IGNORED

Lost Key for 2000 R1100 RTP

Swordofwords

As always...have you looked in the seat lock release cylinder????? ;)

Very common spot to leave it.

What he said. Other places; Ignition, side cases, pants/jacket pocket that I was wearing the last time I rode or started it... :dopeslap:

Swordofwords

Ha ha ha, I will look there, only because I did not. I have an old Kaw 90, same problem. Usually I make enough spares (now that I have the blanks) so its not an issue, and black tape one under the trunks, seat, luggage.

I'm preparing for the worse case scenario, so it doesn't become a monument for police bikes. LOL

Years ago, 1986 to be exact, I had a Kawasaki Ninja 600 that I lost the only key for. The bike was locked and parked in my carport when the key disappeared. After searching the house high and low I figured it was gone forever, either thrown out by mistake or taken by my evil girlfriend of the time just to make my life difficult. I had to pull off the upper triple clamp which housed the ignition lock and then took that to a locksmith, as back then I was too poor to have one come to me. After looking up some secret data in some book and putting the key in some type of cutting fixture that had an electronic needle, it took him all of 1 minute to make a new key for the ignition lock. A few days later I found the lost key under one of the couch cushions, it must have slipped out of my pants pocket. Since that experience, whenever I loose something small I always look under the couch cushions first. I also make sure that I have spare keys to every vehicle I own stored away in my house.

Morning Swordofwords

You might try your dealer, I'm not sure if they can go back to 2000 or if they have data on the RT-P's but on most BMW bikes IF you give a BMW dealer your VIN number & show them your title they can look up the info for a new key.

Have multiple spares.

Keep 1/2 size one inside registration (folded/taped) in my wallet.

Small ez to find.

Swordofwords

I';; try that. The locksmitb here wants to remove the lock IF he thinks he can do it, The Vin lookup would sure be a miserysaver.

Sword

• 4 weeks later...
Swordofwords

If there is a dealer out there that can help me, I can web cam my registration, fax it or whatever. Thanks

BTW we're about to get more snow and we had 11" yesterday!

I got tired of turning the house upside down looking for my keys. Most of the time I found them inside the couch. So now I just keep all my keys under the couch cushions. As soon as I get home from work, I just jam my keys right in there. Why fight it? I haven't lost my keys since, and I usually pull out enough quarters for a soda pop. win - win!

Left my key in the mailbox one time. I had it in my hand while I reached in to get the mail and I dropped the key and did not realize till the next morning. I have also lost the key in one of the many pockets on my Roadcrafter.

If you know which agency it came from, contact them and ask if they still have a copy of the key. Most agencies have several keys for each vehicle, and usually don't bother gathering up the spares when they sell off. Some agencies also go keyed-alike, either by the purchase batch or fleetwide, so that a cop can jump into the nearest radio car and launch during emergencies, foot pursuits, etc.

My practice is to carry two sets of keys -- one primary set with all the stuff I normally need, and a backup set that unlocks house, car and a key for the motor (that is, anywhere that I might lock keys in or be stranded if I lost the main set).

Swordofwords

This used to be on the Sacramento Dept. Anyone near there that can give me fleet manager info, then maybe a call or two will be beneficial.

Call the PD cold line and explain what you're after.

You will probably end up with a secretary who will take your info to pass to the Traffic LT.

Archived