IGNORED

PAUL MIHALKA - THE MAESTRO

Tony Guzman Blanco

Tony Guzman Blanco

I’m an old riding buddy and good friend of Paul’s (he posted a story on this forum about how he met his lovely wife Maria Amelia , in which he blames me for his good fortune):

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276534&page=1

I want to share with his many, many friends and riding buddies on this forum, a few experiences and thoughts about this wonderful man.

In July 2009 he told me that Jim Ford, a good friend of his had written an article about him

http://www.ridersworkshop.com/maketime.pdf

After reading the article, I sent the following email to Jim:

Dear Jim,

I just finished reading your enjoyable article: “MAKE THE TIME AN INVITATION TO ZEN MOTORCYCLING” which was kindly forwarded to me by our mutual friend Paul Mihalka and where you describe your first ride with him.

I can relate to your experience. Back in 1974 (I was 28 at the time) Pablo, as we call him, was already a legend of Venezuelan motorcycling (seven times Venezuelan champion, South American champion, he finished every single race he started, never failing to do so as the result of a spill or mechanical failure). We met by chance at the BMW dealership as we took delivery of two identical black and silver BMW R-90-S bikes when I told him that a group of wild and fast motorcyclists would convene every evening at a café called the OK. Piqued, he showed up that evening and the following week-end went for a ride with us…..What a ride! He and the then reigning Venezuelan champion left us all in the dust and disappeared ahead of us as we all drove down a winding mountain road towards the beach as fast as we could……A few minutes later, as we came around a curve we saw Pablo and Tonino (with a lighted cigarette dangling from his lips), resting by the roadside, sans jackets, sans helmets, standing by their bikes, looking as cool as cucumbers and totally relaxed…..Nothing was said about our relative driving abilities but more than one hotshot in our group was humbled by the experience….So much for the hotshots….

We all continued towards this beach at a more relaxed pace and on the way back, discovered that Pablo was a true master. Whereas some of our group members would speed up wherever possible once we were on straighter roads and highways, almost invariably (road permitting) Pablo kept going constantly at 140 KPH (87.5 MPH), a speed that was to become his trademark as he would go at 140 KPH when the road was straight, curving, uphill, downhill, dry or wet, with or without a passenger, during the day or at night….and all the fast hotshots couldn’t keep up with him for any extended period of time….and I followed him, soaking up as much information as I could, as my riding abilities were pushed farther than ever. That is when I decided two things: To become his friend and to ride right behind him as often as I could. From that day in 1974 through 1978 I rode many, many miles behind Pablo, every week-end, on short and long trips lasting several days whenever we had some holiday. Needless to say, this riding and our conversations taught me just about everything I ever learned about motorcycling….and I lived to tell the tale.

The group, which grew so as to include several former and active racers has long since disbanded. However, five of us remain very close and still swap stories by e-mail and SKYPE about the good old days. Tomas went to Spain in 1978 (he still rides a R-1150-RT), Pablo went to the U.S. shortly thereafter, Bob went to Mexico in 1994 and subsequently to Germany, Aparicio wound up in Luxembourg after living in the U.S. (He still has and rides his yellow R-100-RS, restored to mint condition and also, a Ducati) and I wound up in Panama in 2006.

I no longer ride but had to share with you and the rest of our gang of five that we are all fortunate to be counted among Maestro Pablo’s alumni.

I wish you many more miles of happy and safe riding.

Tony

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Pablo will be riding any time soon but he will be remembered by all of us, old and new riding buddies who had the good fortune of knowing him and becoming his friends.

Thank you for posting this, Jim read this email earlier this year at a dinner honoring Paul. I've only known Paul the past 15 years, first as a customer, now a coworker and a close friend. I will read your story and think about all the rides I was humbled by the Maestro.

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thanks for sharing. Today I took the liberty of slightly editing and updating the original email. Will send it to Jim.

I followed him, soaking up as much information as I could, as my riding abilities were pushed farther than ever. That is when I decided two things: To become his friend and to ride right behind him as often as I could.

Thank you for sharing! I too have have had the wonderful opportunity and pleasure to learn by riding behind this wonderful man.

Thanks so much for your post, Tony. Paul and I are fellow Hungarians, so we have that connection in addition to the passion for motorcycles. What a loss this will be for all of us! :cry:

And welcome to the group.

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thank you Peter. Pablo is a very dear friend who taught me many things. A man of few words, he speaks volumes.

I spoke to him today and true to form, he was the brave, dignified, realistic and pragmatic person we all know. I am happy to say that he sounded relaxed, upbeat and was not in pain.

Tony

A few words from PM is worth thousands. After an accident that left me with 2 broken legs and a doubtful prognosis for the ability to walk, Paul said to me, "you'll ride again". He was right!

Archived