IGNORED

Brake Flush

Robert_RT

Why are the brake shoes removed and inserts put in there place? I have done brake flushes before and not removed the shoes but I keep reading this and wonder if I am screwing up. confused.gif

the purpose is to get the last little bit of fluid out of the caliper. the line is such that the new fluid won't go back down to the end of the caliper and then out of the bleed screw. the shortest distance is from the line directly to the bleed screw.

so when you push back the piston you will remove, oh I don't know, 80% of the fluid that you normally wouldn't get.

Robert, the shims push the pistons all the way into their bores which forces out all brake fluid. The fluid at the bores is subject to the most intense heat.

Just a thought, but couldn't you just slide a shim between the pad and rotor thus leaving the caliper in place.

Maybe you could, but it is much harder to ensure you get the pads pushed all the way out.

Jim cool.gif

Actually the dealer has various 'shim' thinknesses depending on the bike and its brake ABS system. When I inquired about the shims, I was told its to help set the correct volume of brake fluid.

It's just to minimize the amount of fluid in the actual calipers themselves.

I have a brake piston retracting tool which I use to push the pistons fully back but if it so happens that a pad change coincides with a brake flush then I figure that the new pads push the pistons back far enough to do the job.

Just a thought, but couldn't you just slide a shim between the pad and rotor thus leaving the caliper in place.

Maybe you could, but it is much harder to ensure you get the pads pushed all the way out.

Jim cool.gif

Interesting. All this extra effot because they weren't bright enough to put the bleed screws in the right place!

Bob.

Interesting. All this extra effot because they weren't bright enough to put the bleed screws in the right place!
Just out of curiosity, where would you have liked them to be???

Just about all calipers on most anything I've seen have the bleeder at the upper most point of the chamber behind pistons. Because that is where the air rises to would be my guess.

Because that is where the air rises to would be my guess.

Not to mention the effect of sliding the piston seals over an open hole leading to the bleed screw.......

Stan

Archived