IGNORED

Spark Plug Questions

AnRSguy

Ok, here are a couple of questions.

I decided to pull my plugs and check them as I had the Tupperware off to install my new cylinder gaurds.

I first discovered that the top and bottom plugs were different brands, top is NGK and the bottom is Bosch.

Upon inspecting them, I don't think they should look quite like this. Hopefully the pics will show up here.

NGK

NGK.jpg

Bosch

Bosch.jpg

Admittdly, the top one looks much better, also notice the oil on the threads of the Bosch.

The bike is an '04 R1150RT with 3389 miles on it, 2200 when I bought it. The 600 mile service was done by the original selling dealer in the NE. I also noticed that the bottom plug covers were missing. confused.gif This is no big deal as they would be discarded upon installation of the cylinder gaurds.

Any thoughts or advice from you infinitely more knowledgeable guys?

Well now I feel stupid. dopeslap.gif

I looked in the Maintainance Instructions and it would appear that having NGK and Bosch is normal.

The appearance question still remains though.

Bryant

I also noticed that the bottom plug covers were missing.

My 2004 also did not have the bottom plug covers. Perhaps they stopped putting them on the RT's??

Nice photos, CameraGuy. I just had the local dealer do the 40,000 km (25,000 mile) service done on my '04 RT as well. FWIW, my plugs look the same as yours. I have the same question as you: is this normal?? I have to get down to the dealer and talk to the tech who did the work.

I'd guess the donut gasket around your bottom plug is leaking. Was the sparkplug wire boot covered withoil?

No oil at all on the covers.

Bryant

Nice photos, CameraGuy. I just had the local dealer do the 40,000 km (25,000 mile) service done on my '04 RT as well. FWIW, my plugs look the same as yours. I have the same question as you: is this normal?? I have to get down to the dealer and talk to the tech who did the work.

Thanks, a ring flash and macro lens with an extension will do wonders, just glad I don't have to buy all this stuff. clap.gif

Keep us posted on what the tech guy says.

Bryant

This may help. Is it still burning oil? Ping?

web page

At only 3389 miles it is still using some oil but no ping at all, runs like a top. I guess I am just being paranoid. eek.gif

Bryant

My 04 Roadster came w/ the same combo...NGK Primary & Bosch Secondary.

I pulled them at ~4200mi when I installed my Techlusion, and except for the crud on the neg grounds and the oil on the threads, they looked much like your pics. I did not like the look of Bosch...too black and somewhat oily for me.

My Haynes manual says the Bosch could be replaced w/ an NGK, but the recommended plug, 'DCPR8EKC' was one heat range colder than the Primary.

I went with NKG Iridiums at this point, and installed a Secondary that was same heat range as the Primary...to try to keep the business end cleaner.

Bottom line...I pulled them again when I did the 6000mi service, and they both looked much better. The Secondary was a dark chocolate brown & dry. Same results when I put the bike away last week at ~9000mi. A hotter Secondary worked for me.....

On all the duel sparkers, including the new R1200 series, the lower plugs look oilier than the uppers. It's just the nature of the location I believe.

Some '04 dual sparkers were shipped without the lower covers for some reason. They can easily be added if you want.

seen the same thing with my '04RT at 11k. Replacing the plugs. Both will be NGK with the lowers one stage hotter. Will post pics.

btw, the bike has run perfect, with very little oil usage. I wouldn't sweat it but change the lower Bosch for the equivalent NGK. They seem to burn much cleaner.

rpg

Archived