IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

I heard the news as I was boarding an 18 hour flight to Melbourne and shed a brief tear. Brief because Paul's life is a celebration more than his death is a loss. He lived a full life and I express no regret about his early death.

Paul and I shared much personally: our love of racing, our mutual love of Venezuela, scanning and repairing many of his photos from the early days when he raced there, countless rides together.

If nothing else, Paul had a carefully crafted POV, a gentleman's way about him, and one of the most embracing welcomes for any new member.

Paul, I will miss you and I love you. I was just listening to this song and the words struck me as appropriate. It's by Keane, and called, appropriately, "Watch How You Go". Looking forward to joining you. Save a warm vibrating seat for me!

=====

The more we rush about, the less we do,

I never saw you drift away.

The more we spin around, the less we move,

I never saw your spirit break.

I wish that I could be your journey's end

But you are only passing through, yeah.

It's not for me to try to steer your way,

I wish you well in all you do.

Just say you'll watch how you go,

Be gracious with your light

And may the years be kind now.

Just say you'll mind how you roam,

The things that we have shared

Will soon be left behind now.

I hope you know that you're a graceful soul,

You fill the room with hope and light.

It's only right that you should go your way,

Cause nothing ever lasts that long.

Behind now... behind now... behind now.

Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo,

The things that we have shared,

Will still remain behind now.

Nice n Easy Rider

So very, very sad to hear this. It seemed so quick but I'm glad that Paul was able to be at home and have his family with him those last few days. Paul, you'll be missed by so very many people whose lives you have touched that you'll always be with us. :(

Wow, how sad, I have been really sick all week. Today I felt good enough to get up and check out the board, especially Paul's status. Although my physical body is starting to feel better, my heart now has a heaviness with this loss. My condolences to his family. Paul will truly be missed.

Alan

I'm very saddened by the news. Never met the man, but truly enjoyed reading his posts. Guys like this are one in a million, and we are all richer in life having known him either in life, or just talking on this discussion board.

See you down the road, old friend.

Give Rodger and Gleno hugs from me when you seen them.

:cry:

Well put.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=801091&nt=10&page=1

Paul talked about this trip with great excitement & anticipation. When he came home he was beaming! I loved listening to Paul recount his trips and this one was top on list. Hard to believe it was six months ago.

It was so good to see Paul in Maggie Valley toward the end of that trip. I got my traditional big hug and happily poured him a glass of wine which he accepted with a smile! ;)

Unfortunately, it is also going to be the trip I think of with the most regret. Paul was coming through the Nashville area and looking for a stopping point. I offered my spare room with the thought I'd tag along behind him to Maggie Valley. He wrote that he was coming through the day after I planned on leaving and would see me in NC instead. I wish with all my heart that I'd shortened my riding weekend and delayed my ride over. :( Sigh. Guess I'll just have to wait for my turn and hit him up when there are no time constraints with which to contend.

Love you Paul. Wish you clear roads and safe travels.

See you down the road, old friend.

Give Rodger and Gleno hugs from me when you seen them.

Very well said Russell. I have stickers on my top box dedicated to Gleno and Rodger. I hope someone is planning on designing one for Paul. All 3 wonderful friends to all of us.

Dear Pauls family,

As you can see from 42 pages of words, you are not alone in your grief.

Any of us could only hope to be thought of, remembered, and cared for so positively as Paul is.

Please be at peace.

Kelly.

For anyone who would like a few words of comfort and a few scriptures to soothe their heart, read on. For anyone who does not believe in the Bible feel free to stop reading, or at least please do not be offended as I only intend comfort.

Enduring Bereavement

9 When death separates family members, such great loss can result in deep sorrow. Abraham wept over the death of his beloved wife, Sarah. (Genesis 23:2) Even the perfect man Jesus “gave way to tears” when his friend Lazarus died. (John 11:35) So it is natural to experience sadness when death claims someone you love. However, Christians know that there will be a resurrection. (Acts 24:15) Hence, they do not “sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope.”—1 Thessalonians 4:13.

10 How can we cope with bereavement? Perhaps an illustration will be helpful. We do not usually experience prolonged sadness when a friend goes on a journey, since we expect to see him again when he returns. Taking a similar view of the death of a faithful Christian may lessen our grief because we know that he is in line for a resurrection.—Ecclesiastes 7:1.

11 Complete reliance on “the God of all comfort” will help us to endure bereavement. (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4) So will reflecting on what was done by the first-century widow Anna. She became a widow after only seven years of marriage. But at the age of 84, she was still rendering sacred service to God at the temple. (Luke 2:36-38) Such a devout life undoubtedly helped her to cope with grief and loneliness. Regular participation in Christian activities can help us to endure the effects of bereavement.

I don't have anything to add to this giant outpouring of love & support other than to say I'm honored to have known such a great man.

I'm part of Paul's local BMW club, we're certainly feeling this loss quite keenly. Knowing we're not the only ones who miss him helps us remember how widespread his influence was.

I'll be organizing some memorial patches & stickers in the very near future - I'll be sure to post when I have them & how anybody can get them. RIP Paul, who always said:

"You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!"

A nice pic of Paul on the Cherohala, I think he posted a clean copy here somewhere but I can't find it. Sure would love to see it on the main page.

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01TP060393&po=393&pc=679

Pat

Thanks Pat for that link to a great shot of Paul. I got one print each for Maria and Arianne. I also got a copy of the digital version. Not sure if we are allowed to reproduce it.....

Thanks to all of you who are sharing links and photos.

Guest Kakugo

I am literally speechless. I cannot add more to what's been already said.

Paul's memory will live with us forever and I am sure where he's now he'll keep an eye out for all of us... when he is not too busy riding.

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thanks for sharing Glenn. Those are fantastic photos. I rode with Pablo almost every week end between 1974 and 1978. I was along on the rides where some of those photos were taken.

I'm in the process of organizing 175 photos of our rides together and will put them up on the web and link them to the forum.

Tony

SteveHebert

I just got back to civilization, sort of and read the sad news of Paul's passing. I am sad but am also delighted that I had the opportunity to meet Paul.

Doc wrote that he is still amazed at the swiftness of how it transpired, just a few weeks ago being contacted by Paul, and now he is gone. Same thing happened to my Dad 9 years ago. We were told he had liver cancer and that he would be gone in 4 weeks. It was that quick and almost to the day.

They both seemed to have passed without any pain and without having to suffer.

RIP Paul and hugs and prayers to your beautiful bride and family!

Thanks for sharing Glenn. Those are fantastic photos. I rode with Pablo almost every week end between 1974 and 1978. I was along on the rides where some of those photos were taken.

I'm in the process of organizing 175 photos of our rides together and will put them up on the web and link them to the forum.

Tony

Tony,

As others have already stated, we thank you for finding this forum and sharing your knowledge and experiences from your time with Pablo. I know I am looking forward to the time when you make the other photos available for us to view.

I am not sure what the thought process was that led me to use google to find pics of "the Maestro" , but you can see that there are quite a few. It was also fun following the links to find other stories of or about the man.

(Just for giggles, I did the search for myself, and did not see any photos of myself. There were mug shots of three other individuals and plenty of other pics though. My name is just a tad more common that Paul's. :rofl:)

Keep us posted!

Glenn

Paul passed away early this morning.

I prefer to think that The Maestro has simply leaned his big-bore boxer into its final curve, and in a puff of blue smoke -- he's gone.

Beautifully said, Jim, and every one else. But at a time like this I can't be so eloquent so I will add simply: $&^@#^$%*#^$()@$#^%#%^$#@)^*%#%*%^$#^(%^)*$^*)$^$)^%*)&$^%*^(*$^)$^*^)!$#^)@%&!$#^!$#^($%+$%#+*($#)**%*&&%)!$^%*!$# !!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't even continue reading yesterday when I first posted I was so upset. But I managed to honor the Old Fart in a way I hope he would have appreciated: I met up with some old friends, made some new friends, raised a few pints, toasted a great man humbly, listened to some good music, rode a nice motorcycle.

Best I can do. Wish I had met him. :(

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thank you Glenn. This forum was a huge part of Paul's life and vice-versa, Paul was a huge part of this forum.

Today I was talking by Skype with Tomas in Barcelona and he hit the nail on the head when he said that Paul was the cornerstone of our group and gave it cohesion. Without Paul, the remaining pieces would fall apart and would have to look for a new way of coming together again. He went on to say that he felt that could happen to a certain extent with the BMW forum....interesting food for thought.....

I thank you all for being such good friends to him and for welcoming me so graciously to this forum.

Tony

I never met the man, yet I feel as if I have been touched by grace for having crossed under the shadow of a giant.

Rest easy, Paul.

You guys are so AWESOME and the love for Paul just touches my heart. I think us "local" people were sorely mistaken when we thought he was "OURS", by this thread, he was clearly yours and we were just lucky to see him once in a while. It really shows that location really means nothing when you have a family like this one!!

I will miss Paul dearly, I loved his big smile, big hugs and his big ugly GS. He would send me pics every year for our club calendar and always joked with me that his ugly GS was the prettiest pic in my calendar :grin:

Reading your posts have made me miss this club as well. I hope to see all of you soon and until then, ride safe and have fun!

Pauls motto - You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding! I hope to live by this for a LONG LONG TIME!!

Love and miss you all....

Tina

Hi Tina--Paul really did love this forum and the people who comprise it. This is where I met him and soon after he sold me my first BMW back in 2006. Only then did I join the local club. He will certainly be missed by many near and far. I loved stopping at the dealership and shooting the breeze with him. He always talked about BMWST and his travels/exploits. I'm glad to have met him and hope his family is doing well under the circumstances. :wave:

Reading your posts have made me miss this club as well. I hope to see all of you soon and until then, ride safe and have fun!

So, get with it... Helen is just a few weeks away, make with the reservations already!

Paul remains alive within all of us who knew him, and for all of us who can know him now through the writings of others, or in his own words, if you go back a look up his posts on the board.

Paul riding the Cherohala Skyway

i-KvK5gkQ-XL.jpg

Killboy was kind enough to allow me to share this here ....

I'm glad we we're able to capture him having fun on the Cherohala Skyway and maybe it will bring a smile to his friends and the BMW community.

Thank you for doing this Kathy. I've sat here and stared longer than you could imagine at this photo now, read through some of the previous pages of comments, just thinking about how life is so fleeting and what kind of stories Paul must have had. It's very flattering to have been even a small part of this man's life, and we're honored to capture the shot.

Lone_RT_rider
Jim - Thank you for sharing this unfortunate news, and of course our hearts go out to Paul's family. Anticipated, but still shocking to see this news so quickly. I sure hope to find time to join you to witness Paul's favorite spot in the Appalachians - it must be very beautiful indeed.

It sure strikes me as very fitting that Paul's last two written words on this board are:

still riding

:cry: I just found out.... no words... just no words.

I came across this thread just the other day, I read all the posts; pondering on what to reply. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I can't remember the author of this quote "To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die". Paul will live in my memory and I'm sure in yours.

Love those headlights!

Not sure if Paul used them to see or to help him find his bike in the parking lot :dopeslap:

:)

We are all benefited from knowing you... Thank you for sharing.

RIP. Godspeed.

JerryMather

I just got home from this years Daytona Race doing the same thing our friend did there so many years ago and read of his passing.

When I was there in the riders meeting with all the racers and crew chiefs I thought back and wondered to myself if Paul felt the same way I did now, being in one of the most historic tracks in American if not the world and being humbled by the experience and excited at the same time to do the best you can among the best racers in American. I'll never forget that or Paul.

I sent a little prayer to him and my team, I hope he heard me. Gods speed my friend you did him proud.

Paul riding the Cherohala Skyway

i-KvK5gkQ-XL.jpg

Killboy was kind enough to allow me to share this here ....

I'm glad we we're able to capture him having fun on the Cherohala Skyway and maybe it will bring a smile to his friends and the BMW community.

Any chance this photo could replace one of the bike photo's on our BMWST.com homepage?

Any chance this photo could replace one of the bike photo's on our BMWST.com homepage?

:thumbsup:

And many thanks to Killboy & Kathy

In 2008 when Paul broke his leg, he posted his memoirs here, a four part story. Does anyone have a copy or know a way to retrieve it? Thanks in advance.

In 2008 when Paul broke his leg, he posted his memoirs here, a four part story. Does anyone have a copy or know a way to retrieve it? Thanks in advance.

The early beginnings

This was already shared here, but I thought I'd add it to this post.

A ride tale - thirty years ago

Racing bikes in Vnezuela 195x

My racing Gilera and I

1953 South American Championship

I'm racing

Racing in Venezuela - 1954

and this isn't really what you asked for, but it's a happy post....

End of house arrest

and this too

Gilera Saturno Corsa

:)

If it wouldn't be for bad luck...

Riding again!!!

There are so many I want to link to, but I'll stop myself now....

Forever to be missed...

Getting ready!

Likewise Drew. :wave:

Fun reading back through the threads. Remember when he lost his "RT Lite" in the garage fire? I think that was right before one of his trips west.

I was able to meet Paul on only several brief occasions so I can't claim to have known him well at all. I do remember that after each meeting I thought to myself "that's a real gentleman and a gentle man". He would remind me of how very much we're in need of both. RIP.

I was able to meet Paul on only several brief occasions so I can't claim to have known him well at all. I do remember that after each meeting I thought to myself "that's a real gentleman and a gentle man". He would remind me of how very much we're in need of both. RIP.

Al,

Thanks for putting into words what I've felt but couldn't quite express since the day I learned of Paul's condition. I met him at the first Un and chatted with him at a few others. I had the pleasure of sharing a dinner table with him during last year's Fall Torrey event and marveled at the stories he could tell and the wisdom in his words. I'm a better man for having known him.

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thank you Kathy and Killboy. That is most probably the last photo taken of Paul on a motorcycle (and it captures his essence perfectly). He sold his Beemer immediately after that ride and bought a Yamaha Maxi Scooter (his words).

Tony

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thank you Kathy, you did a great job of compiling Paul's (or Pablo as he was known at the time) early days of glory in Venezuela and then you gave us an excellent glimpse of the more recent Paul.

Tony

Never had the pleasure of meeting Paul but read many of his post and admired his accomplishments. My deepest sympathy to his loved ones. I am always impressed by the outpouring of love seen on this site by the members. This is a truly remarkable community.

Archived