IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

Oh dear, Kathy. Some of Paul's 2008 story links are already gone to the big digital bit recycler. :cry:

I hope that the Admin's can pull them from a backup and perhaps put up a whole Paul M. thread, linked right from his picture on the front page of the web site (either his GS picture here or an early pix would be great).

You made a great start, but I think the admin's need to step in to preserver his legacy.

Nice compilation, though!

- Scott

Oh dear, Kathy. Some of Paul's 2008 story links are already gone to the big digital bit recycler. :cry:

I hope that the Admin's can pull them from a backup and perhaps put up a whole Paul M. thread, linked right from his picture on the front page of the web site (either his GS picture here or an early pix would be great).

You made a great start, but I think the admin's need to step in to preserver his legacy.

Nice compilation, though!

- Scott

Over the past year or so I have noted comments about this board dying. I think this thread is proof that it is not!

Paul, and other's on this board, with their kind, warm welcome to new members and many contributions to posts that share their extensive knowledge of motorcyles and riding are what this board is all about!

Part of Paul's legacy is this BMWST thread that, in my opinion, will continue to inspire current and new members on the board for a long time to come!

A huge loss to the motorcycling community. I only met Paul twice.

Once, at a Bob's open house, and again later that year (2001?) at a CLASS track day at VIR.

He was a very fast, skilled rider. He called the track day his 'yearly tuneup'.

He will be missed.

Just found out. Linda & I met him about 7 years ago in Blairsville. I was messing with some lights on my bike & saw her talking animatedly with an older gent when she waved me over. She asked me do you know who this is? I said no. Paul just kinda grinned & said you might know me as Old Fart. Very humble guy for all the things he's done in his lifetime. I was just kinda awestruck meeting him. Don't hang out here as much or often as I used to since Linda stopped riding -- then to log in and see this is just heartbreaking. I will remember him always as a man who lived a very full life full of friends & loved ones. Prayers for the family.

There is no way I can do this alone. When I put the details together, please join me in this ceremony. We'll also share a certain ride. It will be the very one that long ago, Paul showed me when we rode to his favorite spot.

Jim Ford

Gar will be back on the east coast end of April to mid month May and would very much like to participate in honoring Paul for the both of us. Will watch the board for information. Thank you.

Got to ride behind him on a few occasions. Enjoyed every minute of it, learned a lot & remember how much he smiled when he talked. Made fun of my beer too.

You know, we're all going to miss him. Every one of us. Some more then others, but even those who never met him just have to read our posts to get an idea of what this man meant to the members here.

Of everything said, "Paul was our friend" sums it up best.

P1020271-L.jpg

BRR, September '09

Sorry, I haven't been looking at this forum in a while and was saddened by the news about Paul. My thoughts are with the family and friends. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Urban Surfer

Paul

I don't have the words

I have only met a few people on this forum, so the great ones like your self appear to me like supper man.

I'm sure you will inspire me for a long long time.

Perhaps one day I will have the fortune to ride with you

Arianne Mihalka

I've been trying to get my thoughts together for the last week and accept that my Dad is gone from this world as we know it…

All of you had made such a huge difference helping me understand that my Dad touched so many lives and that he will be with us forever...

You also made his last days very special.. He spent hours in front of the computer reading this thread and I saw the smile and sense of accomplishment on his face... he loved you guys so much.. It was his world and he enjoyed every minute of it...

He definitely lived a full and happy life which is a great example to follow… through many great conversations that I had with him he always told me.. “There are two types of problems… the ones that can be solved… then why worry… just solve them…and the ones we can’t solve… then why worry.. Just accept them… ” this was a great lesson he gave me and he definitely lived by it till his last minute…

Dad I miss you so much… and will always follow my heart as you told me to…

Arianne

Here is a picture of my dad with me... no helmets or bikes this time...

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a631/Arianne_Mihalka/PapiampBabuBaby_zpsd41d5294.jpg

Arianne, I was missing your dad at 0545 this morning. Since I am only a bit younger than your dad, we used to send hello's to each other in the very early hours after seeing the other one post.

I miss that so much!

Arianne, thanks for sharing a little more about your dad. I always enjoyed chatting with him. He reminded me of my foreign born (Irish) grandfather, who always had a slightly different, yet always optimistic outlook on things. Both your dad and my grandfather had a special pragmatism, too. I didn't see your dad that often, maybe a couple times a year, but I will definitely miss him. He did love this board and the people behind it. It's how I came to know him. Thanks again for your special and heart felt post.

“There are two types of problems… the ones that can be solved… then why worry… just solve them…and the ones we can’t solve… then why worry.. Just accept them… ”

I love that! Your Dad was so wise.

I'm so very sorry for your loss Arianne. I hope that every day your heart feels a little lighter and your sadness is soon replaced completely by memories of many soothing words from your Dad. He lives on because you do.

Sending a big HUG to you, your Mom and family.

“There are two types of problems… the ones that can be solved… then why worry… just solve them…and the ones we can’t solve… then why worry.. Just accept them… ”

I love that! Your Dad was so wise.

I'm so very sorry for your loss Arianne. I hope that every day your heart feels a little lighter and your sadness is soon replaced completely by memories of many soothing words from your Dad. He lives on because you do.

Sending a big HUG to you, your Mom and family.

Arianne-

Thanks for posting one of Paul's lines. I, in my last few years have of habit of saying a few similar ones also. One, instead of being rude saying that "I don't care" I have learned to say "It is not really my concern." The other is "That there really are no problems, Just solutions."

I suppose your dad's saying kind of combines the two and makes the world a better place.

If I may, I think Kathy hit it right on the head with what she says. I too want to send you a virtual hug and hope it helps.

texasaggie97

Paul we have never met but you help me many times when I was a new guy. Thank you and may your family know what a blessing you were to so many.

God Speed and I bet God has a sweet ride waiting for you.

I was fortunate to meet Paul a few years back in John Day. That moment remains an honor. My condolences to his family and thanks to his friends and admirers for recalling his rich life.

How about creating a Paul Mihalka archive with all his posts and the recent threads?

Tony

I believe someone (usually an admin?) will pull this stuff together and post in the "Ride Home" section??

How about creating a Paul Mihalka archive with all his posts and the recent threads?

Tony

I believe someone (usually an admin?) will pull this stuff together and post in the "Ride Home" section??

Yes. Being done!

Thanks TN_R11_Girl & Mike

Well, I'm not doing the work on it, but it's underway. Mitch is heading up the efforts from the moderator side of the house.

Thanks TN_R11_Girl & Mike

Well, I'm not doing the work on it, but it's underway. Mitch is heading up the efforts from the moderator side of the house.

Thank you all! :-)

Good evening,

I recently suscibed to this forum to share some memories of Pablo (Paul) Mihalka. He was a friend of my late father, Eduardo Munoz Sanchez Monge, while Pablo was racing in Venezuela with AJS and Velocette motorcycles in 53-54, my father was racing with an MG-TD and later a Triumph TR2. He once helped my father to get a spare part required for his car from the Los Proceres street circuit in Caracas to his home in La Florida by giving him a ride in his bike in record time !

I also got to meet him several times that he came to our house, before he left Venezuela in 1983, always on a nice bike (I remember seen him in a Honda CB750 and in a BMWR90).

A friend had told me that he worked in a BMW dealer back in 2004-2005 in Maryland, so I did a google search and after several hours found an e-mail address, so I wrote to him and he almost fell on the floor believing it was my father who was writing to him (we have similar names) .. sadly my father had passed away on 1995, but after explaining the fact, we established a good friendship.

Paul helped us with a local forum of cars and motorcycles, he was the administrator of the motorcycle section, you can see his posts and photos here:

http://www.pasionalavelocidad.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=101

He was a great writer with many detailed stories, and helped us to fill up many empty spaces in the history of racing sports cars and bykes in Venezuela, we will miss him !

Best Regards,

Eduardo Munoz

Tony Guzman Blanco

Eduardo,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your contributions. Tomas, a riding buddy of Pablo's and mine who currently lives in Barcelona, Spain and rides a BMW R-1150-RT is a frequent visitor to your blog pasionalavelocidad.com and has pointed me there on several occasions. Indeed it is a gold mine of information about Pablo and his era.

I just visited it and was surprised to see an early picture of Tonino Milano. When I met Tonino in 1974 he had a formidable four cylinder MV Agusta. In my first post here (page 29) I tell the story about how he and Pablo got away from our group on our way to the beach (Bahia de Cata) and left us all in the dust....

I remember his brother's Pizzeria Da Peppino in Altamira. They served the best pizzas in town.

Tony

Good morning Tony,

Thanks for yor response. I rode a Yamaha JT1 minibike between 1972 and 1974, but in those times it was getting becoming unsafe to ride in Caracas, so when I had the age to drive a car, I got a license...

The road from Maracay to Cata is quite a ride ! I also remember the Da Peppino Pizzeria, I think it was one of the first in Caracas, they also opened a branch in Margarita island in the mid 70's, in Av. 4 de Mayo in Porlamar.

You and all forum visitors are welcome to visit the Pasion a la Velocidad y Motores Forum, there is also a page available in Facebook:

Forum:

http://www.pasionalavelocidad.com/phpBB3/index.php

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/197080860334935/

Best regards,

Raising a glass of a Hungarian friend's favorite wine from her homeland in honor of Paul tonight:

ToastToPaul-L.jpg

Thinking of you, Paul, and I'm so very grateful to have known you. Since I guess I can't say the traditional: "Egészségedre!" (To your health!), I guess I'll have to settle for "Here's to you, Paul!" . . . and to your long life . . . one of inspiration to countless others whose own lives you've made better for having lived. I miss you already.

I met Paul at the UN in Gunnison. I was riding a K 1100 LT and he shared info about the bike that I didn't know.

I felt like he was a long time friend, not someone I just met.

Kindness personified!

It is obvious that he will be greatly missed by all who had the privilege to know him.

Somewhere he is "Still Riding"

Hi, KMG 365

I like your picture on that bottle of red wine from Hungary.

Yes, Paul like that one, so do I. We buy it by the case at Trader Joe's.

I am not big fan of Hungarian wines, but that one is a very good one.

But I am a big fan of Hungarians, since me and my wife are from the same city as our old friend,

Paul was.

When I joined this site over thirteen years ago, he immediately picked out my name as Hungarian. So we started communicating privately on line. About ten years ago we met in person. He was out on the West coast and I lived in Seattle at the time. He contacted me from Whistler, British Columbia, his final drive

broke down on his RT. The crown bearing failed. So me and a friend hooked up a trailer and went to his rescue. Brought him to our home, the bike to Ride West BMW, where he got a rebuilt final drive installed.

He stayed two nights with us, enjoyed some of his favorite Hungarian dishes and wine of course.

My wife and I had him brush up on his Hungarian, which he didn't had to many person to speak with,

since Maria dos not speak the language.

I only wish that we could have spent more time together, talking about the old country, motorcycling, and have a few more drinks together. He was such nice person. God bless his soul. We all miss him.

I have ben riding now for 61 years and ride my R 1200 RT almost every day here in the sunny Southern

Utah, where I moved six years ago from the gloomy Northwest.

Miklos, St George Utah

R 1200 Rt & Kawasaki 650 KLR for off road

Although Paul's loss is very sad (and not lost on me), I am reminded of an old proverb: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." We are fortunate to have known him.

I never met the man in person, but we exchanged a few pm's and numerous thoughts as regular posts here. I recall noticing one day in the BMW ON magazine that Paul had something like a million miles logged on BMWs, and he worked at a dealer. If that wasn't amazing enough, here he was a few weeks earlier, asking little old ME questions about a particular bike he was considering! ME!?!? I'm not worthy. But I had already told him what I thought about the bike. Anyway, it shows what a remarkable, and humble guy he was. I am just glad that I realized who I was talking to. It seems, after reading through these posts, that he affected all sorts of people he met, probably without ever realizing it. There are many others here that are equally remarkable in their own rights.

Anyway, as with others in my life that I have lost, I feel fortunate in the brief encounter. I have always felt that the best tribute a guy can make, in the name of their dearly departed, is to embrace life, and try to live up to the expectations I think they would have had of me. The day-dreamer in me says that I should attempt to ride a million miles too - as something of a tribute to Paul, and other, closer people I have known. A minute or two with the calculator, and I see that I have to ride 26,285 miles every year for 35 years (until I'm 80). AYE CARAMBA! I'm gonna need some new maps!

Would there be sufficient interest to do some good with the proceeds?

The Mihalka "lifetime mileage award"? MSF donations? Cancer society? Or Paul's pet charity? Perhaps even BMWST?

I'm full of good ideas, but sadly I haven't the foggiest about how to implement any of them....

• 2 weeks later...
Tony Guzman Blanco

Pablo's skills as a mechanic were invaluable. Paul fixes a flat tire as Aparicio and Morsa (Walrus) watch.

023.jpg

022.jpg

060.jpg

084.jpg

PABLO MEETS MARIA AMELIA:

Easter 1977. I traveled to the Venezuelan Andes a few days ahead of Paul. While I was riding I came across two lovely ladies (Christina and Maria Amelia) at the rest stop on the summit of Pico del Aguila (Venezuela's highest road point: 4,118 meters / 13,576 feet) They were driving a Range Rover. Long story short, when Pablo arrived we went to visit them at Christina's parents' strawberry farm nearby (Timotes). Pablo was immediately smitten by Maria Amelia and they were married the following December. Maria Amelia stopped riding as a passenger on Pablo's bike shortly thereafter. A girl does what she has to do....

Christina (driver's seat) and Maria Amelia (Passenger seat).

074.jpg

Pablo and Maria Amelia on a subsequent trip to the Andes.

045.jpg

Pablo, Maria Amelia and my ex-wife Mireille (we remain good friends)

042.jpg

RAFAEL (BRUTUS - TURBO PLUS) TAKES A DIVE INTO A STREAM

Rafael was trying to catch Antonio Del Valle (a former racing champion) when he found himself face to face with a truck occupying the single lane of a narrow bridge. Rafael chose to go off the road into the stream. The Kawasaki 900 was totaled but Rafael emerged miraculously without a scratch. During the rest of the trip he rode as a passenger on Pablo's motorcycle. A few hours later we came across another group of motorcyclists and we all rode together for the next few days. Pictures below were taken the day following Rafael's accident.

Rafael stands where he went into the stream

167.jpg

The bridge where Rafael went into the stream

101.jpg

Peppino (Bieffe), Preben, Jorge.

111.jpg

Pablo, Antonio, Tomas, Jorge, Peppino (Bieffe), Rafael, Preben.

107.jpg

108.jpg

AFTER LUNCH IN A LITTLE TOWN IN THE ANDES.

Aparicio, ?, Pablo, ?, Tony, ?, Jorge, Alain Bizet, Peppino (Bieffe), Tomas, Antonio, Vladimir.

160.jpg

PICO DEL AGUILA

(Venezuela's highest road point: 4,118 meters / 13,576 feet)

Alain Bizet, Antonio Del Valle

069.jpg

068.jpg

Tomas (back to the camera), Tony

032.jpg

ROADS IN THE ANDES

006.jpg

Pablo

009.jpg

011.jpg

053.jpg

Tony

010.jpg

076.jpg

052.jpg

VENEZUELAN LLANOS

Tomas, Antonio, Rafael (Brutus), Pablo, Peppino (Bieffe)

095.jpg

Pablo, Antonio, Peppino (Bieffe), Tomas, Rafael (Brutus)

099.jpg

Pablo, Antonio, Rafael (Brutus), Tomas

Tony (crouching)

098.jpg

AT THE TURAGUA RACE TRACK.

Tony

172.jpg

173.jpg

n1609961366_93970_765591.jpg

TOMAS: THEN AND NOW.

labembeyyo1.jpg

labembeyyo.JPG

MI.MO.TO+.jpg

MI.MO.TO.Y.YO.jpg

APARICIO THEN AND NOW.

6382_1093322865852_1609961366_244057_8115075_n.jpg

Utah+Flaming+Gorge+September+197.jpg

AGR+Ducati+p4+compressed.JPG

I just saw on Jim Fords website "the riders workshop" that he has the details for the Paul Mihalka Memorial Ride to Canaan Valley Sunday June 9th, for those of you that are interested.

Donna

Archived