IGNORED

Going down-hill

Paul Mihalka

I am happy to help those coming into the DC area with lodging and transportation needs. Eagle Rider of DC will have motorcycles to rent for those flying. I'll be glad to arrange airport pick ups also, please message feel free to post or message me with questions.

Tony Guzman Blanco
This is a little like finding out that your quiet uncle used to play drums in a heavy metal rock band.

------

Hahaha....Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Despite his Teutonic demeanor and guttural accent, Pablo was completely Tropicalized, except that it wasn't obvious.

Tony

Thank you Donna.

From the LINK above....

I (Jim Ford) will lead a Memorial Ride for our friend

Paul on Sunday June, 9 2013. The ride will essentially be the

very ride The Maestro shared with me so many years ago. We will

meet where Paul and I first met up for that ride which is at the

McDonalds Restaurant in Myersville, Maryland at 7:30

AM. From there, we’ll ride up to Canaan Valley, West Virginia. The

ride is a “go” rain or shine. We’ll conduct a brief ceremony and

afterward have lunch at a pre-arranged site. Then we’ll continue the

ride which will conclude back at the McDonalds later that afternoon.

If you’re interested in participating, let me know at

JBF2352@gmail.com

I am very sad to say that I won't be able to attend on that date. I'm hoping that someone who does make it can provide the GPS coordinates for the location.

I am very sad to say that I won't be able to attend on that date. I'm hoping that someone who does make it can provide the GPS coordinates for the location.

Will do. I am already planning to attend. Hopefully I will remember to take some pics.

I wish I could be there, but I'll be on an airplane from Anchorage to Atlanta that day.

GPS coordinates and a photo or two would be much appreciated, as my wife and I will probably be riding through that area at the beginning of September.

Glenn - Thanks for getting me the GPS coordinate in June. That will make it very easy to get to when next I travel south.

Here is a written version of how to locate the meadow, from Jim Ford:

Canaan Valley Resort Lodge. Take the long driveway in. Go past the intersection where you would turn right to go to the lodge itself. About a quarter mile beyond the intersection is a parking lot on the left. Turn in. Stop

Here is a map of the Canaan Valley Resort Driveway Map

Here is the Canaan Valley Resort Website

It sounds as if this was a very special spot for Paul. And now he's going to give it special meaning for us. Beautiful.

Always going to miss you being everywhere we gather. Forever I'll be seeing you in my minds eye as you travel the roads of the U.S.A.

Ok, so I used google maps to find the parking lot described by Jim Ford, it should be centered in this view - Here. You may have to zoom in a few times to see the parking lot just north and a little west of the resort itself.

I then had to use some other tools, but it certainly appears that these are the Latitude and Longitude for the parking lot: 39.025468,-79.466965. Should I find out otherwise on June 9th, I will post again.

Frank Cloud

Can't believe it. I haven't been on the site for a while and I just tune in to find this out. Did not get to wish Paul farewell. :-(

A quick note. Quite a few years ago, I was supposed to meet Paul and I believe Marty for lunch in North Georgia during the rally. The rain was horrific so I chose to stay home. Got a pretty good chewing from Paul on that one, and well deserved!

God Speed Paul, I am truly sorry I did not get to say my goodbyes.

AdventurePoser

I've been away from this site for some time and didn't know Paul was sick. I had the opportunity to meet him once and was impressed by his wit, cheery smile and outlook on life.

He will continue to be an inspiration to me.

Godspeed Paul.

• 1 month later...

I think of Paul often when I'm out riding and other times. The first time I met Paul was at the UN Rally 6 in West Virginia. Nothing major just a few minutes chatting and then we were each off to different conversations and activities. At the end of the UN we ended up leaving about the same time and I road behind Paul for an hour or so. At the time I'd only been riding seriously about 2 years. I remember watching Paul and being amazed at how he seemed to BE the bike. After awhile we came to where we would part ways and with a simple head nod and hand wave we were off to our homes. Unfortunately I only got to see Paul a couple brief times after that. I am certainly glad I had the opportunity to meet him and to be a part of this board to hear about his travels and stories.

Glenn Reed

I thought of Paul yesterday, when we drove through the cut at

I seem to remember some pics he took out there at sunrise one day, when starting one of his rides.

Archived