IGNORED

Battery charging

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

I understand that charging my (gel) battery is via the electrical port?

I have a OEM plug adapter and a DC plug-in to which I have attached two alligator clips. The plan would be to connect my charger to the clips for charging.

This may be self evident to many, but....am I "charging" down the wrong path?? :confused

Thanks,

Stephen

Hmmm..another topic that gets beat around here a lot. smirk.gif You might want to do a search on battery charging. BMW says that you need to use their "official" $75 charger to avoid damaging the new type battery. Other's on this board disagree. I bought the charger, hardly ever used it, then replaced the battery recently with an Odyssey dry cell. Read on! thumbsup.gif

No your 'path' is fine. More germane to the discussion is what type of charger you have. As mentioned opinions vary, but IMHO for the gel battery any of the low current, "smart" "battery tender" type charges that monitor the charging curve will be fine.

You're going to want to / have to replace that gel battery with a better type anyway, so why get excited about a charger specific to it?

Archived