IGNORED

Throttle twist grip sticking

Chris Cash

I have a 04 1150RS that I just got. The twist grip throttle is sticking. I had to loosen the bar end weight to get it to returne to idle by its self.

Morning Chris Cash

You don't have a bar end throttle lock on that bike do you? Some look just like a standard bar end weight only you twist it to lock the throttle.

Otherwise, either loosen the screws & move the throttle housing inboard a bit OR, shim the weight out with a thin washer (somewhat common issue).

Usually gets worse with heated grips turned on & heated grips expanded.

If you have a picture of the throttle side post it and people will be able to see if there is a throttle lock.

That is a knurled ring on the end of the grip, inboard of the bar end weight that you you can twist to hold the throttle on, a sort of cruise control if you will.

Afternoon kmac

They don't all have knurled rings or blatant identifiers. Some throttle locks like the Throttle Meister are slick & look a lot like stock. On those the throttle lock side is almost identical to the clutch lever side by looks.

I tryed to twist it thinking it had a cruse control on it. If the end bolt is tight it will not move, even loose there is no diffence in the tension. Can I move the assembly up the bar some? Cant find a pinch bolt for the assembly, is it under all the switches?

Afternoon Chris

Remove the screws holding the combinations switch on (look underneath also). There is a rear facing pinch bolt under it.

When I got my 1100gs, the previous owner made some large plastic washers on the throttle side ends, so that the plastic washers would touch the metal and not the rubber sides.

Dan.

Be careful with loosening the bar ends, that just treats a symptom and not the problem... My bar ends were what I thought were on properly and I lost the one on the throttle side... it obviously vibrated loose and I didn't see it. Find out where your throttle is binding and fix the problem... the bar end isn't it unless it is also a throttle lock.

-John

Archived