IGNORED

04 RT won't start

tone1298

Well, I've just installed my new GPS unit and the bike won't start. I routed the cable under the tank (which required siphoning the gas out of the tank) and hooked the GPS directly to the battery per the instructions. After putting everything together and going through the start up sequence, the bike turns over an putters a couple of times but will not fire up.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!!!

Check the electric plug which feeds the fuel pump, it is under the tank on the right. Also check that the 2 fuel connctors are fully seated , they are right next to the plug.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Check the electric plug which feeds the fuel pump, it is under the tank on the right.

Don't just see that it's plugged in, make sure the tangs have clicked into place so it won't back out somewhere in the middle of Kansas...

Pulled the plastic off (next time I'll make sure everything works before putting it on), checked the fuel lines, connector, and canister hoses... everything looked fully seated and lined up correctly (I marked the hoses and the fuel lines are pokeyoke). Although the fuel gague had 2 bars, I went and got fresh gas and filled it up some. It took a couple times (I was getting worried) but she fired up, kinda chugged and was coughing a lot of light smoke for about 1-2 min. I geared up and went for a spin and things seemed to be ok.

I think it may have been the gas. Here's why... even though most of the gas in the filler tank I used was recently siphoned out of the bike(to remove the tank) and no more than 2 months old, there may have been about 1/2 gal. of stuff that was 9 months old.

Either way... works now. And there may be some good weather on Wed. this week!!

Is "mototronic" stock? If yes, no, I did not reset it.

How is that done?

Turn the key on but do not start the bike. Bike in neutral, kill switch in run position, etc. Rotate the throttle through its entire range twice. Now start the bike. The procedure is in your owners manual.
Joe Frickin' Friday

Glad you got your bike running. As Ken and Bob pointed out, on the 1150's the Motronic (the engine control computer) memorizes the lowest and highest throttle position sensor voltages that it sees; it assumes that those voltages correspond with idle and wide-open throttle. When you disconnect the battery (or pull/blow the right fuse), the Mo forgets those values, and you have to "teach" it again by twisting the throttle fully open and completely closed a couple of times (with key on, but engine not running). This is different from the 1100's, in which the TPS has to be carefully oriented so that it shows a particular output voltage when the throttle is at idle position.

I suppose it could have been old gas, though I'll note that my mower has run just fine on gas far older than nine months. Speculation: possibly you got your bike started because you opened the throttle a little bit, providing some "spread" between what the Mo saw as min and max voltage, and then things got better as you rode along, opening the throttle further and further (and teaching it a new max voltage)?

Is "mototronic" stock? If yes, no, I did not reset it.

How is that done?

Turn the key on but do not start the bike. Bike in neutral, kill switch in run position, etc. Rotate the throttle through its entire range twice. Now start the bike. The procedure is in your owners manual.

Ahh, I see... owners manual. Thanks for the tip!!

Archived