IGNORED

Torque settings anyone ??

WestyLancs

Hi there.

I have a 2006 RT, but have the newer, vented FD with drain plug at 6 o'clock, which was fitted last May.

I have the Haynes manual, but obviously not covering the FD drain and fill plugs.

Does anyone have the torque values for the drain, and fill plugs on this FD please, so I can chnge the oil at next tyre change?

Thanks.

I know I don't NEED the values to do the change, but I'd like to torque the things up properly afterwards.

Hi there.

I have a 2006 RT, but have the newer, vented FD with drain plug at 6 o'clock, which was fitted last May.

I have the Haynes manual, but obviously not covering the FD drain and fill plugs.

Does anyone have the torque values for the drain, and fill plugs on this FD please, so I can chnge the oil at next tyre change?

Thanks.

I know I don't NEED the values to do the change, but I'd like to torque the things up properly afterwards.

Yeah, lot's of folks are anal about torque values. Trouble is, when it comes to the smaller fasteners, bad things happen. Such as if the torque wrench is out of calibration, the smaller the fastener, the more likely the damage.

My piont is, I use the torque wrench for the heavy stuff, i.e., head bolts, wheel bolts & such. Fill & drain plugs I tighten till good & snug. Same with valve cover bolts. I've known all too many people here that have posted about striped bolts due to faulty torque wrenches.

Danny your right,I have to have my torque wrenches re-cal'd every year or I can use them to service aircraft.I have found them to be as mush as 22% out after only a few months.

Danny your right,I have to have my torque wrenches re-cal'd every year or I can use them to service aircraft.I have found them to be as mush as 22% out after only a few months.

Yikes! 22 percent is a lot. Pray tell where can we get our wrenches calibrated?

damn, you might need a torque setting for your shoe laces in the moarning.. get a ####### life

You may wish to re-read the user agreement.

The tone of your post falls short of the expected standard.

Andy.

damn, you might need a torque setting for your shoe laces in the moarning.. get a ####### life

And that from one who wants a temp gauge on his FD.

Thanks for the positive responses.

Andy,

I believe the proper torque for shoelaces is 6.66 NM.

Unless double bows are used and then it is 5.2 first and 6.2 second.

:lurk:

Andy,

I believe the proper torque for shoelaces is 6.66 NM.

Unless double bows are used and then it is 5.2 first and 6.2 second.

:lurk:

LOL! I must have read my shoelace manual wrong, I thought it was first the 5.2nm torque setting, then I had to measure an extra 6 MM "Tug".

Oh NOOOOO~!

You're all making a major assumption here - that I use laces !!

I use slip on shoes, and bike boots with zippers and velcro.

No torque settings required for either of those. :)

Most Machine shops can calibrate you wrenches for you. They will have a known torque plate that is used for reference. I will be happy to give you a phone number for a commercial shop that resets and calibrates them for you if you need a certified calibration. Just send me a P M.

Here's a reference I saved. Probably many or you are familiar with it.

How to do your own torque wrench calibration & testing:

Hi there.

Does anyone have the torque values for the drain, and fill plugs on this FD please?.

WestyLancs - don't know that in all the discussion about torque wrenches and shoelaces you ever got the definitive answer.

That's the same FD used in the 2009 RT. And indeed, the drain plug and the fill plug are 20 Nm. I just changed my FD fluid and looked up the torque values in the RepROM.

BTW - be sure you use a Torx on the drain plug, it's not a hex head like the fill plug.

JayJay

Can you give some information about fitting a bottom side drain plug on the 06 final drive.

I also have an 06 RT without a bottom drain plug. It would be much easier to change the lubricant

if it had one, like on my previous 1100 Rt.

Thank's,

Miklos in Utah.

Can you give some information about fitting a bottom side drain plug on the 06 final drive.

I also have an 06 RT without a bottom drain plug. It would be much easier to change the lubricant

if it had one, like on my previous 1100 Rt.

Thank's,

Miklos in Utah.

You should really start a new topic for this - but in short the bottom drain comes with a new FD.

Andy

Thanks Jay Jay,

I do believe the same figures are posted somewhere amidst the shoelaces and calibration videos.

Thanks for the note on the plug types too.

My Haynes only covers the bike as I got it, in 2006, hence the request.

Thanks Lee,

That's brilliant. I copied and pasted it onto a Word document.

I learn so much from this forum about everything. I'm surprised my shoes haven't been coming off.

Seriously though, that torque wrench testing procedure will be done before I use either of my wrenches again.

Thanks again for sharing that, Lee.

JR

I just bought another new torque wrench. I make an adapter and compare ALL my torque wrenches. None are more than a couple foot pounds from each other.

I do the same with my air pressure guages.

DSCN4076-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Jim VonBaden
Hi there.

Thanks.

Yeah, lot's of folks are anal about torque values. Trouble is, when it comes to the smaller fasteners, bad things happen. Such as if the torque wrench is out of calibration, the smaller the fastener, the more likely the damage.

My piont is, I use the torque wrench for the heavy stuff, i.e., head bolts, wheel bolts & such. Fill & drain plugs I tighten till good & snug. Same with valve cover bolts. I've known all too many people here that have posted about striped bolts due to faulty torque wrenches.

I agree. I do not trust the smaller settings on a torque wrench. I have seen too many bolts snapped off or stripped using a torque wrench when only trying to do 8nm.

Jim :Cool:

On a side note, the old fashioned "beam" style wrenches are very difficult to knock out of calibration. I have a good one I had calibrated years ago and use it as a reference to check the more convenient, but far less reliable, clicker wrenches.

I find a torque wrench pretty handy on smaller bolts. 6 mm bolts get around 106 inch pounds. I have a hard getting things like cam shaft tower bolts in properly with out a torque wrench.

I used a beam type for many years, then I bought this one.

5 to 105 foot pounds. Automatically converts to Newton Meters or inch pounds. Reads torque both on and off.

It beeps and vibrates when proper torque is reached.

DSCN4018-L.jpg

The breaker bar was bent on another job with a 6' pipe.

Archived