IGNORED

K12RS ABS System Pictures?

Laney

Maybe somebody out there knows how to search better than I? grin.gif I can't find any pictures or diagrams showing where the ABS pump is and how/where hoses connect to it.

This is an extension of a problem I posted about back in October -- Empty Brake Fluid Reservoir

I ended up filling the reservoir, made arrangements to take the bike back to the dealer for a pressure check, and finally got it checked four weeks afterwared. The dealer found no problems. I've ridden the bike just a few hundred miles since filling the reservoir, and it's almost empty again, but there aren't any signs of visible leaks on the outside of anything.

I'm just not sure what things are supposed to look like, so I was looking for some kind of picture or drawing.

If it's out there, would somebody please point me in the right direction? smile.gif

Somebody does know how to search better than I...

I remembered seeing Gary's pictures and write up on the old K board, but didn't use the right search terms to get to where you found it.

I also mistakenly remembered that Gary used the same screen name on the K-Bikes board that he has over here. No wonder I couldn't find a ghan over there. Now if i just would've searched for his avatar... dopeslap.gif

Robin is Queen of the Jungle -- that's her Mighty Roar pose. grin.gif You can almost see the tonsils... Wait do cats have tonsils?

Dennis Andress

The K board has an archive of the old i-bmw.com site tucked away under "Community Archive Forums." Everything there is seperate from the main site and has to be searched seperately.

Hey Laney, very long time no see.

Oh, and Eric it's AWOL tongue.gif and yes I've been mostly lurking the past 6 months.

So Laney, Buddy's got a drinking problem now and consuming his own brake fluid? First the smoking now this, clearly he's headed for a stroke at an early age. bncry.gif

I've never heard of this problem. The fluid has to go somewhere. If it was my bike I'd fill the reservoir up to proper levels then get a friend to help.

Remove the seat, right and left rear fairing panels and take the bolt out that holds the coolant overflow tank in place and swing it out of your way. Pull the caps off of the bleeders on all the calipers and the ABS box. That way you can see ALMOST every bleeder valve for the system. You'll have to use a flashlight and check between the battery and ABS unit to see if that one hidden bleeder is leaking. Switch on power and pull the front brake lever and mash the rear lever and see if you can find any fluid. Be sure to check the reservoirs themselves and the overflow tubes. A last resort would be to pull the battery so you can get the cap off of that one hidden bleeder to give it a good visual check.

If no fluid is found I can't think of where else to look, so get buddy back to the shop.

Let us know how it's going.

So Laney, Buddy's got a drinking problem now and consuming his own brake fluid? First the smoking now this, clearly he's headed for a stroke at an early age. bncry.gif

I think this is because Buddy's been hangin out with that Monkey again. dopeslap.gif

Hey Gary -- I haven't seen you here, on the K-bike board, or on the road for a really long time. It's good to see you stop in. smile.gif

Everything was checked Saturday, although I didn't know about the bleeder hiding behind or beside the battery.

Do you have a good idea where brake fluid would end up if that particular bleeder was the one leaking? The entire bike is almost as clean as when it was shipped -- it had no plastic or tank on it Saturday, and got everything underneath scrubbed. Any new drips should be easier to find. If you have a guess where I should look for a leak from that one, let me know.

Jerry, I think Buddy's acting of his own accord. The Monkey's been locked inside since Torrey. It's a long story... grin.gif

I think from this point on, any time a K-bike exhibits a problem that can't be diagnosed, it should be referred to as a "Buddy Event". If it ends up costing more than $750 to fix, it's deemed a "Major Buddy Event". tongue.gif

I think from this point on, any time a K-bike exhibits a problem that can't be diagnosed, it should be referred to as a "Buddy Event". If it ends up costing more than $750 to fix, it's deemed a "Major Buddy Event". tongue.gif

Ahhhh. Laney Kussman, MBE.

One of The Queen's Own. wink.gif

Everything was checked Saturday, although I didn't know about the bleeder hiding behind or beside the battery.

Do you have a good idea where brake fluid would end up if that particular bleeder was the one leaking?

Photo_6.jpg

The bleeder you are looking for is labeled F2 in the pic above and is opposite the bleeder labeled R2. In the pic "R" refers to the bleeders for the rear circuit and "F" refers to the bleeders for the front circuit, "1", "2" and "3" is the bleeding sequence. If any bleeder is leaking you should find fluid in the tip of the bleeder. Use a paper towl and twist it at the corner to form a "PROBE" to fit the bleeder tips. If it comes out wet........ruh roh.

Check all the brake lines as much as you can.

Good luck, but it sounds like Buddy is really sick. bncry.gif

Thanks Gary! Now here's a question, or maybe it's another question...

The cap and bleeder you have labeled as R2 were both fairly wet with dirty looking fluid, as if it hadn't been cleaned off after the fluid flush. There wasn't any sign of fluid leaking down from there, though. I've "lost" another 15 ml of brake fluid since I last filled it 300 or so miles ago, and I would've expected to see signs that it ran down somewhere, especially since the stuff is so nasty if it ends up on a painted surface.

Since there wasn't any fluid beyond R2, I didn't think it was a problem.

Is it likely they just didn't clean things after they bled and flushed the system? Or should I park the bike until something gets figured out and fixed?

OK, that was two questions... smile.gif

The cap and bleeder you have labeled as R2 were both fairly wet with dirty looking fluid, as if it hadn't been cleaned off after the fluid flush. I've "lost" another 15 ml of brake fluid since I last filled it 300 or so miles ago

So R2 was wet and no other bleeders were? And you've lost another 15ml of fluid?

Time to completely clean up and dry out that bleeder. Then try the pressure test by turning the key to "on" and applying both brakes.

Squeeze 'em long and hard, re-check the tip and repeat several times until you either get some fluid out or decide it just won't get wet. grin.gif (Then have a cigarette and relax in the moment thumbsup.gif)

If you do get some fluid either get buddy back to the dealer with new knowledge in hand and use your COMMAND VOICE to instruct the inept tech to tighten the bleeder or borrow the appropriate tool from someone to tighten it yourself and repeat the test until it stays dry.

If it never gets wet, take Buddy to the doctor anyway.

Oh, and Eric it's AWOL tongue.gif and yes I've been mostly lurking the past 6 months.

Jest moore efedence taht God mad mee a bitter rider then righter dopeslap.gifconfused.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Stop in more often Gary to keep tabs on Buddy's vitals & my grammatical earsdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Laney, I may be headed down the wrong road here, but just in case...

You mentioned "the leaking shock" was from "oil" you indicated was related to the oil cooler up front there. There are brake lines up there too, and it's the front system that's losing fluid.

Could it possibly be that "oil" was in fact brake fluid?

Best wishes with your investigation.

Could it possibly be that "oil" was in fact brake fluid?

It's easy enough to check, since the shock was perfectly clean on Saturday, the oil cooler fittings got tightened, and the bike's been ridden more than 50 miles since then. I didn't see any paint that was affected when everything was clean, and although I don't honestly know what the damage looks like, I've always heard that brake fluid is brutal to paint.

It's definitely worth looking at when I get parked at the end of today.

I've kept pressure on the front brake every time I've stopped going back and forth to work this week, plus I held the brake on and left the bike running for a few minutes when I pulled in to the garage last night. As soon as I got off, I put clean white paper under the bike. About three hours later, I started it and velcroed the brake lever down to the grip so the front brakes were full on, and let it run for a bit until it was warmed up enough to change idle speed.

The paper was clean this morning, so I'm left wondering.

I'm almost ready to be convinced nothing's wrong if the fluid level doesn't change over the next few hundred miles or the next few weeks.

Uh-oh... Didn't I say that about another problem I had with this bike last year? smirk.gif

Archived