IGNORED

Wiring Autoswitch to 04 K1200RS

A_Boy_And_His_K

A_Boy_And_His_K

Christmas was good this year. I got a bunch of bike related toys, one of which was an AutoSwitch for my PIAA lights. I wired (or tried to wire) everything up last night and ran into a problem finding the signal cancel wire on my 04 K1200RS. The directions that came with the switch state the brown/white wire is the one to tap with the orange wire from the AS. They mention two locations to get the wire: in the bundle near the throttle side switch cluster or in a bundle behind the fan shroud on the throttle side (they say the right side, which I assume means as I sit on the bike.) I opted for the wire behind the fan shroud as it didn't involve opening up the protective wire wrap and it was a more concealed option.

But, the switch didn't change state. When I turned on the ignition, the AS LED lit red for about 2 seconds and went out. After that, holding the cancel button had no effect on the switch state and the lights would not come on. So I took the orange AS wire (the one to connect to the signal cancel wire) and connected it to ground momentarily. The switch changed state, the relay tripped and the lights came on. Groovy! So I checked for continuity between the wire I had tapped into and ground. It's always at ground, explaining why the switch wouldn't work.

So, after this long winded spewing of my tale of woe, my question to the collective is: which wire should I tap the orange AS wire to and in what location is that wire?

Here's to a healthy and prosperous new year for all. Thanks for any replies.

Allan

A_Boy_And_His_K

How stupid do I feel right now? I HAD to tap the wire before I finished for the night. I JUST HAD to. I looked this afternoon and discovered the damn thing was purple with a white stripe. Doh! dopeslap.gif

Tapped the brown/white and all's right with the universe.

Next time, when I think I should stop for the night, I'm going to.

Allan

Archived