IGNORED

About to purchase a Shoei Neotec

Exploreinman

Exploreinman

OK, I'm about to purchase a Shoei Neotec. If you own one of these helmets, is there anything about it that you really don't like or that they missed with the design?

It is notably heavier than the full face types from Shoei.

I find I continue to use my ff helmets a lot for that reason. They need to make a lighter shell for the Neotec.

Mine is still new and a little tight but I'm sure will break in fine. Best airflow I've had; get a breeze up my nose with the chin vent and feel a draft on the top of my head with duct open. Only problem for me is that my aviator style sunglasses don't seat as well as they did in my Zox because the openning is lower on my forehead. Last little nit is that the latches are quiet and I have to check that the flip module is completely down and locked each time.

-----

No complaints here. It replaced a Shoei FF and I am real happy with it. Because of the flip down sun visor, I no longer use sun glasses and my regular glasses fit fine. And it is sooo much more convenient to flip up the front when stopped. I use it 100% of the time and could not be happier with it.

I tried one for several days and returned it. For me the helmet rode higher and my ears were freezing (winter ride 20F). Never had that problem with my Scorpion helmet, and did not want to buy a baclava to compensate. But for summer, it looked like a great helmet. The airflow is awsome, and if my head wasn't "tall", it would be my helmet of choice.

One thing I learned after I returned the helmet is that the air vents only close 90%. You apparently can get replacement vents from Shoei that will close all the way if you want.

Mark

I've ridden the NeoTec for the past 15K miles since replacing my MultiTec and RF1100. For me it's the superior helmet in all respects - however, it's the only helmet that required me to replace the original cheek pad set with their thinner set (35mm replaced by 31mm). This was done at no charge by the BMW dealer as part of a "guaranteed fit (?)" program - another good reason to buy from the local dealer.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
I've ridden the NeoTec for the past 15K miles since replacing my MultiTec

Sailorlite

How is the noise level compared to the Multitec?

Peter - I'm not the best judge of noise level but my distinct impression when I first rode with the Neotec was that it wasn't noisier than the Multitec but wasn't noticeably quieter either. I always wear earplugs but always have only the factory windshield - two factors that affect my noise "environment" but maybe not yours.

The Neotec could be quieter in a "clean" airflow, or in no airflow at all, but I just haven't ridden like that.

Doug_Baliko

If you are considering other brands besides Shoei I have a Shuberth C-3 and love it. Very comfortable and quiet.

Doug

It's my first flip helmet. I'll give it 10 out of 10 points.

It rides just a little higher than my old RF-900. But I've always used a neck gaiter in winter anyway. The thing has WAY more air flow than my old helmet. I can't wait until summer!

I have not yet fitted my Autocom headset. I don't forsee any problems though.

John Bentall
It's my first flip helmet. I'll give it 10 out of 10 points.

It rides just a little higher than my old RF-900. But I've always used a neck gaiter in winter anyway. The thing has WAY more air flow than my old helmet. I can't wait until summer!

I have not yet fitted my Autocom headset. I don't forsee any problems though.

+1

I am also happy with it - it replaces a BMW System 6. The System 6 does not fit me as I am an in-between size.

I had a second attempt to install the Autocom yesterday as there is not a lot of room for the cabling. I put the connectors into the recess under the chin-strap where it attaches to the shall.

Replaced a Multitec with the Neotec. Both great helmets, both have Autocom with no problem fitting speakers/wires - noise very similar - both pretty quiet. If I'm going any distance, I use expandable foam earplugs. Much better airflow in the Neotec. Really enjoy the drop-down sunshade. Neotec is slightly larger, no longer can get two helmets in my RT topcase (not a problem for me, just mentioning the slight size difference).

John

I guess I should add one caveat to my earlier statements: I have not "tested" it. So I haven't the foggiest if it's any good.

Come to think of it, I've never actually put any of my helmets to the test - moto, bicycle, ski, etc...

I recently purchased a Neotec and I have mostly positive things to say about it. Personally, I am a huge fan and long time user of Arai. Fit and finish is second to none and has always been among the quietest of helmets I've worn. That being said, Arai doesn't make a modular helmet nor do they have an integrated sun visor. Two features that took me all of about 5 minutes to fall in love with!!

Airflow on the Neotec is adjustable and quite good on top of your head. Airflow to the visor and mouth area seems average to below average. Ironically, I was able to audibly hear when I opened the front vent..so I'm a little disappointed about that. I'm concerned about fog up in winter months but maybe that is why they added the Pinlock visor system. I haven't ridden in temperatures low enough to appreciate that offering so I have no comment.

The sun visor is awesome but takes a little time for your finger to figure out where to open/close. As a side note, I caught myself opening my clear visor to itch my nose, only to realize the sun visor was still in the down position. Oopps!! Did I mention how awesome the integrated sun visor is??

As far as sound is concerned, using my Arai as the baseline, its not as quiet as I thought it would be. Then again..maybe it is quieter in that I'm able to notice small things like wind turbulence when I open the front vent instead of cars and motorcycle engine noise. I don't know.. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

If you plan to add a communication system, no worries, this helmet has deep recesses for even the thickest speakers!

All in all, minus the price tag for a premium modular helmet, I'm pleased with my purchase. Put it this way, I tried a few other modular helmets and came back to the Neotec. So that should tell you something.

I have a Neotec coming from a Schuberth C3. Schuberth fit fine at 260lbs, at 190lbs the pain in my forehead was unbearable so I switched to the Shoei. It's not as quiet as the Schuberth but certainly not loud by any stretch. It's noticeably quieter with the top vent closed. Certainly the best top vent I've ever experienced. You actually feel the air running across your scalp. I kinda like that myself. The trade off is volume when the vent is open. Quality doesn't seem to be an issue and I wouldn't be upset if I had to buy another. Still wish Arai would make a flip but my understanding is they're not convinced a flip can be made safe enough.

I went from a Schuberth C3 to the Neotec. Both great helmets, but the C3 gave me a headache after an hour. The Neotec doesn't do that. I wear custom earplugs, so the Shoei is very quiet. It was very easy to "Autocom." The ventilation is BAR FAR the best of any helmet I've owned. The face shield can be opened a bit and stays open at speed. No experience with the Multitec. I would buy the Neotec again in a heartbeat!

Archived