth. Thanks!

I was going to ask how you knew it was yours (didn't doubt it - just curious what made you sure), but I can see the stickers and the partial plate so I guess it's pretty obvious.

Instead I'll say I'm surprised they didn't mention the rare BMWRT.com sticker on there ;)

Is that being sold at Parts Haus? I assume you didn't trade it there so maybe the dealer made a little money wholesaling and Mr. Buck is trying to make a little as well...

Bill_Walker
I was going to ask how you knew it was yours (didn't doubt it - just curious what made you sure), but I can see the stickers and the partial plate so I guess it's pretty obvious.

Also from the detailed service history of clutch and paralever bearing replacement, which exactly matches my bike. And the GS mirrors, the GPS mount on the Gadget Guy bar, the PIAA lights, the BMS saddle, the headlight guard, the mileage. Plus location and timing.

Instead I'll say I'm surprised they didn't mention the rare BMWRT.com sticker on there ;)

Is that being sold at Parts Haus? I assume you didn't trade it there so maybe the dealer made a little money wholesaling and Mr. Buck is trying to make a little as well...

No doubt the sticker is why the price is so much higher than my trade-in value!

I don't know where it's being sold. I traded it in to Long Beach BMW Motorcycles, and they told me they didn't retail bikes that old, but they had a local guy they can usually sell them to.

Edited by Bill_Walker

I understand they are asking only $1500, however, what does "The Venture has newish tires, which still have seasons of riding left in them" mean?

1987 bike with 85,000 miles divided by 30 years = 2833 miles per year.

Shiny Side Up

Shaping plastic is an "ancient" art form...??

Girls everywhere IF you're on this "beauty"...

roadscholar

Me three, had a silver one, I think it was a '71, kept it for 7 or 8 years. Really a great go anywhere bike, I've since considered it might have been the predecessor of today's adventure bikes.

Hank R1200RT

Not a bike, but...

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mpo/6173465467.html

I corresponded with the seller and got the information that this is a Deltran (AKA Battery Tender) model 021-0156. I didn't know that Battery Tender made them for BMW.

Does anyone in the assembled multitudes own one of this particular model? (Please don't respond "it should work" if you do not have direct experience wih this specific unit.)

Not a bike, but...

I corresponded with the seller and got the information that this is a Deltran (AKA Battery Tender) model 021-0156. I didn't know that Battery Tender made them for BMW.

Does anyone in the assembled multitudes own one of this particular model? (Please don't respond "it should work" if you do not have direct experience wih this specific unit.)

I had one and used it with no problem for my 1999 R1100RT. I replaced it with an Optimate 4 when I switched to a CANBUS bike.

Edited by Green RT
Bill_Walker
Not a bike, but...

Yeah, Deltran made them for BMW. I've got the Deltran Battery Tender-labeled version, which has a sticker on it that says "programmed for gel batteries.", but there's no model number or serial number sticker. My receipt from Aerostich for it says "Type #4908", but that looks like it's also Aerostich's catalog number. It's on my list of leftover 1150RT stuff to sell after I've got my 1200RT all set up.

Why did I come to this thread? Wish I hadn't! :) The Interceptors and GPZ's were my favorite bikes in the 80's. Never had one though. I'm a 2-3 bike guy...I'm drooling right now, I really am! Unfortunately, I can't do it right now. Well I could, but I like my marriage too much. :) Man, do I ever LOVE motorcycles!