IGNORED

Increasing R1200RT Luggage Space...

Guest Kakugo

A friend and I are currently planning a long road trip this fall.

I usually travel very light so the RT cases and a tank bag are more than enough for me but since this trip is going to take us pretty far from home, I feel more luggage capacity is needed.

I am weighing two options at the moment:

1) A large (55L) Givi top case with optional top rack

2) The BMR Flatbed Rack

All things considered they'll come off more or less at the same price (Givi top cases have become rabidly expensive).

I am not a huge fan of top boxes, especially when riding at highway speeds (and we'll have a lot of highways ahead of us if this thing gets off the ground), but I well appreciate the convenience of having an extra locked compartment.

Personally I would have opted for a proper luggage rack to replace the stylish but useless OE unit but since it seems to be unavailable, the BMR looks like the closest thing to it, with the added bonus of a huge flat surface and plenty of attachment points.

Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated... as always! :thumbsup:

Morning Kakugo

Lots of ways to go on extra luggage. If you aren't going to ride with a rear seat passenger then I have found that one Large & one Medium sized water-proof Roll top bag (mainly used in Kayaking) fits nicely behind the rider & up tight against the top box & sit nicely on the stock rear seat. (these bags have tie down loops along each side to pass straps through). They are also completely water proof to depths of something like 5 meters. (I haven't EVER had one leak that I properly rolled the top on)

A single stretch strap from rear passenger handle over the bags, then around & under the top box, then over the bags & back to the other passenger handle is all that needed to securely hold them on at moderate speeds. Personally I use an extra 2 stretch straps in an X formation over the bags from the passenger handles. (these are personally certified by me to retain the bags at speeds well above 200 KPH.

I never lock them but the loops on the sides would make them somewhat lockable to the bike & the roll top has snap loops that would make the ends lockable. Obviously a sharp knife could defeat that but easy to prevent a quick grab & run off.

One of the things I like about the soft water proof bags is they make a great back rest to lean back against on a long boring freeway stretch.

The obvious advantage to a top box is that it's waterproof and lockable. I don't like the idea of putting a rack on top of a top box and adding even more weight up high and that far back. I've got a GIVI 47-liter box on my R1200RT and when needed (rarely) strap a soft tail bag or waterproof duffel bag to the passenger seat with Rok straps. If you need more than that maybe you need a Goldwing - or a car :)

pete

GIVI

Lockable, waterproof, can add lights.

We have done a bit of two up touring and I prefer the security of hardcases.

My GIVI has seen way up into triple digits (of course on a closed

course) w/no issues.

We use bag liners for easy packing and going into hotel etc.

When we unpack I can lock helmets/GPS/tankbag(w/electronics in it)

in the empty hard cases.

Saw many cases of failed straps and problems w/soft bags attached to the bike.

YMMV

I would not do either. I'd use a large waterproof duffel like like Dirtrider mentioned but put it longitudinally so it doesn't stick out in the windstream. No additional rack is required for this method. It also does not interfere with rear view mirrors which I have found happens when put cross wise on the rear passenger seat.

Guest Kakugo

Thanks for the replies.

I already own a selection of waterproof bags but I've always, and I mean always, have had problems properly securing it to the RT, perhaps due to the lack of top box. No problems on all other bikes and tested them in Germany at Autobahn speeds. :grin:

My rationale behind the flatbed was it would have allowed me to carry a gigantic waterproof bag I have downstairs which can hold pretty much everything I could conceivably need, and more, but needs a huge flat surface to be properly seated.

You probably already know but using cinch straps rather than bungies is usually much more stable when mounting anything. Touratech as well as many others sell them.

Used Givis are a good option if the price of new is bothering you. Check E-Bay and your local are Craigslist, they come up quite frequently. As mentioned, having a top-box allows you to also attach a roll-bag or other smallish waterproof bag to your passenger seat with a little more security than w/out a bag in the back. Use good straps!

52 liter GIVI works well for me. I have a large Ortlieb dry bag that can be strapped to the passenger seat if I ever need that much storage.

I tried the bmr and found it to be to heavy. I also could put the same size bag on my rear seat (Russell) just as easy without the bmr. I have a pelican on the rear and also have a givi but avoid using the givi because its very top heavy. If the bag on the seat isn't enough you might have to much crap. I also do like a tank bag

Givi Maxia 52 ltr box and normal cases usually work for us even two up on camping tripswith a BMW tank bag as an extra.

For extended trips I've had no problems with an 'Ortleib' copy roll bag fixed on a Givi rack, on top of the topbox

on a Givi rack but only for bulky, light items.

Don't profess to have used it at 'high' speed, but certainly no issues at UK Motorway speeds (75mph/130kph ish)

I am not a huge fan of top boxes, especially when riding at highway speeds ...

Yet, you can COUNT on the fact the BMW top box was aerodynamically and dynamically tested by BMW and ...

... none of the other solutions, i.e. aftermarket boxes, duffel bags, etc., were.

When I ride my R1200RT with the 49l topbox I can't even tell it's there.

Now, there's data as opposed to ... ?

I am not a huge fan of top boxes, especially when riding at highway speeds ...

Yet, you can COUNT on the fact the BMW top box was aerodynamically and dynamically tested by BMW and ...

... none of the other solutions, i.e. aftermarket boxes, duffel bags, etc., were.

When I ride my R1200RT with the 49l topbox I can't even tell it's there.

Now, there's data as opposed to ... ?

Afternoon Kent

Yes, BMW does thoroughly test those top cases at speed, therefore the sticker inside my top case says the top speed of bike should not exceed 180KPH with top case installed.

Bet yours has (or had when new) a similar sticker on safe top speed limitation when using that top case.

P7110585.JPG

The luggage rack will hold quiet a bit of stuff. We rode two up like this for 3500 miles/11 days. No handling problems, even at higher speeds. I did use 4 sets of H2W nylon straps.

I ride with the two bmw side cases and the top cases. If I am in need of more space I carry a NorthFace Waterproof duffle strapped to the rear seat as Dirt mentioned. I got the bag at REO, size large. I can still work the panniers with it attached. It has lots of buckles and places to attach it. I put a net around it ( actualy takes two nets in tandem) and then a couple of small ropes tied to the top carrier rack cris crossed. Never been a problem and I have traveled coast to coast that way twice. It also allows you to put some things in the top of the duffle you might need.

The best benefit though is it makes one heck of a nice back rest.

http://www.rei.com/product/804285/the-north-face-base-camp-duffel-large

Guest Kakugo

Thanks again everybody, you've been a terrific help so far.

Problem #1: the 49L BMW top box is about 500€. :dopeslap: I am sure my dealer could give me a good discount but we would be still north of the 400€ mark for an item I would use once or twice a year. That's an awful lot of money.

Problem #2: thanks for clearing things about the BMR flatbed rack. Seems like unless I am packing half of my house on the back of the bike there's no need for it.

So after giving it some thought...

Solution #1: buy a second hand top box (Givi, Kappa, Shad etc) and a brand new fitting kit.

Solution #2: buy some good quality straps and use the bags I have available. I run a test yesterday evening by stuffing some old pillows inside one of the bags and tying it to the bike with bungee chords using a variation of the method described by DR. Pretty satisfied with the arrangement but not with bungee chords themselves.

Still plenty of time to think about it so keep the suggestions coming while I pinch pennies. ;)

Morning Kakugo

I use (pre takover) HelenTwowheels (H2W) pack straps around the passenger hand rails as that allows positive (& easy to get to) hold down strap attachment as they stick up a few inches but stay locked tight (in place) on the hand rails .

For hold down straps my personal favorites are flat wide elastic straps (very similar to ROK straps) only from an industrial source.

I tried non-elastic straps & they work OK but need to be tightened occasionally when using roll-top waterproof bags. The bags trap air inside that will make the bags initially seem tight but after 3 or 4 hours on the road the bags will bleed down a bit & the straps will loosen. This is especially true if you have something in the bags that will compress as you ride like a fluffy sleeping bag, or a tent, or pillow & a real pain if you ride at >120 KPH.

One other (to me important) thingy I will add: I you are camping on this trip & taking a tent? Put the tent & ground cloth in it's own (separate) water proof bag. If you pack up & leave early in the morning most likely the tent will be soaking wet from the night dew. There is just no way you want a wet tent or filthy ground cloth in with your sleeping bag or clean clothes.

Play with your bag strapping & strap attachment points as you are doing now & you will find a strap configuration that works even at very high speeds (I always have anyhow).

I traveled around the US (4 corners) & to Alaska with no rear top case on my 1150RT. What I found when no rear case is used to strap against is to SECURELY strap the front bag on the rear seat first. That is then the anchor so must be secure in it's own right. Then the other bags & gear can be strapped down as well as to that anchor bag.

7914_2554_large.jpg

+1 on H2W straps. I use two straps (handles to frame) to hold one large duffle bag with roller wheels. I may upgrade to the REI North Face bag...

I've used the Sealine roll down bags. I have several in different sizes, including a 55L. I would lay the bag across the seat behind me and strap it down with ROK Straps. The 55L would allow me to carry an extra motorcycle jacket and pants in addition to lots of clothes. The 40L is still large enough to carry lots of stuff, just not the extra jacket and pants.

I connected it in the back to the lower sides of the luggage rack and in the front to Bungee Buddy attached to the top of my side cases.

This setup was always rock solid at any speed. It was also inexpensive and did not require any big modification to the bike.

One of the things I like about the soft water proof bags is they make a great back rest to lean back against on a long boring freeway stretch.

Absolutely. I've one I picked up at a sporting goods store(in screaming yellow) for $30 and runs from ad hoc backrest position to the end of the rack. Just pay attention to what you pack where, you don't want a pair of shoes against your lower back for 300 miles.

DR,

wrt strapping front bag securely to rear seat

I found that running a double loop under the seat helped with that aspect.

We use a U pack when camping and that technique helps me anchor the U pack as you are cinching the bag to a loop.

YMMV

malcolmblalock

Roc Straps rock! Use them all the time, including two cross-country rides and a 6 week trip to Alaska and back. Zero problems. They stretch just enough to stay tight when things compress or air leaks as D R explained. Have seen speeds of 113 once and >100 many times with no ill effects in handling. No affiliation with Roc Straps; just a very satisfied customer.

I mounted a Givi rack on the BMW top case. We travel 2 up a lot and have used it extensively without a problem. I have not however tried it at 120 mph.

smrack.jpg

Rok Straps and H2W roll top duffel.

But the single best addition I made to my RT was to add some GS mirrors. The stock rear vision items looks nice but are hard to use AND if you put a bag crosswise on the rear seat like the H2W duffel, you lose rear visibility.

sebjones906

I have a BMR flat bed. I use it for packing my rainproof bag with sleeping bag and tent. I like weight low and horizontal. I also use it for hard cases (gun cases) when I go to the range. It R & R's easily and anything packed on it is tight and secure.

If you travel with a passenger it is out.

If what you want to pack on it needs to be under lock and key, it is out.

But for big bulky bags it is far superior to lashing things to the seat.

malcolmblalock

I second rgmanley's comment. If you use a bag perpendicular to the bike on the passenger's seat, your visibility will be reduced (or eliminated) in the stock mirrors. (Don't ask how I know). I use some off a K bike that work great and solve that problem.

"...If the bag on the seat isn't enough you might have to much crap.."

I have thought that same thing.....about ME. :P

But over the years I've gotten to the point that I really can't leave anything behind if I can find a place for it on the bike. I use a thin tankbag, a BMW 52<?>l topcase, side cases and a "Biker's Friend" medium roll-bag on the passenger's seat. I never camp, but I do like bring "just in case items". Also books, a netbook, and a bag of chargers for my cameras, GPSs, BT headset, etc. I seem to always have what I need, and usually return home with 20% of the junk I carry untouched. However, there have been occasions where I was very glad I had the extra junk with me! :Cool:

"..When I ride my R1200RT with the 49l topbox I can't even tell it's there..."

I've had RTs with the BMW case, and RTs with a Givi case. In neither case can I tell they are there on the highway. However, the BMW case, because it's double-sided, doesn't have so much room. If I were getting a replacement case, it'd NOT be a BMW case.

I second rgmanley's comment. If you use a bag perpendicular to the bike on the passenger's seat, your visibility will be reduced (or eliminated) in the stock mirrors. (Don't ask how I know). I use some off a K bike that work great and solve that problem.

I use a Biker's Friend bag (size Medium), which mounts perpendicular on the passenger's seat. My view with the OEM RT's mirrors is limited, but by the BMW OEM side and top case. I guess my big butt must "mask" the Biker's Friend! I started using the Biker's Friend several years ago on my motorcycles as it gives me a little back support, and it's a very hand place to store my rain gear and other large thing I need to access quickly on the road. Using it also allows me to pack heavy items so I don't need to put them in the top case, which in theory ought to help handling I have read.

kkap1

PS - I use the "Enter an image" icon to list my photo, but it shows as a link, not the actual photo. What's wrong?

Deek,

We carry stuff for 2 including shoes/notebook, all chargers (phone/computer/GPS etc).

Books/spare glasses/first aid/compressor/tire repair/fuses/relay/oil sight glass/ etc.

We sometimes have 8-10 pairs of gloves and rain gear too.

Also personal defense items.

Camping the list is too long for here (use U pack).

If you're filling 2 saddlebags/topcase and seat bag perhaps a review of contents is in order.

Not being negative as its your ride, just a comment.

I don't pack light and can't imagine needing more packing space than on the RT.

Throttle sidecase on mine is tools, maps, cleaners, etc

Clutch sidecase is riding gear layers for days ride plus my netbook loaded with GS-911 software and shop manual

Topcase holds a bag with clothes- goes inside if at a motel- and enough for a couple weeks without washing.

Tank bag holds drinking water, wallet, and is electrified for chargers

Rear seat will hold camping gear and cooking gear in a single bag if camping ("3 person" tent, sleeping bag, cookset, etc)

Or it might hold my Veskimo if I'm anticipating mucho miles in 100 degree heat...

If I needed more than all that I suppose I could add the Harley rack on top of the topcase as some have done. If I did two up for longer trips, this might be needed but my SO rides her own..

More than- time for a truck...

Guest Kakugo

Again thank you very much for all your kind comments.

I had to take quite some time to read through them all.

As I said before I tend to travel very light and, usually, most of my space is taken by the various trinkets I buy while away (last time I even bought some chew toys for the dogs...).

All things considered I would have probably already pulled the plug on a Givi top box... if it weren't so damn expensive. Second hand would be good but I am yet to find one.

Right now I am leaning toward using one of the waterproof bags I already own and just buy some new chords to go with it. Local industrial supply place has plenty of them in all lengths and shapes and I could get away with it on the cheap. :)

Deek,

....If you're filling 2 saddlebags/topcase and seat bag perhaps a review of contents is in order.

Not being negative as its your ride, just a comment.

No problem, I totally agree! I think I often bring too much.....and much is unused when I get back to homebase. Mainly I bring too many clothes.....in the summer I still bring some warm things, and vice versa. I suppose if I have the storeage space, I put something into it! The few times I've gone without a topcase I seem to manage just swell, but I'd rather have the extra storage. One thing I've notice, as I'm sure you have, is packing for a 4 day trip isn't much different that a 14 day trip. Gotta love those washable undies! But I learned the hard way not to try to dry wet gloves and t-shirts in the microwave.....

I have been surprised once or twice by a sudden change in the weather. Lately I have been doing better.....on a trip to AZ in the heat of August I skipped the cool weather clothing......then used my credit card to outfit myself with a nice warm winter, water-resistent riding jacket, gloves, etc. Of course, at that point I AGAIN had too much stuff! :dopeslap:

Doug_Baliko

I have a Shad SH-50 and love it. Great quality, readonable price, and you don't have to use a key to open it every time if you don't want to. It works just like the BMW side cases.

Doug

..Shad SH-50 and love it. Great quality, readonable price, and you don't have to use a key to open it every time if you don't want to....

That's a big advantage over the Givi case I have. Keeps to be a PITA.....and I occasionally forget the Givi key in the lock and ride off! Not sure if all the Givi's are that way, but mine sure is!

Replying to myself again.......

I recently did a short tour to the Arkansas Ozarks and realized I pack even more than I thought.....along with what I've mentioned earlier, I also took a package about 3 by 6 by 8 inches that contains some "survival gear". That is a fire starter, space blanket, first air kit, mechanical flashlight, whistle and a few other tools, concentrated food and odds and ends. Thank goodness I have never used that kit....yet. I use the same one if I kayak in the booies. Used the kit once on a paddle trip to start a fire. Both the motorcycle and kayak are generally solo, so if I'm stuck somewhere, especially hurt, I am on my own.

I also realized again how fast the weather than change. I left Memphis at 40°, and the folling day rode at 80°. I should have taken a second pair of riding pants, but did not to save space. But I sure would have been more comfortable if I've found room for those mesh pants! My winter-waterproof pants at 40° became rather clammy at the higher temperature!:Cool:

Remove the winter liner, add mesh athletic pants.

They weigh next to nothing, take up little space, add a layer

between skin and pants, allow for air circulation and evaporation, increase temperature use range and comfort.

IMO if you're stuck in the boonies starting a fire can be done with a lighter and kindling. (Not talking Alaskan trek).

But it is rare for a broken down bike leading to death from exposure in today's world.

Mesh pants, with a liner (ususally rain/wind) and a pair of fleece microfiber pant gives you a lot of cold weather options.

Add rain pants over that and you're good to belwo 40.

If it is that cold and you're preparing for wide temps adding Gerbings to keep core warm will help

a great deal.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

I've been reading this thread with interest as a new problem has presented itself to me.

I am very happy with the luggage system (BMW Panniers & Top Box)for normal two week touring 1 up. Now my partner is coming along more and more, which is great, and the duration is getting longer, which is also great.

However, the capacity of the stock luggage just doesn't cut it any more for these big trips. I am in favour of the roll bag solutions and use them on other bikes I have.

Has anyone seen or heard of a rack that can be mounted to the RT that increases the width and length so as roll bags and their kind sit better on the back without sagging?

TIA

Brian

Hi All

I've been reading this thread with interest as a new problem has presented itself to me.

I am very happy with the luggage system (BMW Panniers & Top Box)for normal two week touring 1 up. Now my partner is coming along more and more, which is great, and the duration is getting longer, which is also great.

However, the capacity of the stock luggage just doesn't cut it any more for these big trips. I am in favour of the roll bag solutions and use them on other bikes I have.

Has anyone seen or heard of a rack that can be mounted to the RT that increases the width and length so as roll bags and their kind sit better on the back without sagging?

TIA

Brian

A better solution might be to get two roll up bags and lay them on top of the side cases.

Or re-examine what your are trying to pack.

Many of us can travel 2up w/out adding additional bags.

This is always easier, cheaper, and better in the long run, IMO.

Has anyone got Sean Daly's list of what to pack for two people. I don't even know if he used a top case? He and Shelly traveled quite nicely. I'll look again to see if I can find it.

FOUND IT IN THIS THREAD

Here is a cut and paste of Sean's post, which is how to pack for two up camping!

Go ultralight on about everything. (look at ultralight backpacking equipment and practices).

- Ultralight backpacker's tent. I had custom poles made for mine that are short enough to fit inside my topcase or side cases when collpased.

- Instead of a conventional 3-season sleeping bag, get an ultralight summer bag like the REI Travel Sack 55+. It stuffs into a sack the size of 1/2 a loaf of bread. Buy a sleeping bag liner for added insulation if you really think you need it. Then, and here's the important part...wear your riding gear to bed if it's cold. Zip up in your 'Stitch, then climb in your ultralight sleeping bag and you're set.

- Sleeping pad should be (you guessed it) an ultralight backpacker's version. Thin, inflatable, 3/4 length instead of full length, rolls up to about 1/2 bread loaf size.

- Clothing: Microfiber long-sleeve collared shirts and microfiber convertible pants. 2 of each. That's it. Wear one set while washing the other set in a restroom wash basin or creek. No underwear (the pants already have a liner like swim trunks). Pants include zip-off legs to convert to shorts, and a built-in belt. The microfiber shirts are flexible; sleeves can be rolled up or down depending on temps. The collar on the shirt, and tucking your shirt in, means you can still be appropriately dressed when dining at the local rib joint in town. Think it might get cold? Bring a wool hat. Keeping your head warm, you can be cozy wearing t-shirt and shorts in a blizzard. Wear your wool hat to bed too. Oh, and wear your riding gloves to bed while you're at it too. Just when it's time for bed, dress like you're going for a ride, put on your wool hat instead of a helmet, climb in your sleeping bag and go nite nite. I'd also sometimes bring "disposable" t-shirts (you know, those shirts you either throw away or make into rags because they're so old). Don't throw it out, save it, wear it for a day or two on your trip then throw it out or burn it in the campfire. Don't have to worry about washing it or packing it back home then.

- Shoes: Wear your riding boots. If you have the luxury of extra space, maybe pack a pair of flip flops or cheap old sneakers. Get a small length of webbing with a cinch buckle, put the two shoes together toe-to-heel, tongues facing each other. Put the webbing around the shoes and cinch as hard as you can while putting your knee into it. You'll be amazed how much you can compress a pair of sneakers. I like cheap-old stuff, because if I decide I need more space in my bags for something else then I won't miss them when I throw them out while on my trip.

- Kitchen items: No liquid fuel backpacker's stoves. They're too big and bulky, plus the liquid fuel hazard. Get an Esbit-type solid fuel pellet stove. It's the size of a deck of playing cards. Carry a cheap plastic bowl and spoon if you want, or just retain your McDonald's drink cup from your last stop and ask them for a spoon. Better yet, who needs a spoon. I am a coffee addict, so I must have my 500ml "bullet-type" thermos. Carry a couple of paper coffee filters and ground coffee. Put the paper filter in the top of your thermos (don't let it fall inside) with some coffee grounds in it and pour hot water through it. Don't forget individual packets of sugar and creamer. These can be obtained for free (McDonalds is your friend). Oh, you'll need some sort of vessel to heat water in over your Esbit stove. Get a compact fancy titanium one if you must, but a tin can works just as well. Of course the freeze-dried backpacker meals work well, but also consider MRE's with the included heating elements. No need to carry a stove then (or you can save your fuel pellets to make coffee). Small flask of Jack Daniels or similar spirit is a must too. Helps keep you warm at night in addition to relaxing by the campfire. I like Jack because of its compactness, versatility (straight up, with water over ice, with 7up, with hot water and sugar, etc. etc.), and it just tastes good too.

- Toiletries: Get a compact/lightweight toiletry bag, or just use a Ziploc Freezer Bag. Buy a bunch of 1 ounce plastic bottles and put your toiletry essentials in these bottles instead of carrying around large 6-12 ounce bottles. Also hit your local CVS/WalMart/Target, go to the asile with the sample/travel size tooth brushes, toothpaste, deoderant, soap, etc. and get those for your compact travel kit.

Anyway you get the idea. Look at all your gear and cut its size and bulk in half or more. Think thinner, lighter, smaller, compact multi-use. Lots of things you can do without too. Anyway, my wife and I had no problem packing my RT down for 2-up riding with a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 inflatable sleeping pads, and misc items just in the top case. Then I packed my clothing and personal items in the left saddlebag, and my wife did the same in the right saddlebag. We didn't have to lash anything down to the outside of the saddlebags or motorcycle--it all fit inside the cases. We had no problem traveling for a week or more at a time for long distances like this, although I think my wife got a little tired of the frequent laundry washing.

Edited by Sean (01/27/10 05:56 PM)

You'll have lot's of room without the camping equipment ;)

P7110585.JPG

The luggage rack will hold quiet a bit of stuff. We rode two up like this for 3500 miles/11 days. No handling problems, even at higher speeds. I did use 4 sets of H2W nylon straps.

Ya but...................

Most camels aren't loaded that high. :grin:

One of the other ways to increase carrying capacity is to use compression bags for your clothes inside the existing cases. These bags enable you to squeeze the air out of stacks of clothes and compress their volume down to about 20% of their non-compressed volume. This way you can pack more clothing and soft items into the same space.

If you're brave, RKA has a set of bags that sit atop the side cases. They're pretty generous in size and, if I remember correctly, are expandable. The downside? You have to drill small holes in your saddlebags.

• 1 year later...
Freedom Outlaw

I do not camp and travel incredibly light. If you want to get some great ideas go to flyertalk.com. One tip I've gleaned from that forum is you should roll up all your shirts and pants rather than fold them. Try it, it works.

I take this one step further, if a shirt is long sleeve, I put two rubber bands on it, short sleeve one. Look at Ex Officio clothing. The products, to me, are outstanding. They are very comfortable, wick away moisture much better than Under Armour, Nike, etc.. They are pricey but well worth the $$$.

On my old RT with the quick mount expandable tank bag I could easily travel 3-4 days out of the tank bag alone.

The panniers only held a few energy bars, minimal tools other than a tire patching kit, rain suit and a small laptop.

To each his own, I figure if I get on the road and I really, really need something I can either find it at a store or simply order it online with expedited shipping. I've never had to do the expedited shipping, but I have bought a few thing whilst in route.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Keeping this thread alive as I am after some information.

I have recently purchased a '96 R1100RT and am setting it up for touring. I have a RnineT for the weekend fun stuff, but it's just not comfortable for long trips.

And as people have caravans and boats sitting in the driveway for a couple times per year, I considered I could have a bike just for holidays!

I like the BMR Flatbed Rack as previously posted; BMR Flatbed Rack

I have emailed them a few times in the past week, but no reply.

I note that their last Facebook entry was 2010.

Does anyone know if they are still in business?

I am also hoping to get their cockpit mounting system at the same time to save on shipping.

Otherwise have the racks come up in the classifieds periodically?

Thanks for your help.

Archived