IGNORED

Are Carports Worthwhile?

eddd

Back in Texas I designed my garage to fit my extended cab pickup with an 8' bed so even though it is 11 years old and just short of 200,000 miles, it is in very good condition. My current garage in very sunny Hurrican, Utah isn't big enough to fit the truck so it is parked on a nice concrete pad next to said garage.

I've parked it between my toyhauler and the house to minimize the amount of time it is in direct sun light, but I'm tossing around the idea of adding a carport for the truck. Snow is not a big issue, nor is rain. The carport's primary job would be to keep the sun off the truck.

So the question for those of you in sunny locales, do you think it is worth the $1500-$2000 just to keep the sun off the truck? Are there addtional benefits I'm missing?

BTW, the truck sits basically unused for weeks at a time. I'm not concerned about it being cooler when I jump in since that happens so infrequently.

Sun fades and dulls paint. It also drys out and cracks interiors. I have an open 10X20 carport next to my garage and my truck still looks like new.

I paid $900 for my carport a while back.

Be sure you get one that can be easily converted into a greenhouse for growing marijuana when it get leagalized in Utah.

-----

szurszewski

We have a long but only one-car width driveway - one car gets to park along side the house in the carport and the other is uncovered. We aren't too sun soaked here in Portland, but it's pretty easy to see that the car in the carport benefits. Both are parked most of the time/rarely driven, but the uncovered one gets dirty, dusty, grimy faster and the interior is not holding up as well (even though it's six years newer). Less mildew/moss type growth on the carport car, but that is not an issue I imagine you would have.

It's also a great place to work on the bikes (which live in the garage, but it's crowded in there) out of the sun/rain what have you.

I would think your more economical solution is a cover. A couple hundred for a good one is still an order of magnitude less than a carport.

OTOH - if you plan to move a lazy boy out there and sit with the dogs, maybe the carport is the way to go.

I'm not an advocate for car covers, used outdoors. Here is some food for thought on that issue.

I'd opt to put up a good carport. It not only would help protect the value of the vehicle (interior & exterior) but it could add to the value of your home. It could also detract from the value of your home if done badly.

It's all your fault for having so many toys.

I'm not an advocate for car covers, used outdoors. Here is some food for thought on that issue.

I'd opt to put up a good carport. It not only would help protect the value of the vehicle (interior & exterior) but it could add to the value of your home. It could also detract from the value of your home if done badly.

It's all your fault for having so many toys.

Agree.

And if built on to house can be easily made into a garage.

I had to convert ours years ago to get insurance for a rare BMW car I had.

markgoodrich

On the other hand, what does it cost to have the truck painted after five years in the sun? By then you'll be too old to drive.

Archived