IGNORED

Throttlemeister adjustment

becmat

The throttlemeister installed on my bike does not hold when applied. I know there is suppose to be an adjustment , however, I do not have the installation directions. It was dealer installed out of state and way to far to go there to have it adjusted.

I have reasonable mechanical abilities. Is this something I can fix or should I bite the bullet and take it to a dealer?

confused.gif

Mat in Susanville confused.gif

its very simple to fix, there is an adjustment screw that lets to slide the grip to the correct position. You need to remove the switch cover, there is three screws and it will give you access to the clamp that holds the grip in place. set it to where you want it and put it all back together, should take about 10minutes.

ShovelStrokeEd

A little caution here, if you have heated grips you will need to allow for expansion of the grips when activated lest you run the risk of a locked throttle.

In fact, the TM is not supposed to "hold". It is not a throttle lock. It is a variable drag device used to ease the load of holding the throttle open against return spring pressure. It works quite well in that mode.

If you feel the need to remove your right hand from the grip and don't want to slow too much, just pull in the clutch or install a cruise control. Locking the throttle is NOT a good idea. Even the heat from your hands or sunlight can expand the throttle housing sufficient to cause lockup. Not a lot of fun when you need to chop the throttle and brake at the same time. DAMHIKT

It is not a throttle lock. It is a variable drag device used to ease the load of holding the throttle open against return spring pressure. It works quite well in that mode.

If you feel the need to remove your right hand from the grip and don't want to slow too much, just pull in the clutch or install a cruise control. Locking the throttle is NOT a good idea.

I think you are being a bit alarmist, Ed. It is easy to adjust the ThrottleMeister so that it will work with heated grips, in sun and cold, and still have it "lock" the throttle, i.e. hold the throttle position with hands off, but allow it to be shut off manually. Clearly there are some safety implications to overriding the throttle return spring. But what's new about safety implications and motorcycles.

Archived