IGNORED

Fargo to Seattle in mid May?

Hermes

I have done that trip in July and August (4 times)and found no problem as far as weather and temperature is concerned. This year, I have an opportunity to accompany a friend on this stretch in mid May.

I am a little concerned what type of weather or temperatures one can reasonably expect, that time of year.

Of special concern is the stretch from Spokane to Seattle, what with Mountain ranges and passes.

If you have experience traveling (or living along that route), I would appreciate if you could tell me what to expect. Somehow I think it may be a few weeks too early for reasonable temperatures?

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

szurszewski

I don't know much or anything really about the rest of the route, but I wouldn't worry too much about WA. There's a chance some of the smaller highways might have snow on the roads at the passes, but I90 should be fine. If you're opposed to rain, that might be an issue, but only from Seattle to the Cascades.

I was returning from a cross country run that time a few years ago. The only really bad weather was Lolo Pass in MT which is a must ride. And an Epic rain/ hail storm in South Dakota.

I left my buddy's place in Missoula area and headed up the pass in increasing snow, in the tire tracks of the semi ahead of me. Once I hit the top, the rain on the ID side was warm and by the time I blasted into Lewiston I was dry. I turned around once on the way up, before I saw the semis go by. I was riding with my feet out like outriggers, the tail of the bike wiggling back and forth in the slush in their tracks. Yeah, there was a girl waiting at home I hadn't seen in 3 weeks!

I wouldn't ride 90 in any event. Take Lolo pass, follow down through Lewiston, Walla Walla area. Then you can pick up the interstate again (through Yakima, back to 90 and over the last pass) if you need to, but if there's freezing temps in the pass better to go down the gorge on hwy 14 to Vancouver, WA and you'll have to endure only a few hours of I-5 North from there to Seattle instead of the hell that is the Eastern half of I-90. There is no pass on this route, and you get to see the gorge.

I have yet to find a good and time effective way from Portland to Seattle on a bike. You can avoid I-5 but you end up in stoplight hell most of the time. I either just take all day and do it on the coast, or go at a light traffic time, put my head down and fly.

I'm assuming you have heated gear? Definite must for that leg Mid May. You'll go from full on, to off and open vents, and back to full heat in a day.

Thank you for the great responses. I guess it is a little iffy and can get adventerous that time of year. I got a BMW heating vest and the old standby Long Johns.

Let you know how it went.

Jurgen

I would ride straight SOUTH until the weather got nice and warm, then ride west until you can not ride west anymore, THEN ride north to Seattle....but I am from Cali and hate cold riding...lol

Jurgen:

Remember there are always lower altitude options like following the Okanagon and Columbia Rivers on I90 - US395 - I82 - I84 - I15. I was in Seattle May long weekend in 2007 (cage - shopping trip with the wife) and decided to come back on US 2. The rain had turned to snow about 500 vertical feet below Stevens Pass and there were lots of stranded motorcycles waiting for the sun to come out.

Although it would be very rare it can snow at Lookout Pass. The highest risk of snow is probably Homestake Pass east of Butte (6329 ft). Just check the weather and Montana road cameras:

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/weather/rwis_list.shtml

Mike Cassidy

Mike Cassidy

Thank you Mike and Kmac.Great link for road conditions!! Will comw in handy. Going South then West and back up North would be my preferred option, but time is limited for my friend.

Thanks All, you are the best.

Archived