IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

Paul you are one cool dude….a gentleman’s gentleman. We met at an UnRally so long ago. I watched you saddle up one morning and told my buddies that you logged Hundreds of Thousand Miles. We all smiled knowing we had a long way to go as we watched you roll out...

If the Lord has your next ride planned I pray it’s peaceful and surrounded by family and friends. Sorry this has happened. Thanks for sharing your life here with us. I will remain optimistic watching for you coming around the next corner and giving a wave.

Sorry to hear of your turn of fortune Paul. Kelly and I will pray for your recovery and return of good health. Stay strong.

I just got off the phone with Paul and he gave me permission to pass on the news here.

He's had two transfusions and is feeling way better.

A meeting with the oncologist yesterday, he described as "very, very good". The cancer is, of course, not liver in origin. Primary liver cancer is rare in the US. It started somewhere else -- they don't know where -- and has metastasized to the liver.

Prognosis is 3-6 months.

He'll be going home in 3-4 days with a hospital bed set up and in-home Hospice services.

There's usually very little pain with this type of cancer, just a gradual "flimsying away" as the liver fails.

Visits are tiring, he says. He has good family support, Hospice will be there, and he is very strongly looking forward to keeping in touch with everyone here by phone and on the Board.

He sent greetings and thanked everyone here. The outpouring of support has meant everything to him.

Yeeha! Stephen
Paul, for years now I've had these four pictures on my office wall:

Does a high resolution digital version of those photos exist?

I would love to have a copy for my wall.

The pictures I showed above came from this external website which recounts - in Spanish - some of the racing excitement behind those pics.

Mitch, the Google Portuguese translator spells it out pretty well.

"All the stories that we occasionally write us tremendous satisfaction is the pleasure to know - those lovers of motor sport - part of the assets of our heroes, but this time the taste is double because of them, don Pablo Mihalka in told to "live"! man who opened the door for international triumphs of Venezuelan motorcycling is still alive and flapping in the United States, and thanks to "Santa Internet", we find it! "

Joe Frickin' Friday
...and thanks to "Santa Internet", we find it!

Ah yes, Saint Internet - the patron saint of esoteric information. :grin:

Beautiful post James.

For those of us that find it difficult to express ourselves in these moments this helps.

Paul,

We met one time, a second chance was robbed with your mishap at the gas station on the way to Topaz Lodge. It was a pleasure to meet you and speak with you.....I wish there would be more.

Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear of your diagnosis and pray that God will grant you peace and comfort. The thing that has impressed me most about you is not your motorcycling prowess but rather your loving attitude and kind words expressed here towards your wife and family. To some it may go unnoticed but to me it is a breath of fresh air when I read the way you speak so affectionately about them. You and your family are blessed to love and to be loved.

beemerman2k

Very well said, Brian!

Paul, while I am amazed and impressed with your motorcycle feats, that's not the most impressive thing about you. It's your nature, your personality, your character, your values, your love for your family and for all of us. That's what makes you so great in my eyes, and in the eyes of all of us!

And that's where the great degree of admiration and respect that I have for you springs from. My grateful heart for your wonderful presence :thumbsup:

BalancePoint

Thoughts are with you. I'm just another stranger who has enjoyed the benefit of your wisdom and dry humor for a few years now, and your situation is genuinely distressing to me. I hope the outcome is better than you're suspecting by a large margin.

Paul,

I hope your twilight is beautiful...

May it start strong...

i-5N8SF3Z.jpg

...and grow to a burnished coppery fire...

i-WHFb3Pq.jpg

i-H26Xdcj.jpg

...before it begins to fade...

i-m5wjmb7.jpg

...into the beauty of the night...

i-6rbrkSZ.jpg

As you travel into the sunset, do not forget that the setting sun also shines brightly on the road behind...

i-Zwnvwjh.jpg

Bittersweet times my friend, bittersweet times. Go well.

Wow. I've been away from the forum for a while and wasn't prepared to hear news like this.

Paul, I was blessed to meet you at the UN in NH after countless threads of enjoyment. You are truely and always will be an idol of mine. Ride-on . . .

Arianne,

Thank you SO much for posting this and for becoming part of this, your dad's other family. It's clear how much we adore him. I hope to be one of those people you meet.

Until then, do me a big favor. Whisper in your dad's ear that Mama Hoon loves him.

Arianne,

PM sent ... and like Leslie, I hope very much to meet you someday.

Best wishes and comfort to you Paul. Remember that we are all here for you and hope that you will continue to be strong throughout this whole sordid ordeal.

Godspeed and God bless.

Kedves Pali,...........from an other rider and a Hungarian friend.

I just learned about the not very pleasant news from Peter Algover.

Eva and I are with you in our thoughts and praying for the best possible turn out.

" A Jo Isten segitsen ezekben a nehez napokban ".......baratod,

szeretettel, Miklos es Eva

St George, Utah

Don Pablo,

Gracias por compartir su conocimiento y sabiduria con su familia extendida.

Vaya tranquilo con Dios,

Un amigo.

JerryMather

Paul

You are in my prayers and have been in my mind every time I've looked at a older BMW racer bike or photo for many years now. You have been an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. It's been my pleasure to have met you so many years ago up in Torrey. Thank you for all the found memories.

Paul, all the best and stay optimistic. My dad had the same cancer and he beat it.

Back in 1993, I bought a new R100RT from you. My local MI dealer couldn't get one so I traveled to Bob's and enjoyed the whole transaction process due to you.

A few weeks later, I rode to the Buckeye Rally in Ohio and you came up to me and we had a nice chat. Always enjoyed that interaction so know that I have you in my thoughts.

You'll get through this!

RPG

Paul,

I think you are ascending my online and real world friend. No one who is as loved as you is going downhill. We will see you again and you can lead us on another amazing journey. May God grant you the peace that surpasses all understanding. Arienne, welcome to the family.

I guess it is time to start the F.O.P.s Friends of Paul. I'm humbled and honored to be a member.

Paul, you are an inspiration and will be missed on this board, at our gatherings, and on the road. We all welcome your daughter and look forward to sharing the ride with her.

Arianne, I am sorry for your trials as you prepare to say a final goodbye to your dad. I lost my dad more than 10 years ago and he rides with me still. I hope to meet you at one of our gatherings some day.

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

RESPECT!

GENTLEMAN!

COURAGE!

Paul, those words come to mind when I think about you and what you have meant to us here and others around the world. If only I were half the man you are......

Paul, words are very inadequate to express the sadness we feel about your illness.

May you get the strength to handle this in the best way possible.

We send our Love, Lester & Nadine.

Prayers going out to you Paul and your family, I really enjoyed our chats in Torrey over the years with you and all our friends. Looking forward to seeing you again on another ride there with many others who are waiting.

Tony Guzman Blanco

I posted this elsewhere on this forum. The post is called:

PAUL MIHALKA - THE MAESTRO

I’m an old riding buddy and good friend of Paul’s (he posted a story on this forum about how he met his lovely wife Maria Amelia , in which he blames me for his good fortune):

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276534&page=1

I want to share with his many, many friends and riding buddies on this forum, a few experiences and thoughts about this wonderful man.

In July 2009 he told me that Jim Ford, a good friend of his had written an article about him

http://www.ridersworkshop.com/maketime.pdf

After reading the article, I sent the following email to Jim:

Dear Jim,

I just finished reading your enjoyable article: “MAKE THE TIME AN INVITATION TO ZEN MOTORCYCLING” which was kindly forwarded to me by our mutual friend Paul Mihalka and where you describe your first ride with him.

I can relate to your experience. Back in 1974 (I was 28 at the time) Pablo, as we call him, was already a legend of Venezuelan motorcycling (seven times Venezuelan champion, South American champion, he finished every single race he started, never failing to do so as the result of a spill or mechanical failure). We met by chance at the BMW dealership as we took delivery of two identical black and silver BMW R-90-S bikes when I told him that a group of wild and fast motorcyclists would convene every evening at a café called the OK. Piqued, he showed up that evening and the following week-end went for a ride with us…..What a ride! He and the then reigning Venezuelan champion left us all in the dust and disappeared ahead of us as we all drove down a winding mountain road towards the beach as fast as we could……A few minutes later, as we came around a curve we saw Pablo and Tonino (with a lighted cigarette dangling from his lips), resting by the roadside, sans jackets, sans helmets, standing by their bikes, looking as cool as cucumbers and totally relaxed…..Nothing was said about our relative driving abilities but more than one hotshot in our group was humbled by the experience….So much for the hotshots….

We all continued towards this beach at a more relaxed pace and on the way back, discovered that Pablo was a true master. Whereas some of our group members would speed up wherever possible once we were on straighter roads and highways, almost invariably (road permitting) Pablo kept going constantly at 140 KPH (87.5 MPH), a speed that was to become his trademark as he would go at 140 KPH when the road was straight, curving, uphill, downhill, dry or wet, with or without a passenger, during the day or at night….and all the fast hotshots couldn’t keep up with him for any extended period of time….and I followed him, soaking up as much information as I could, as my riding abilities were pushed farther than ever. That is when I decided two things: To become his friend and to ride right behind him as often as I could. From that day in 1974 through 1978 I rode many, many miles behind Pablo, every week-end, on short and long trips lasting several days whenever we had some holiday. Needless to say, this riding and our conversations taught me just about everything I ever learned about motorcycling….and I lived to tell the tale.

The group, which grew so as to include several former and active racers has long since disbanded. However, five of us remain very close and still swap stories by e-mail and SKYPE about the good old days. Tomas went to Spain in 1978 (he still rides a R-1150-RT), Pablo went to the U.S. shortly thereafter, Bob went to Mexico in 1994 and subsequently to Germany, Aparicio wound up in Luxembourg after living in the U.S. (He still has and rides his yellow R-100-RS, restored to mint condition and also, a Ducati) and I wound up in Panama in 2006.

I no longer ride but had to share with you and the rest of our gang of five that we are all fortunate to be counted among Maestro Pablo’s alumni.

I wish you many more miles of happy and safe riding.

Tony

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Pablo will be riding any time soon but he will be remembered by all of us, old and new riding buddies who had the good fortune of knowing him and becoming his friends.

Please keep us posted if anything changes with Paul's situation. I would ask Arianne, but I expect she has her hands full right now. I hear there is info on some Facebook site, but I don't have a Facebook account (and don't want one).

Thank you.

Now that I've had time to compose myself and collect my thoughts after this shocking news ......

Jan, thanks for that wonderful photo-essay on about page 18 of this thread. Very well done. And Thanks also to Myrl and Paul for alerting me to this development, as I'm not on the site as often as in the past.

I went for a ride today, ... for Paul and for my own solace. It is something I tend to do for respite when I am sad, depressed, or troubled. It was a beautiful day, despite the overcast in my heart.

I know Paul to be a gentleman, and a gentle man who has a great gusto for life and a wonderful sense of humor. I am a fellow Hungarian, so sometimes we would communicate in our native language - haltingly on my part.

He is a vast resource of knowledge on BMW and motorcycling, and is always willing to share and help. One time as an example: In my third or fourth year with my 2000 R1100RT, it developed an intermittent problem where I could raise the windshield, but not lower it. My dealer, at the time Cary's Marin BMW, couldn't diagnose the problem - did I mention it was intermittent? It was not a big deal, .... but annoying! I mentioned it in an e-mail to Paul, and he shortly responded explaining what was wrong and what parts needed to be changed! Wow! And, no, I was never so foolish as to try to catch him on his motorcycle! :) What a loss this will be for his family and all of us!

Páli, Isten veled az Ö békeségében.

Thanks for the memories.

Peter and Jane

I am happy to pass along information and well wishes for this group. I plan on seeing Paul regularly and know your thoughts mean very much to him.

Tony Guzman Blanco

Peter,

That was a beautiful post and tribute to our good friend.

Trying to catch him was certainly foolish, but lots of fun and a learning experience....it made me a much better rider.

Tony

I just spoke with Paul on the phone. He is home as of yesterday afternoon. He has a hospital bed set up downstairs, just a few steps from his desk chair where he can get on the internet. Not too much further is the bathroom. Maria, her son and Paul's daughter, Arianne, are there.

He has been on this forum and read every one of the postings, delighted in the photos, and said he is deeply moved by all the wishes and feelings.

(And he gave me permission to post whatever I want!! Look out, Paul!!)

Paul Mihalka

Just short: I'm home. Wonderful setup, the same I had the last time I broke a leg. Comfortable. Rounded with wonderful family.

Love you!

I visited our friend Paul today at home! He was sitting at his command center when he called me to his inner sanctum. I nervously entered, then I saw his smiling face and I was calm. I was expecting worse but Paul was on top of his game, we talked some business, then joked a little. Paul is amazing!

He spoke about his friends here and the comments on the thread. I know his get togethers with you folks was something he planned for & talk about for months and I know he's reading this.

I met his wonderful daughter, who has her father's eyes and smile. I hope to see her and ride with you all soon.

Regards, Drew

I'm happy to see you here, and glad to hear you're at home.

Big hugs from both of us here - wish they could be in person!

There is no place like home Paul- Glad you are there. Positive energy to you and your family- Much Love..

Heck & the Missus..

Archived