IGNORED

Which wheel weights should I use?

OlGeezer

I'm mounting a set of tires on my triple black GSA.

Should I use the rectangular wheel weights that stick to the rim or should I use the wheel weights that crimp onto a spoke?

My concern is how they would look on the black rim.

Thank you,

Afternoon OlGeezer

You can always paint the wheel weights black or find some black ones if you look hard enough.

My personal take is I just don't like spoke clamp on wheel weights as they usually trap moisture holding crud between the weight & the spoke causing oxidation, so next tire balance you end up with a nasty part on the spoke showing if the weight needs to go on another place.

You also have the option of balancing the wheel only & placing the weight inside the rim. That way a quick check after wheel mounting usually tells you that it is close enough to run as is (most modern tires are pretty close).

I haven't balanced a motorcycle wheel/tire in almost 100k miles. I haven't seen or felt any adverse effects of messing with it. I didn't believe it would ever be OK, but I honestly don't see a difference. I won't balance another one unless I start feeling something goofy

Keith,

Always thought you were a bit unbalanced...

:wave:

are you using any technique to match heavy point of tire?

Nope.....The tire brands I have been using during that time have not had the weighted marks from the factory, so I have nothing to go off of.

On my RT, I balanced the bare wheels once and never thought about them again. On my GS, I haven't even done that. I run them with no wheel weights at all.

mythreesons

Dittos. On my first BMW, a k75, I spent hours balancing the wheels only to find out my new static balancer had a bent shaft. When I was done the wheels didn't even need a 1/4 ounce. I haven't balanced a motorcycle wheel since. I have a hard time believing the amount of weights I see on some wheels are accurate.

My concern is how they would look on the black rim.

You could always paint the weights black... :thumbsup:

I've had some problems in the past with the adhesive being very difficult to remove, and leaving a discolored area behind, but that was with silver wheels.

There is no "correct" answer.

• 4 weeks later...
Witch_Doctor

I only use a spoke weight if its more practical; ie: need of a heavier weight, and don't want a clump of weight. Other than that, I just use the lead sticky. Be cognizant using spoke weights though, as they tend to make the spoke go dead quicker, and may need to be re-torqued from time to time.

Nope.....The tire brands I have been using during that time have not had the weighted marks from the factory, so I have nothing to go off of.

On my RT, I balanced the bare wheels once and never thought about them again. On my GS, I haven't even done that. I run them with no wheel weights at all.

I agree,tire wear,out a bit on air pressure,a pebble,all would throw the balance out.

Met a guy with a G.S. that rode all of Canada,several tire changes - no difference in wear or mileage,some balanced others not- (all Metzelers)

Archived