IGNORED

R1200RT Exhaust Blueing

garyj

I heard (forgot where) there is a polish made to be used on blued chrome as a result of heat. It wouldn't have to remove the blue, just even out the color. Anyone ever heard of, or better yet, used such a product? Maybe I'm just being too picky?

Since this post I've been looking around on the Internet and found products for chrome blueing. Does any of this stuff really work? Do the pipes blue again the next time you ride?

I will see what I can find on Never Dull. THANKS!

I tried several products, but none of them worked great, and the pipes got blue/brown again almost immediately. When I rode off the lot with my new R12RT sporting the "chrome" exhaust, it was blue within 10 miles. I finally sent the pipes to Perfomance Coatings and had them coated with their Chromex finish. They still look great 5000 miles later.

There may be a great cleaner of some kind out there I didn't try though. Good luck.

Jay

I heard (forgot where) there is a polish made to be used on blued chrome as a result of heat. It wouldn't have to remove the blue, just even out the color. Anyone ever heard of, or better yet, used such a product? Maybe I'm just being too picky?

I just tried the little cans of "Blue Job" powder and while it cleaned the clean parts and made them shine... it didn't do squat on the bluing.

As Jay mentioned, you are basically fighting a loosing battle. The only solution is double-wall pipes, which the R1200RT doesn't have.

Consider the bluing "character" and go riding!

I tried "Blue Job" which I bought at a Harley dealership. Hard work with very little effect. The only thing left chrome on my bike is the muffler can. I'm so good looking who needs bling on the bike anyway.

you've got 3 choices:

1. Live with in...not a big deal.

2. Don't live with it...sell the bike.

3. Get it jet coated...end of problem.

that's all there is to it...forget the blue stuff, blue away, etc.....waste of time and money.

I just accept the discoloration as one of those BMW "things". FWIW, my pipes are definitely a ruddy-looking brown color with only the very slightest hint of blue... kinda nasty, but I've just decided not to fret about it.

The brown will disappear with a good cleaning - use a high pressure jet if required.

Personally, I like the bluing - I think it looks cool, and is the result of some very cool physics.

Archived