IGNORED

Trade The RT for GS ?

Rapala 50

O.K. here's the problem. I really would like to get a GS but hate the thought of giving up the RT. Told the wife what I was thinking and she didn't think the GS would make a good 2up bike for most of the traveling we do, so I told her I still wanted to keep the RT for that, ( guess what she said ). If I didn't have so much time invested in her, she would be the Item being traded. ( Hope she doesn't see this post ). Sure do like the looks of the water cooled GS....

The GS is a fine two up bike, especially if you are a fairer weather rider. Really cold, and really wet weather will leave you either really cold or really wet.

If you have the right gear, then the GS will rock your world as a 2 up touring bike.

Can you afford a second bike? Plenty of pre-loved GS out there to choose from to cut your investment considerably. The 1150 is a fine machine (especially the Adventure) but you can do no wrong with either the Camhead or the Hexhead.

Or you can just wait some time, book a test ride on the new Waterhead later this year (so you won't pine for it too long) and then make your decision.

O.K. here's the problem. I really would like to get a GS but hate the thought of giving up the RT. Told the wife what I was thinking and she didn't think the GS would make a good 2up bike for most of the traveling we do, so I told her I still wanted to keep the RT for that, ( guess what she said ). If I didn't have so much time invested in her, she would be the Item being traded. ( Hope she doesn't see this post ). Sure do like the looks of the water cooled GS....

You can't tell without a test ride — preferably 2-up. Ever since the camhead engines were introduced, I lusted for a GS. I went for a test ride last fall, and meh. My 1999 RT fits me better, it's paid for, and completely sorted out. The engine and transmission on the GS were wonderful, and it was kind of fun to ride a BMW where you could actually hear an exhaust note, but ultimately, it just wasn't enough an improvement to justify parting with $15,000 (net).

We have a 2009 GS that we have put 50,000 miles on 90%

two-up. I never have liked big fairings. In the winter we use heated gear and in the summer we get the wind.

The trick here is to get the little lady to ride that RT along side of you, on your GS. Give her riding lessons and the RT for her birthday. Then, after an appropriate amount of time (don't want to look too anxious), quietly pick up the GS.

"Gee, honey, we really can't bring all this camping gear with us on one bike...."

or

"Wow, look at the price of gas, sweetheart. What if we sold the suburban and you started riding a motorcycle to work?"

or better yet

"You really should know how to ride this thing by yourself. What if something happens? What if my back goes out? You could go home and get the car...."

Good luck, man.

Not that my wife rode a lot with me but when she did, she prefered the GS over my RT. She felt it was a more gentle ride. I guess the spring travel was longer on the GS. So a good test run with two up is a must, you might convince your wife to go for the GS that way.

I sold a few to folks who went RT to GS (A) and vice versa.

One of our previous board "owners" went fromn RT to GS and his wife liked it better.

Many factors.

Some included size/build of rider and passenger/windsheild/helmet/gear.

Passenger sits at different level and build of rider/screen design can produce air turbulence variations for passenger.

As stated above.

Test ride a must.

Good luck.

Matt,

Notice that he lives in Central New York ;) !

Different if he was in TX or FL LOL!

Paging TEWKS or RevRay...

Both GS guys, NY and MA. The know a bit about GS and weather. And moose avoidance!

Paging TEWKS or RevRay...

Both GS guys, NY and MA. The know a bit about GS and weather.

I still consider myself a bit of a poser but I did ride my GS home in the snow. :)

IMG_3643.jpg

If it was one or the other I'd probably say RT. The GS is fun beyond belief but for long distance touring, I was more comfortable on my RT. That being said, I am so looking forward to seeing places this summer I'd probably never take an RT.

Pat

Thanks for all the impute, always great to get a few different views. I think sometime this spring I will have to take a test ride on a GS with the wife and see if she likes the ride better than on the RT. She has no interest in Driving a bike and its taking almost two years to get her to ride with me as much as she does now . I liked the thought of having both bike's and if the moon and stars would Aline right with my bank account I just might do it . Might be in the market for a new wife if I do but a new Adventurous model sounds like fun ( wife that is ).....lol

Thought I wanted a gs till I rode one off road. To damn front heavy to go anywhere my rt won't. I actually did better on the rt in loose sand. I did like the gearing on the gs. I think any heavy bike you have problems picking up belongs on the road.

Archived