IGNORED

Garmin XM radio and WX.

jakfrost

I have deceided to buy the Garmin 376c to replace the 276c I sold to a friend and have a couple of questions someone out there may be able to help with...

I would like the XM radio subscription of course, since the new RT doesn't have any radio at this time.

AND I would like to try the WX service to see if it is something I could find useful up here in Canada , and of course for my trips south of the border...

My questions are...does anyone know if you can 'bundle' a subscription, i.e., radio and WX package.

AND, I would like to use the 'Aviator LT' package since I am a pilot and the Metars and Taf's are handy for me. Will the 'Aviator LT' subscription work in a standard 376c?, or does it have to be the 'aviation version' of the 376c... ($2,500.00 U.S. crazy.gif ).

I couldn't find the answere to my questions at the XM site or Garmin, and its too late to call... so I'm guessing there is no 'bundle' and hoping I don't need to take the 'Fisherman' package instead of the 'Aviator'...

Anyone been thru this already??

Jim

Jim,

I believe you would want the 396, which is the aviation version of the marine 376. The 376 does not have Metar, TAF's or winds aloft needs - the 396 clearly does.

As to bundling, there isn't a bundle, per se, but you might be able to get them to waive the setup on the XM or XM Weather or both. I already had an XM subscription, so the XM was cheaper at $6.99, and I did get them to waive the weather subscription setup fee.

Yes you are correct, I 'miss-typed' 376 instead 396 when I meant the aviation version...I have looked at the aviation packages from XM, and the 'aviator LT' would be my first choice for a WX subscription, as opposed to the marine 'fisherman' or whatever...

So has anyone got an aviation WX sub. running on their Garmin 376? I for sure can't afford the '396' for the bike...

Good idea to try to get Garmin to 'waive' the $75.00 'setup' fee for the aviation WX, IF I know I can get it to run on the 376...

Jim

So has anyone got an aviation WX sub. running on their Garmin 376?

Don't have Aviation, but have run Fisherman and Master Mariner ... I have no doubt that an Aviation package would "work" on the 376C, but you would for certain be missing a bunch of stuff that is exclusive to the 396. After doing a side-by-side of the various features of the several packages offered, it looked to me that the marine packages are most suitable for motorcycling, at half the price of the ground package (which would be great if it weren't so pricey).

Jim,

The engineer in me says the 376 and 396 are the same hardware with different firmware. Since the 376 automatically detects the incoming weather info (none of the mariner or fisherman weather metrics show up in the display list, for example, with my sailor subscription), it would be interesting to test the 376 with an aviation wx package.

I see two choices - ask Garmin and get the canned "no it won't work" answer, or find someone with a 376 that isn't already subscribing to any wx package and test it. As you know, it would be worth the price difference to try.

Archived