IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

:) So glad to hear from you Paul. Hope you felt that cyber HUG and can hear the WOOF and WHOHOOO ringing in your ears :) You are in my daily thoughts.

I wanted to introduce my self and THANK YOU!! for being here for my Dad and all your kind words, it means everything to him...

I just got my first bike with the help of my Dad a few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough that he came to visit and we got it togehter, I will not be able to share with him all the great adventures that he lived through his life, but hopefully will meet many people like you that did...

Thank you again...

Arianne

I am looking forward to riding with you someday, Arianne.

I think we are all very grateful to your Dad for sharing this event with us, so we can share our thoughts with him. I admire him - so much - for that. He is a very generous, thoughtful and far sighted man.

Paul Mihalka

"The group, which grew so as to include several former and active racers has long since disbanded. However, five of us remain very close and still swap stories by e-mail and SKYPE about the good old days. Tomas went to Spain in 1978 (he still rides a R-1150-RT), Pablo went to the U.S. shortly thereafter, Bob went to Mexico in 1994 and subsequently to Germany, Aparicio wound up in Luxembourg after living in the U.S. (He still has and rides his yellow R-100-RS, restored to mint condition and also, a Ducati) and I wound up in Panama in 2006.

I no longer ride but had to share with you and the rest of our gang of five that we are all fortunate to be counted among Maestro Pablo’s alumni."

The interesting part of this is that out of this group of 5 friends riding together 30 years ago 3 are still riding.

Nice n Easy Rider
The interesting part of this is that out of this group of 5 friends riding together 30 years ago 3 are still riding.

Paul,

To have stayed together for 30 years as friends and for the majority of you to be still riding is truly inspiring. With folks moving around so much nowadays and with our lives busier than ever you've set a terrific example for having found what the really important things of life are.

I hope you're able to stay as comfortable as possible and to enjoy all your family and friends around you. I'm so very fortunate to have gotten to meet you and talk with you.

Just short: I'm home. Wonderful setup, the same I had the last time I broke a leg. Comfortable. Rounded with wonderful family.

Love you!

:thumbsup: Good to hear from you.

Hey Paul, never had the chance to meet you but really wish I had. I had read a lot of your post here on BMWST the last two years and just wanted to say THANK YOU FOR BEING A LARGE PART OF THIS FORUM. Our prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family, some day we will meet in God's other world, until then ........

Tony Guzman Blanco

Dear Paul, it has been 39 years since we first met and about 35 years since I stopped riding motorcycles (started flying again, thought it was less dangerous - I remember our flight together to Aruba with the wives, still have the flight plan).

I'm glad that you are comfortably settled down at home, surrounded by love and affection.

Take it easy, my friend,

Tony

Paul,

I regret that I have had only 2 opportunities to meet you. The first was at the Unrally in Fayetteville West Virginia in 2007.

i-vj2ZZmT.jpg[/url]

The second was at the UnRally in Lancaster, New Hampshire 1n 2009.

i-8L7RgcP.jpg[/url]

I wish I had gotten to more BMWST events to get to know you better. You have been a great inspiration to me as to so many others here! I read the Jim Ford article when it came out and immediately wished for more opportunities to ride behind you, a thought I'm sure many of us share.

Thank you very much for being a part of my life and a great inspiration.

Roy Temple

Inspiration. When I stumbled into this forum a few years ago, I was assuming that I'd be done with riding by age 70. Then I discovered here that Paul was riding, and riding strongly, at 80+. Now I'm 70 and riding as well and as actively as ever, and thanks to Paul my new planning horizon is 80+. We've never met, Paul, but I thank you for this continuing inspiration!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Inspiration. When I stumbled into this forum a few years ago, I was assuming that I'd be done with riding by age 70. Then I discovered here that Paul was riding, and riding strongly, at 80+. Now I'm 70 and riding as well and as actively as ever, and thanks to Paul my new planning horizon is 80+. We've never met, Paul, but I thank you for this continuing inspiration!

Amen! :thumbsup:

I bought my first BMW from Bob's BMW at age 56 because of Paul and Jim Ford's help at the dealership. After having the good fortune to have ridden behind Paul a fair number of times over the past ten years (I'm now 67) I expect to continue my love of riding and fellowship with those that have the same passion for many years to come!

Tony Guzman Blanco

To all of Paul's friends here:

I was very impressed, although not surprised by the immense outpouring of love, good wishes and support from the many, many wonderful friends he made in the BMW motorcycling community. He deserves every bit of it and more. All of you come across as a most wonderful, caring people. Thank you.

Paul is a very dear friend, we go back to 1974 (39 years) and it seems like testerday that we met and started riding together. Before moving to the U.S. he was a motorcycling legend who made many, many friends from all walks of life.

I am new to this forum and hope that I didn't barge in like a bull in a china shop. I joined in order to attest to Paul's wonderful, long lasting friendship and to the fact that he has been a mentor to countless motorcycling and auto racing (yes, he was a formidable rally competitor as well) enthusiasts.

I still have not been successful in uploading many pictures of our riding days 35 plus years ago, but I'll keep on tryng.

Best wishes to all,

Tony

I still have not been successful in uploading many pictures of our riding days 35 plus years ago, but I'll keep on tryng.

:lurk::lurk::thumbsup:
beemerman2k

What a long list of accomplishments Paul has racked up over the years. Yet, you'd never know it by the level of humility he displays. Thank you so much for dropping in, Tony Guzman Blanco. I do hope this become a regular home on the Internet for you. Thank you so much for your valuable contributions already :thumbsup:

Best wishes to all,

Tony

Tony,

We are glad you are here. This link will take you to the part of this board where folks ask and test out posting photos. Ask questions there and we'll all do our best to help. Some folks (not me) have all the answers :)

Discussion Board Support

Tony Guzman Blanco

Thank you Kathy, I appreciate the pointer. I will go there and see what I find out.

You and your fellow forum members have been very gracious to me and I appreciate it very much. I'm glad to have come here and met Paul's extended family. I don't wish to be intrusive, but want to share with you all what little I can about this wonderful man and good friend.

Best wishes,

Tony

Tony, for something like that, I would create an album on a cloud-based photo service like Picasa, then link to a URL for a slideshow. For example (no Paul Mihalka content): Dirt Bags Vintage Rally 2012

Welcome home "Pablo" Mihalka. :clap: Never comfortable or restful in a hospital so this is good news.

Tony Blanco, you're not being intrusive at all. Having ridden a little with Paul and spent time with him, I had seen the pictures and knew he raced back then in South America. But like Beemerman2k said, I never knew he was a champion or all the accomplishments. Just knew he was a good man who shared the same addiction I had to riding and was skilled at it. I only hope to be riding as long and as far as he has. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't mind hearing about what you have to share. :thumbsup:

Paul... I am truly sadden to hear your news. My life is richer for having met you. A HUGE HUG.... much respect and admiration.

To all the dear friends of our champion, Paul Mihalka, it is with the heaviest of heart that I write. Paul passed away early this morning.

Paul's instruction was that he wants no funeral service in the traditional sense. Instead, he has asked me to carry his ashes to a certain Appalachian field beside a certain rock and cast those remains to the wind.

There is no way I can do this alone. When I put the details together, please join me in this ceremony. We'll also share a certain ride. It will be the very one that long ago, Paul showed me when we rode to his favorite spot.

Until then, I prefer to think that The Maestro has simply leaned his big-bore boxer into its final curve, and in a puff of blue smoke -- he's gone.

Respectfully and with kind regards,

Jim Ford

Maria knows that she is in your collective prayers. She told me that she prefers quiet and silence as she mourns and asks that you to respect her wishes.

Many thanks.

Jim

"Until then, I prefer to think that The Maestro has simply leaned his big-bore boxer into its final curve, and in a puff of blue smoke -- he's gone."

Jim Ford

Aptly said Jim. He certainly was one of a kind and we will all miss him dearly. With a little luck, I hope to be there when all the plans are finalized.

Godspeed Paul!

Jim - Thank you for sharing this unfortunate news, and of course our hearts go out to Paul's family. Anticipated, but still shocking to see this news so quickly. I sure hope to find time to join you to witness Paul's favorite spot in the Appalachians - it must be very beautiful indeed.

It sure strikes me as very fitting that Paul's last two written words on this board are:

still riding

Paul left early on his ride. Like all of his trips, he mapped it out & kept to his plan. As he said to me many times, "See you!"

I'm sad :cry:

Going miss your smiling face and warm hand shake Paul. I'm glad I had the chance to meet you, and looked forward to each encounter. God Speed my friend.

Thank you for letting us know, Jim. I would like to be there, if I can. If there is anything any of us can do, individually or collectively, please let us know.

What a kick to the gut

Ride in Peace dear Paul

Firefight911

I have no words. There are none to describe the special man he IS. He will forever be in my family's hearts and he will forever hold a special place in mine that will ring a special ring whenever I go there. He joined me on my ride with one special saying that will live for me forever, "I invited myself. I wanted to be a part of this ride."

Love you Paul. Thanks for making me and my family a part of yours.

Our lives are better for having crossed paths with Paul Mihalka. Being remembered by others is the best legacy a person can ask for.

Godspeed dear Paul. You will be missed. Condolences and prayers to Maria and your wonderful family. Please know that we are here if any of them should need us. Thank you Paul for being our friend.

Archived