IGNORED

Carry drinking water on bike?

siclmn

Why are motorcycles not set up to carry drinking water like bicycles? It would involve water bottle mounts with big bottles and a delivery system like a tube to grab and suck on. I know that you could wear a camelback but how about a system that would mount on the bike? Is there such a thing?

russell_bynum

I know that you could wear a camelback but how about a system that would mount on the bike? Is there such a thing?

Sure. Just stick your camelback in your tankbag.

I don't know of such a motorcycle-specific device, but here in Arizona in the summer it is very common to see Camelbak rigs both with touring riders and at track day. I prefer to carry my water in bottles in my tank bag and stop to drink, but lots of folks use the little "sucky-tube" deals.

I guess you could always rig up a helmet like this: smile.gif

meBeerHat.jpg

I added a camelbak for the first time this summer, and all I can say is what was I thinking before. Actually, my son gave me the camelbak and I will be in debt to him forever.(good thing he doesn't read this board) It definitely made the difference when I made the ride from home (30 mi w of Chicago) to the east coast of RI in 90 plus degree weather.

I use a Camelbak "Unbottle". A couple of nylon straps with buckles allows me to attach it to the leading edge of my saddle bag. (Straps with buckle clamped inside saddle bag)

I carry three 16oz water bottles in a 'soft' cooler bag in my side case. Two are frozen, which'll keep the third one cold, when it's gone the frozen ones are half ice/water. It's nice to 'get off' stretch your legs every 1-1/2 hour or so while drinking (water that is). Refill at night for the next day...... thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I never venture on a long ride without my Camelbak. I fill it with ice and then with water. Wear it under my 'Stitch in hot weather, outside when it's cooler. When riding across desert terrain, I'll also have a couple of 1 liter water bottles in the dry bag on my passenger seat. These are not for immediate hydration needs but more for breakdown. The ice and water thing works very nicely and is easily refillable at most fuel stops. I do a lot of tank to tank riding which means 2.5 or more hours in the saddle at a stretch and 10 or more hours a day, depending on which bike I'm riding. Most have a 180 or greater mile range. If I'm not draining that 2 liter Camelbak, I'm not drinking enough.

I have experienced heat exhaustion on a bike once, it nearly killed me and I wouldn't wish the way I felt on my worst enemy. Do what ever you have to, but keep drinking. BTW, water alone doesn't get it. You need to replace the electrolytes. Gatorade works but makes for a biologic experiment in a Camelbak. Better to supplement your normal water intake with that at rest stops. A couple of potassium pills or salt tablets are the way to go with only water.

On long days, avoid all the 'energy' drinks like the plague. Caffine and fatigue combined are a killer. While your mind may feel more alert, your body still won't react when you need it most.

On long days, avoid all the 'energy' drinks like the plague. Caffine and fatigue combined are a killer. While your mind may feel more alert, your body still won't react when you need it most.

Another reason to stick to water - unlike bicycling, a motorcyclist isn't exerting a lot of energy thus most of the calories in the "energy drinks" get moved to long term storage. eek.gif Sugar drinks also tend to put me to sleep...

IMHO Camelback's make the most sense - water mounted in a bicycle cage/bottle system very quickly warms with the sun and wind of bicycling or motorcycling. There are few good locations to mount a bicycle type bottle cage, and the bicycling bottles are quite small (24 oz for the "large" ones). The Camelback hydration systems in contrast will keep water cool for hours and large units hold several liters.

One caution - Camelbacks are difficult to get clean thus using these for energy or other drinks will mean a looong cleaning cycle or one should expect mold and/or other growths inside the tube, mouth piece and main "bag".

Cleaning Hint: Carbonated water (soda water) seems to do an excellent job of cleaning out certain forms of residue which wouldn't come out with bleach, soap or amonia (no not mixed together). clap.gif Salt water, or baking soda in water left in a new unit will help remove some of the "plastic" taste.

Cheers,

Greg

Add me to the Camelback crowd. I have a regular Camelback that I like to use most of the time. I fill it to the top with ice and then fill it up the rest of the way with water. When I stop for gas, I just fill it back up with ice at the fountain soda machine.

I also have an Un-Bottle that I strap to the side of my tank bag. It works fine but I still really like the back pack type of Camelback better.

Actually, there's a more convenient way to maintain hydration, and it's totally automatic. Use an IV setup. Of course on a motorcycle, you cannot conveniently hang an IV bag above head level, so a pressurized system is needed. It works very well.

I actually have runnig water on an RT at the push of a button. Interested? post me private. P.S. I am not selling anything. thumbsup.gif Leon 05RT

George Brown

I'm also a Camelback filled with ice and water guy. I mounted a bicycle type water bottle carrier on the rear saddle bag guards of my HD which worked OK. However, I used an open face helmet in those days. Not sure how one would drink from a water bottle while wearing a full face helmet.

I think hepco becker makes a hydration unit for the saddle bags...

yes the hepco becker gobi has a 3.5 liter water system with a spout(like a watercooler)...

neat for GSer's

Calvin  (no socks)

I always carry my water, I sit on my Camelback.

All the pressure I need for cooking and cleaning..... grin.gif

Washer jets for the windshield...yea that's the ticket...heated water to wash the windshield...Wrap heat conductive conduit around the cylinders and fire up a boiler... grin.gif

You can tell I've got cabin fever..... dopeslap.gif

I always carry my water, I sit on my Camelback.

All the pressure I need for cooking and cleaning..... grin.gif

Washer jets for the windshield...yea that's the ticket...heated water to wash the windshield...Wrap heat conductive conduit around the cylinders and fire up a boiler... grin.gif

You can tell I've got cabin fever..... dopeslap.gif

I hope you get everything winterized before the snow hits!

I use a platypus bag from Rider Wearhouse/Aerostich and put it in the chest pocket of my Stich and clip the bite tube to my jacket. I agree with others, you have to drink on those hot days. If all you do is grab a bottle of water at a gas stop, you are not drinking enough.

I know there is a BMW drink holder accessory for the bars of the K1200LT but have not seen them for the R's.

ca776e7639838970b280efa92e05762a.jpg

I carry water bottles in my tank bag. Use either my stainless thermos or sports type water bottles both of which have the top you can pull open with your teeth. Because I also prefer my Nolan flip face helemt this means I can take a drink on the highway without stopping if I need to.

(I carry spare water in the top box in case I get stuck somewhere.)

As well as maintaining hydration though it is good to stop for a short leg stretch etc. and in the bigger picture of things frequent short drink stops really doesn't add that much extra time to a distance trip.

Cant stress how important plenty of water is, i just last wk found out.

Went to a new year show in our outback ,a 500 km run, it was b hot day up to 42.5 c on the readout. we stopped every hour to drink plenty but as i found out after 3 hrs we fueled up because it was the last place to do so, got of the bike and the heat from the concrete at the pumps basiclly took the air from me, nearlly went arse up and took about 45 min to recover under a tree drinking heaps.

So now its a flip up helmet on the list to get for both of us so we can drink on the road.

We got to the pub and had a ball, met a bloke from new york , andy and man could he play the harp. Hudo

Three best reasons to not drink water:

1. Lose weight.

2. Never have to stop to pee.

3. Two beers and I'm feelin' no pain! dopeslap.gif

What's that Camelback slogan, "Hydrate or die"???

Greg

Count me in to the hydration crowd. Water in a Platypus bladder (from Aerostich) in my tank bag works for me. I keep it wrapped in a towel, which keeps it cool for a surprisingly long time and keeps condensation off my other tank bag contents (the need for which I learned the hard way. Wet gloves are the pits). And of course the towel has other uses.

"A couple of potassium pills or salt tablets are the way to go with only water."

I agree, but I saw a poster claim low sodium is best for touring. Huh? Sodium retains water in your muscles and potassium greases 'em. Staves off cramping.

I crumble pretzels(Rold Gold Classic) w loads of salt into my fruit/nut based trail mix. It works for me.

re. cleaning your Camelback or Platypus bladder...

1. I agree that water is the only liquid to put in the bladder.

2. I store mine empty in the freezer. Eliminates the need for frequent cleaning. The microbes that thrive at 0 degrees Farenheit are few.

3. A cleaning tip for items that are difficult to access the innards of: Mix max hot tap water with automatic dishwasher detergent at a ratio of approximately one rounded teaspoon of detergent to a quart of water. Shake this solution like crazy till you are happy with the notion that you have achieved "clean" then rinse twice with clear hot tap water and you're done.

The reason I use the above formula is that it is non-sudsing and quick. You don't really need to do any measuring; I just referenced an amount to get the uninitiated "in the ball park"

Also note that automatic dishwasher detergent will not dissolve to do its job at temperatures below 140 degrees... your tap water won't deliver water that hot unless someone has cranked your water heater thermostat settings up a bit.

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

I don't know much yet about the mounting options for RAM systems on Beemers but in the Goldwing crowd we've got several good options. RAM makes a bar buoy holder for your drink of choice but it's not insulated. Instead I bought a Butler insulated mug with a lid and its mount. I changed it to hang of my RAM mounts and can drink water any time I desire a sip.

In the summer heat I drink an amazing amount of water while I ride. Just a small bottle when I fill up would never keep up.

Pat

Archived