IGNORED

96 RT fumes up the garage on cold starts.

Tommie

When I start my 96 RT after about a minute it goes lean and fumes up the place. When it warms up to operating temps it clears up. It driving me crazy. I checked the valve, re sync the throttle bodies, set the TPS to .390 volts and relearned the TPS. And the problem is still there. I read something about the 02 closed and open loop, and asking if that could be the problem. HELP. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evening Tommie

I could be a lot of things. At just one minute of running that is pretty early for the 02 to come online unless your garage is mighty warm inside.

It might even be a crack in the catalytic converter (not that rare on the older 1100RT's).

For us to help you without a lot of guessing we could use a lot more info from you.

Like--

How many miles on the bike?

When did you notice the problem start?

What color CCP (if any) is in the fuse box?

Anything like a Techlusion fuel controller on the bike?

Any other additions to enhance performance?

Is the cat. still on the bike? (not the 4 legged whiskered type)

Before starting the bike, remove the oil filler cap & sniff the oil in the engine, does it smell like gasoline? (yes or no)

Do you get or hear sucking/whooshing sound when opening the fuel filler cap after riding the bike for a while?

Anything else you can add that isn't stock or has been changed?

I have 68k miles on the bike. The CCP is installed and yellow in color. The bike is stock with no performance modifications. There is no fuel smell in the oil. The gas tank is venting properly. I replaced the stock exhaust with a used stock unit two years ago. Ran it through flood water a year ago where the whole exhaust was submerged from time to time but never stalled. I first noticed it when the bike returned from my local dealer after having the final drive rebuilt and the right cylinder head re torqued. I have no idea where the cat. Is located. Other than that nothing has been changed besides me setting the TPS today.

roger 04 rt
When I start my 96 RT after about a minute it goes lean and fumes up the place. When it warms up to operating temps it clears up. It driving me crazy. I checked the valve, re sync the throttle bodies, set the TPS to .390 volts and relearned the TPS. And the problem is still there. I read something about the 02 closed and open loop, and asking if that could be the problem. HELP. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like an interesting problem. When you say "it goes lean and fumes up the place" I can really picture what's happening. Going lean usually means misfiring, is that what's happening? And by fuming up the place I think you means there is a sting odor of gasoline. Am I understanding you correctly?

What were the last couple things that were done to the bike before this started?

Misfiring. I have detected a slight miss with the fast idle on. Glad you mentioned it. Because it back fires on deceleration a lot. Which also prompted me to adjust the Tps. Also thought the exhaust or O2 may have failed. Considering changing both with an eBay low mileage unit. Key point here is the backfiring on deceleration. That and the smoke began at the same time. I think I may have misspoke when I said going lean instead of rich.

Morning Tommie

Ok thanks for the info.

If your problem started after a visit to the dealer then you might start your search by calling the dealer & talking to them about EXACTLY what they did or removed when working on the bike.

Find out how far they went in when re-torquing the cyl head.

If the dealer isn't much help then things that MIGHT have changed when they worked on the bike.

1)-Sometimes a vehicle will come into a dealer with something wrong with the fuel system so they need a place to dump the old fuel. Unfortunately that can be other bikes in the shop if their storage is full. (long shot but possible). If you have put many tank-fulls through the bike since the repair then this is probably not the issue.

2)- Possibly they pinched the fuel return line or the tank vent line when reassembling the bike. (if they didn't have the tupperware off then not real likely)

3)- When working on the R/H cyl head it's possible the 02 sensor wire got re-routed along & too close to the R/H spark plug wire. That can cause cross talk & some strange fueling issues. (again, if they didn't have the tupperware off then not real likely)

4)-If for some reason they had the R/H cyl head off (like head gasket replace) then possibly a mis-timed R/H cam.

5)- Possibly you now have an exhaust leak (you can't always hear them). That can allow air to be sucked into the exhaust system & produce a lean-burn that will positively burn your eyes. An exhaust leak can also cause your post fire popping on decel.

6)- have you been riding the bike regularly? You are not just running it in place to warm it up then shutting it off are you? If so you need to ride it as running it in place without riding could be your issue. (just mentioning this not criticizing)

7)-How old is the gasoline in the tank? (if older than a month replace it or ride it out)

8)- Maybe look for a cracked spark plug porcelain or a high resistance (open) spark plug wire on the side the dealer worked on. Look at the ign coil also as it is easy to pull the spark plug wire partially out of the coil while working on the bike.

9)- Things I missed?

I guess the bottom line here is: IF you are regularly riding the bike & adding new fuel to the tank & your post fire popping & exhaust smell started when you had the bike serviced then see if you can track down what the dealer did, mis-did, or changed during their service.

Mainly look at 02 sensor harness routing, spark plug wire integrity, fuel lines routing & pinching, exhaust leaks, cracked spark plugs, fuel age, TB balance, etc.

Went through the bike today. Using an insense I found exhaust leakage at cylinder to header mating area. Tighten both up and resync the throttle again. Seems to be some improvement. Won't know till I get a cold start in the morning. Thanks all D.R. You are the man. Will let you know if the fix works tomorrow.

Morning Tommie

Is your dropped throttle post fire popping gone or still there?

Have you ridden the bike since the exhaust leak repair? You might need to give the bike a good hard ride to clear it up.

Did you check the top of the cat converter at rear & at top for any signs of cracking?

Before taking it to the dealer you might ride most of the gasoline out of the fuel tank (or suck it out) then put in new (fresh) fuel & ride the heck out of the bike. That is probably the first thing the dealer is going to do, no sense in paying the dealer money to do that.

At that kind of mileage, its probably oil blowing past the rings, especially if it clears after a while. A good thrash is the answer and a refill with nw fuel for luck.

Archived