IGNORED

New rider, and annew S 1000 RR

tkrandall

Member from many years ago here. North metro Atlanta area. Never been an owner/rider myself other than when I got a license at age 16 a few decades ago and had a enduro bike. Nonetheless I really enjoyed learning from and even participating in this community back around 8-11 years ago when it was still pretty new. I think I am a better motorcycle compatible car driver as a result.

My 20 year son old recently licensed rider just got himself a brand new S 1000 RR. Yes, that's right I'm afraid. No I am not happy. Quite concerned and a bit terrified actually at the thought of such capability and HP in such young hands.

I am encouraging him to take intermediate and street smarts classes from atlanta motorcycle schools. I would also like for him to at least associate and learn from more intelligent parts of the rider community such as this forum ad others like perhaps BMW owners of America would offer.

I welcome any advice/thoughts you may have. Prayers also welcome. He is so eager to get out on it and I know he is eager to ride fast. Too fast.

Proficient Motorcycling by Dave Hough is a must read.

If he doesn't learn defensive driving or has a big ego, he is going to get in big trouble. Atlanta is a tough, unforgiving area to hone riding skills. So many drivers focused only on themselves and their set of problems. Motorcycles are traffic cones when seen and inconsequential when not. Just keep reminding him that he's invisible and there's no reset in this video game.

------

Riding gear should be top shelf.

Training, on road such as w/Jim Ford, and track, ASAP.

Who's paying the insurance?

Best wishes.

In addition to what's already been said -

If he doesn't mind hanging out with a bunch of people much older, who have "been there and done that", he might consider going to HelenBack in April.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Training, on road such as w/Jim Ford, and track, ASAP.

I think professional track instruction is probably wise. If he's got only 4 years of driving experience and little-to-no riding experience, he'll find that things happen VERY rapidly on that bike, far more so than they ever did when he was behind the wheel. The track is the place to make those discoveries, to become intimately familiar with how the bike behaves under various circumstances, how rapidly it can accelerate and how limited the brakes are, how to put the bike where you want it to be instead of just hoping it goes there.

In parallel to track instruction, he needs to become the best defensive rider he can be. Hough has several books out there. Proficient Motorcycling has already been mentioned; I'll suggest Street Strategies as an alternative (or companion). These are the books that can teach a rider how to handle real-world road hazards, how to plan ahead, how to leave enough room to react when a situation develops in front of you, and so on.

Just as the FAA carefully investigates every near-miss incident, a rider should do the same. Every near miss is an accident that almost happened, and so it's a learning opportunity, and the question to ask yourself every single time - regardless of who you believe to be at fault - is "what can I do in the future to ensure that a close call like this never happens again?"

Slumgullion

Keith Code(Ca Super Bike School) rents 1000RR bikes for their track school which I would highly recommend. I've attended 3 of them and learned a great deal. As with most of our young people it's critical who they associate with. However you are in the consultant phase of your relationship w your son i.e. you will be heard when you are asked your opinion. I trust your son listens to you and values your opinion. It would be wonderful if you could take a Ca Super bike track school together on the 1000RR. Hopefully the message of going fast on the track not on the street will get across. As a twenty year old myself once I listened to motorcyclists much better than my Dad until in my late twenty's he all of a sudden got a whole lot smarter! My prayers are with you my friend.

Thanks for the replies. He did read proficient motorcycling several months ago. He has a good SHOEI helmet and I will continue to encourage him to get good full gear. He is using a leather Hein Gericke jacket I got for myself many years ago and it has gone unused.

If he doesn't mind hanging out with a bunch of people much older, who have "been there and done that", he might consider going to HelenBack in April.

Amazing to me how many folks here, with so much experience, halve yet to mention RideSmart.

What's wrong with you guy's? Do you not care?

Glenn, you've done RideSmart. Learn him.

Oh, & the hp thing. There's a switch on the left handlebar. Make sure you know it before he does.

Amazing to me how many folks here, with so much experience, halve yet to mention RideSmart.

What's wrong with you guy's? Do you not care?

Glenn, you've done RideSmart. Learn him.

Oh, & the hp thing. There's a switch on the left handlebar. Make sure you know it before he does.

Hi Danny :wave:, I absolutely do care, I just had not seen any mention of an upcoming offering, and didn't want to put pressure on the instructing corps to make another class available. I got a glimpse of the effort involved to put it on last year, as well as the dedication of those who did so. I would be perfectly willing to perform some low level gofer type function whenever the class comes around again.

P.S. - Your tip about elbow to knee if a corner tightens up is one I still use in those situations. Thanks again.

Foot the bill for some of the track based courses around Atlanta and Barber and over at BMW/Greenville. It will force the issue of being with a professional, having the right gear, and mind set.

Sign him up for two days so he gets oriented day one and then ingrains the riding skills taught to him.

If you can swing it, do several over spring and summer. It will give him a place to ride the S/RR in a very great way with speed, corning, vision, lines, braking and many other skills that are really very helpful It might just then soften the need to explore those things on the street to a degree. It has with me.

I would love an S/RR. I rode them with CSS and found them a delightful bike to ride in wet and dry. It is a very easy bike to ride easy.

So in that gift you give him a place to practice speed, a coach to watch him and correct him, the right gear for all the right reasons and a sense that speed and skills on a track transfer to less need for speed and better skills on the street.

Doing this you are going to have to let go of a few thousand bucks, but it might just give you good piece of mind to know you have again done a parental thing to prepare your son for the adult world.

NCS

Hi Danny :wave:, I absolutely do care, I just had not seen any mention of an upcoming offering, and didn't want to put pressure on the instructing corps to make another class available. I got a glimpse of the effort involved to put it on last year, as well as the dedication of those who did so. I would be perfectly willing to perform some low level gofer type function whenever the class comes around again.

P.S. - Your tip about elbow to knee if a corner tightens up is one I still use in those situations. Thanks again.

Glenn, I wasn't replying to you specifically. Of course I know you care.

As for a RideSmart class, don't wait for one. If you, or anyone that has taken the class has an opportunity to teach a rider, please do so. It's all about passing along knowledge, information, & experience.

As for a RideSmart class, don't wait for one. If you, or anyone that has taken the class has an opportunity to teach a rider, please do so. It's all about passing along knowledge, information, & experience.

I am willing to bet a class or two could be put together this year if folks were willing.

I am willing to bet a class or two could be put together this year if folks were willing.

In, as always.

In, as always.

I'm available to help (though Glenn may hesitate to give me an endorsement since I was such a stickler about stuff ;) )

Lone_RT_rider

In, as always.

I'm available to help (though Glenn may hesitate to give me an endorsement since I was such a stickler about stuff ;) )

I did not see this post.....I did not see this post.....I did not see this post.....

Shannon, stickler, shmickler, you made sure the lessons made it through my thick head, that was the point, wasn't it? :)

P.S. - I am just dense enought to NOT understand what Shawn is on about.

Every near miss is an accident that almost happened, and so it's a learning opportunity, and the question to ask yourself every single time - regardless of who you believe to be at fault - is "what can I do in the future to ensure that a close call like this never happens again?"
Sorry to pick at nits but they aren't "accidents", they are COLLISIONS. Accident implies no fault, it just happened. Collisions occur because of decisions made/not made. Otherwise I am fully with you on the point, Joe.
Lone_RT_rider

Glen, whenever these type A Program management wanna be's decide its time to hold a Riding Smart event, I end up getting the PM's asking me to organize it. lol.

I guess good (even bad) program managers all know how to delegate. :P:dopeslap:

Glen, whenever these type A Program management wanna be's decide its time to hold a Riding Smart event, I end up getting the PM's asking me to organize it. lol.

Ahh, now I understand.

I seem to remember bugging you myself last time, when I thought you were leaving the country to avoid teaching that one!

I resemble that remark! :rofl::rofl:

Lone_RT_rider

What'd he say? I wasn't listening. :grin:

Uh-huh... Mr. "I'll teach a lesson....wait, maybe I won't". :P

That recovery from that little power slide proved how well you teach!

That recovery from that little power slide proved how well you teach!

Who? When?

Lone_RT_rider

That's not what I said.

I'll PM you Danny....maybe I misunderstood you. It wouldn't be the first time i did that on this site. lol. :dopeslap:

That's not what I said.

I'll PM you Danny....maybe I misunderstood you. It wouldn't be the first time i did that on this site. lol. :dopeslap:

Happens to me all the time.

I'll explain it to you at the break... ;)

Archived