IGNORED

Increasing R1200RT Luggage Space...

Hi, welcome.

Don't know about BMR today.

We use a GIVI 52L topcase that vastly increases capacity.

I'd suggest a new thread as this one is R1200 titled and you're

looking for R1100 info.

Should generate more response.

Best wishes.

Hi all,

Keeping this thread alive as I am after some information.

I have recently purchased a '96 R1100RT and am setting it up for touring. I have a RnineT for the weekend fun stuff, but it's just not comfortable for long trips.

And as people have caravans and boats sitting in the driveway for a couple times per year, I considered I could have a bike just for holidays!

I like the BMR Flatbed Rack as previously posted; BMR Flatbed Rack

I have emailed them a few times in the past week, but no reply.

I note that their last Facebook entry was 2010.

Does anyone know if they are still in business?

I am also hoping to get their cockpit mounting system at the same time to save on

shipping.

Otherwise have the racks come up in the classifieds periodically?

Thanks for your help.

I tried multiple emails and messages to BMR with virtually no response. I finally gave up and moved on. I use a MotoFizz bag on the passenger seat/rack

Thanks for the response @TracerBullet, looks like I'll need to move on too!

I have a large Ortleib roll-top bag that I can use across the passenger seat, but would have been nice to have a flat surface underneath rather than letting it flop over the sides.

I just need to find a decent tie-down point between the rider and passenger seats.

I also have a smaller bag similar to the MotoFizz that I will use on the rear rack to keep the weight down.

Hello Kakugo,

Everyone has opinions and learns things that have worked for them. For me the Helen Two Wheels gore tex bags strapped to the machine work great, including last summer to Ak. One bag for clothes and personal stuff; one bag for tent, so the wet stuff stays segregated from the rest; and one bag for sleeping bag, etc. Strapped down, the bags are solidly attached and much superior to bungee type cords.

Tried to attach or copy a pic of the fully loaded moto, but couldn't do it.

Hello Kakugo,

Everyone has opinions and learns things that have worked for them. For me the Helen Two Wheels gore tex bags strapped to the machine work great, including last summer to Ak. One bag for clothes and personal stuff; one bag for tent, so the wet stuff stays segregated from the rest; and one bag for sleeping bag, etc. Strapped down, the bags are solidly attached and much superior to bungee type cords.

kpax,

Take a look in Discussion Board Support - http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=4&page=1, and there are write-ups on how to use picture hosting on the web and post pics to the board.

Glenn

I'm a big fan of the BMR rack. Talked to Brett today. You can call him at 714 402 5842.

That's great news RichM, thanks for the update. :clap:

So can you confirm that his business is still up and running?

If you speak to him again in the next couple of days, can you please pass on that our emails haven't been answered?

I'll try to work out the best time to call from down here. Cheers. :D

Hello Kakugo,

Everything has been sorted... so far.

I have been using what around here we call "garbage bags", cheap waterproof roll packs tied with an eight point bungee cord of the kind that's used to keep garbage can lids on. Work like a treat and the whole contraption cost me pocket change. :thumbsup:

I would not do either. I'd use a large waterproof duffel like like Dirtrider mentioned but put it longitudinally so it doesn't stick out in the windstream. No additional rack is required for this method. It also does not interfere with rear view mirrors which I have found happens when put cross wise on the rear passenger seat.

That's my solution. Cheap, waterproof, visible (mine is neon yellow and cost under $30 from a sporting goods store). If needed, a second, smaller bag on top of the first is doable, too, as they are moldable/squishable. And it doesn't restrict access to the sidebags. Love the soft backrest it provides but think about it when you are packing it.

As for attachment, I use a bungee net/cords and the rack and hand holds but will probably switch to narrow tie down straps going forward.

I'm a big fan of the BMR rack. Talked to Brett today. You can call him at 714 402 5842.

That's great news RichM, thanks for the update. :clap:

So can you confirm that his business is still up and running?

If you speak to him again in the next couple of days, can you please pass on that our emails haven't been answered?

I'll try to work out the best time to call from down here. Cheers. :D

He's been busy building new prototypes for the latest bikes. Still in business and not going anywhere.

I sold my bmr rack, it fit nice but was heavy. I can securely tie the same amount of gear to the rails without it. It did make a nice camping table with the spike legs I had machined for it.

He's been busy building new prototypes for the latest bikes. Still in business and not going anywhere.

Got through on the phone today, spoke with Brett and so have now ordered the rack, excellent. (Happy to see he still has a few for the R1100RT in stock). :thumbsup:

I sold my bmr rack, it fit nice but was heavy. I can securely tie the same amount of gear to the rails without it. It did make a nice camping table with the spike legs I had machined for it.

I had in mind that same idea for removable legs to make a camp table.

Some fabricating is in order!

Glad it worked out for you.

My BMR rack works well for me.

We live in a rural area, Costco is 65 miles away. I rode there last week to get two car batteries. Tomorrow I'll go for two large bags of dog food. Any excuse for a ride, and the BMR rack legitimizes it for me.

Also have used it for firewood and cases of beer when camping.

I love it.

After stopping in at my local shop another solution for your packing woes: A trailer. Waterproof, buttloads of room, added visibility(?), better balance on the scoot. Get where you're going, drop it and go exploring, pick it up when you leave.

Archived