IGNORED

clutch life

woodnfly

just loking for some feedback,ive got a 07 RT with 87,000 miles,im not haveing any problems but i'm wondering if I should be thinking of a new clutch.I know rideing styles vary and there might be other factors,but just in general what kind of mileage are you getting from your clutch.thanks

I haven't got too many miles on the RT now, but I did change a clutch on a K1200LT at 130K....but only because I had a rear main seal dripping. I don't think I will do anything to the RT until I happen to be in that area for other reasons, unless it starts slipping.

Ron

just loking for some feedback,ive got a 07 RT with 87,000 miles,im not haveing any problems but i'm wondering if I should be thinking of a new clutch.I know rideing styles vary and there might be other factors,but just in general what kind of mileage are you getting from your clutch.thanks

My 07 RT had 147K miles and the original clutch when I traded it in. I know of another 07 with 160k and the original clutch.

Mine was a '96 and it had 175,000 when I took it out of service with spline issues. The clutch was still well within service specs, but as you say, it has everything to do with how it was used. I'm light. I travel light and solo. When I was commuting I only had to use the clutch 4 times in the 20 miles. Many of rides were very long distance.

The best advice is to just enjoy the bike. It generally gives you some warning that it is on its way out. Just don't ignore the warnings.

thanks for the replies,most of my riding is solo,and a lot of long distance trips,so i guess i can put the change on hold for a bit.

My 07 RT had 147K miles and the original clutch when I traded it in. I know of another 07 with 160k and the original clutch.

This is good to know.

I'm on 77k, and hoping to get to around 120k before the new bike is sourced.

\v/

I had the same concerns with my 07 RT when rolling past 80k but clutch is still strong as ever at 128k :thumbsup: As one indicator of clutch health, I look at my average mpg over my same 120mi daily commute and it hasn't changed at all from 49 since i got the bike new in 07. I've been told by others that you can expect about 175k of service from stock; of course YMMV based on how kind you are to your clutch.

Archived