IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

russell_bynum

Paul,

You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Some of the most fun I've had riding with this group was with you.

I can still see you passing me on that gravel road at Un-1 with your R1100RT pitched sideways and throwing a rooster tail like King Kenny at the Indy Mile. I've never felt so demoralized in my life. :)

If there's anything we can do, we're here for you.

Francois_Dumas

Oh triple damn !

Just read this thread and your latest update, Paul.

Wanted you and everybody else to know that Nina and I are amongst the privileged people who have met you and your dear wife and you will remain in our memories and thoughts. We hope you will find a way to deal with this. Our thoughts will be with you both from across the Atlantic.

So wish I could do anything to make you better......

Hugs from Holland !

Nina and Francois

Lineareagle

You have ridden a long and eventful road Paul.

You have made many friends along the way.

You have received and given love of life.

Not much more a person can ask for. Blessings on you.

When all is said and done, for any of us, we are remembered in the memories we have created. And you Sir have created some very big memories.

Journey well ol’ friend of ours.

Paul, there is nothing to say that fully conveys our sadness in hearing this news, but know that we all care deeply for you and that you will be in our prayers.

lawnchairboy

I'm so sorry Paul.

My life is enriched by your presence, in person, or virtually.

Prayers.

:(

Sorry to hear this, Paul. You have touched so many of us with your gentle spirit, your phenomenal riding (and stories of your racing past), your friendliness...I could go on and on.

We love you so much! Enjoy your family. Enjoy your friends. Enjoy each day. Good advice for all of us, I guess.

This passage from the Bible seems especially fitting. Hope you find some comfort in it.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;

I shall not want.

2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside the still waters.

3 He restores my soul;

He leads me in the paths of righteousness

For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil;

For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You anoint my head with oil;

My cup runs over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

All the days of my life;

And I will dwell[a] in the house of the Lord

Forever.

Dear Paul,

My earlier PM says what there is for me to say.

I am so so so heartbroken to hear this news.

Love you.

Shannon

Paul,you have left some giant footsteps for the rest of us to follow....

We can only hope to meet you later.. :wave:

I have no words other than to express the sorrow I feel for never having met you in person. Your story is inspirational, you have made a difference to the world.

Andy

I haven't been here much lately, and I'm sorry I never met you Paul, but when I saw the news elsewhere I stopped and cursed whatever is at play that takes good people away too soon.

You seem to be one hell of a class act, and the outpouring from those fortunate enough to be your friends here is testament to that fact.

Godspeed.

roadscholar

I echo the many sentiments expressed. A few years ago one of the members here (a prominent one at that) said he wished to achieve greatness or wanted do something great. Nothing wrong with that but one doesn't get to bestow it upon themselves, either historians, or more importantly one's peers determine a person's greatness.

I know the folks here would agree you have accomplished it on several fronts including racing pursuits, MOA mileage awards, and not to mention your status on this board, plus there are certainly others.

In spite of the news though, look forward,...jeez, look who I'm talking to, you invented the power of positive thinking. Paul, in so many ways, you are the Man! :thumbsup:

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hey Paul. I remember when you were in Seattle, and we shared coffee over at Miklos Hubay's house. That stuff was like tar! I didn't think I slept for a week. I've enjoyed good times with you and wish you comfortable days with your family.

Paul, anything we say at a time like this always seem so inadequate. Now is the time to be surrounded by your family and to reflect upon the life you have lived to this point. I trust that, as you look back, you achieve serenity. I also hope that, as you write the final chapter in your book of life, you are at peace. Know too that we in your motorcycling family care about you, are inspired by you, and are keeping you in our thoughts.

steve.foote

Paul, you have ridden every road on earth, so I know you are itching to try some of the new roads in Heaven. Happy trails my friend. All of us will catch up with you one day, but we'll miss you until then.

I remember best the story of you meeting your... to be wife. Magnificent story Paul. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Enjoy the ride my friend.

Firefight911

I shared time with you in Utah. We shared lunch, laughter, and great times as you joined me for lunch on my epic 8300 mile ride last summer.

Paul, I love you as a man of men. A person of the people and as an inspiration to me, my wife, and to Amelia. You have lifted us up and honored us as only a great friend can.

I cry as I type this. Not out of sorrow, but out of great gladness for having been able to be blessed and touched with the friendship of such a great man.

Thank you!!!

I shall forever ride as your wing man each time I swing a leg over my motorcycle.

Rest assured your legacy well be shared in stories to Amelia as she grows for there is so much she has to learn from your example.

I first met you in Gunnison. You were so kind to welcome the new kid to the party. I will never forget it.

A life well lived. Thanks for showing us that age does not stop one from pursuing our passions.

Paul... I am without words .... But the inspiration you have given countless riders speaks volumes ... God Bless you Brother

Holy shit. Don't know how I missed this until now :cry:

Paul, I thought you were invincible and immortal. I met you at my first BMWST event, and then you proceeded to tell me the history of my RT and how you sold it to the original owner. Your presence has always been a highlight of each of my trips since. When I got home, Danielle always asks if you were there and how you are doing. I always got a shit eating grin in my helmet when I saw your GS in the parking lot.

Godspeed my friend. I hope to see you again.

Paul:

Thanks for being part of my life's motorcycling adventure. You are a great inspiration, and it has been a honor to have spent some time with you along the way.

Happy trails, until we meet again.

russell_bynum
Paul, you won't remember but a few years ago I spent a day trying to keep up with you. It was a true learning experience for me.

You just described everyone who's ever gone on a ride with Paul. :Cool:

I'm up there riding my ass off and he's right there filling up my mirrors, smooth as silk, looking around at the scenery...it looked like he was looking for a place to buy a hamburger and I felt like I had Valentino on my tail.

Your life and stories have been not only entertaining, but inspirational in many ways. I doubt you realize the magnitude of the impact you have had on other people.

Thank you.

Paul, I'm sorry to hear your latest news. It looks like our paths won't cross after all. I was hoping they would. I hope you will continue to share your wit and wisdom and advise as long are you are so inclined and able.

You are lucky to have so many friends who share their thoughts and feelings about you. Unfortunately, most folks are gone when this happens and they don't realize how many people they've touched in a positive way.

bayoubengal

Sorry for your news Paul. I think Steve, Jan and Phil said it as well as can be said. Never had the pleasure in person but enjoyed the stories. Was in Caracas last month visualizing you running those roads on your thumper. Thanks for sharing yourself with the rest of us. You and your family will be in my prayers. God bless you real good.

Very Respectfully

Hutch

Lets_Play_Two

This just sucks. I guess we all have to accept mortality. My prayers are with you and those you love. My walk in the woods will be longer and sadder tonight.

Paul, although I don't know you personally, I feel I do. Believe it or not, you made an impression on me.

Whatever the future holds, my best wishes and regards are yours.

Dear Paul,

I am sorry to hear your latest news. I have always enjoyed talking with you when I see you. You are a treasure. Sending lots of love your way.

Paul,

I only met you once, and we spoke for about 10 minutes in a motel parking lot in John Day, Oregon. We never even exchanged names. I remember feeling better after the conversation. Wish we had more of those discussions about not much of anything in particular.

Bob

It's been one hell of a dream, Paul. Thank you for being a part of ours.

Remember, you can always blame the monkey:

IMG_3059-L.jpg

No words, except thinking about the joy I've been blessed with to have met you, and feeling privileged to have been your friend.

i-CCPgf89-L.jpg

Les is more

My Dear Paul,

I won't tell you to ride safe. I well remember how you hated that one. ;)

I will tell you that each time we met, the warm smiles and the hugs left a lasting impression from the loving heart of a very dear man. I will miss the chance for more but I will always treasure the ones I got.

As you take on this leg of life's journey, my heart goes with you. May your transition be eased by the love of your family and by the knowledge of your legacy.

Do me a favor. Hold Maria jut a little tighter one time and tell her that's from me.

I love you dearly and will do so until it's my time too.

Goddamn! Words fail me other than to say that you, sir, have lived a heck of a life. You're in inspiration to lots of us younger folks who hope we can do as much on bikes (and in life) as you have have. You have my best wishes.

You have been, and continue to be an inspiration to us all. Best wishes, Paul.

Ditto....

When life throws you a curve....lean into it...

pAUL, mY dEAR fRIEND :

I have no words other than these...

I have been changed by knowing you.

The changes in my life will be life-long.

They will impact many - as you have impacted me.

My prayers continue for you and for your dear wife.

GodSpeed and continued blessings to you.

hANNAbONE

You have graciously said goodbye, although I still hope for good news. Your steady and clear thinking never cease to amaze. If you must go, I ask that you to have a great adventure, the greatest of all. If anyone can ride a new and unexplored road it is you, Paul. We will look after things on this side of the pass. Ride on dear friend. You will not be forgotten and you will always ride with us.

Paul,

The cancer may be chewing on your liver but don't let it get to your mind and spirit.

As I'm sure you know, there are places in major metro areas that specialize in dealing with late stage cancers and if that option is open to you, I hope you consider it. Sometimes, aggressive though unpleasant treatments can buy a bit more of our precious time here.

We have met in person only briefly at a BRR but Becky and I are among your many friends who wish you and your wife the best.

Paul,

Thank you for the honor of getting to know you. I always looked forward to hearing your voice and listening to your stories at each event. You are truly an inspiration, not only as a rider, but as a person.

May God continue to bless you and keep you by his side.

Arianne Mihalka

I wanted to introduce my self and THANK YOU!! for being here for my Dad and all your kind words, it means everything to him...

I just got my first bike with the help of my Dad a few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough that he came to visit and we got it togehter, I will not be able to share with him all the great adventures that he lived through his life, but hopefully will meet many people like you that did...

Thank you again...

Arianne

Les is more

Arianne,

Thank you SO much for posting this and for becoming part of this, your dad's other family. It's clear how much we adore him. I hope to be one of those people you meet.

Until then, do me a big favor. Whisper in your dad's ear that Mama Hoon loves him.

Arianne, WELCOME!

What a great gift!! To have Paul's daughter on this Board is a pleasure and a delight. You now have an instant family you didn't know you had.

doc

Archived