IGNORED

2006 UnRally: Planning update

Tasker

Hi Guys and Gals!

I wanted to give you an update on the 2006 UnRally planning.

I've asked the following bmwst.com members to help me out with various functions:

Matt Staller: UnRally website and logo design

Steve Knapp: Routes

Ken and Donna Harbeck: Registration

John Bellantonio: Scouting (He lives in Buena Vista!)

Hotel: I have narrowed the search to two, which are the Water Wheel Inn and the Holiday Inn Express. John is in the process of meeting with the managers of both properties, and I have talked with both many times. John is aware of what our needs are, and is doing the site visits to confirm what I've been told.

The owner of the Water Wheel Inn really wants our business and has given us rates that are just a bit less than the Holiday Inn Express however, they only have about fifty rooms that we can use. Some of the issues I've asked him about have been resolved, i.e. the lack of internet access for guests has been resolved, but only if the person wanting to use his service goes into his lobby.

The Holiday Inn Express is my first choice because the property will be new and fully equipped with everything to meet our needs however, the property was to be open for business this past November and is now scheduled and promised to open no later than March 31st. I'm a little worried about their opening push-backs, but the wait could be worth it. John is eyeballing the construction to see if the March opening is realistic.

Camping: As you already know, we will be using the KOA again. Everything is set.

Dinner(s): Of course, we will have at least one evening meal as a group, probably some kind of a BBQ. I have calls into a few people, including the vendor we used for UnOne. Discussions are ongoing.

I haven't decided about the second meal together, as I am trying to keep our UnRally registration fee as low as possible. Since the "official" nights will number three, I don't see a problem with keeping the other two nights in Gunny free for our attendees to visit the surrounding establishments. I am open to your thoughts and ideas.

Breakfast: I've been told by a number of people that the breakfast that has been offered at the campsite is not that important. In fact, many of our attendees in 2005 did not take advantage of the food and juice and coffee that was offered.

The people who hotel it will not usually join those at the KOA for breakfast, opting to have breakfast at the hotel or at a breakfast place in town.

My gut feeling is to not worry about feeding out attendees in the mornings. Again, this would save some money on our UnFees.

Thoughts?

Tee-shirts: I have a meeting set for next week to get our pricing for our 2006 UnShirts. Matt is working on the design for the UnLogo, which will also be used on our shirts. I've seen some initial design work. It will be very cool!

I've been told by several people that they have missed not having event stickers, so I am looking into them, as well.

Other things I am pondering for our group:

1.) Having a message therapist available to our group for after-ride workouts.

2.) Having our daily announcements done the night before instead of the day of. This is because so many of our attendees miss the morning announcements due to getting on the road at different times. Most of us seem to be together in the evenings.

3.) I am looking into a tent for both the hotel and the KOA that will be large enough for our group at each location in case of bad weather.

4.) I am working on a list of resources and things to do for those who may not want to ride everyday, or for the wives and SOs who may not want to be on a bike during the week -- shopping, festivals, events, etc.

My plan is to announce the event in stages, the first being the hotel and KOA arrangements. As soon as these details are fixed, I will announce them to the board. As we add each component of the UnRally, I will make the announcement to the board and that element will be added to the website by Matt.

There you go! Hopefully this will let you know that the UnRally planning is indeed progressing, and will give you an opportunity to offer input, questions and suggestions.

Thanks, everyone!

This all looks good to me. My brief feedback on things that stand out:

a) I'd vote in favor of waiting for the HI Express. The other one sounds like a distant second choice.

b) I'm fine dropping breakfast.

c) I'm fining limiting evening meals.

d) I'm fine handling announcements anyway we want, but my suggestion is to drop the formal time entirely and just have them on a big board by a certain time every night. I can also make arrangements to have them posted to a site every day so that those with laptops can just pick 'em up there.

Agree onthe HI Express. I was just in Gunnison a few days ago and the Water Wheel impresses me even less than the last time.

No breakfast, but you're looking at a massage person..

We've always been sorta anti-social at these things, but I always remember the breakfasts being a good place for people to meet and get together in the AM. I'd probably miss that, but havning said that, I really don't care. ;)

No breakfast, but you're looking at a massage person..

This person would be a service to the group, and they would pay for their workout -- not part of the rally fee.

And, I'll buy you a muffin... tongue.gif

Would this person be a "vendor"?

If I can pay for a massage, why not for Al's earplugs? Or have Sean install some aux lights? Or other goods/services?

I don't care, personally, but others might and it is somewhat inconsistant in my mind.

Nevermind that the idea of a massage seems girly.

I like the sweet rolls and continental breakfast goodies in the morning, and the early socialing that I've seen at each of the 3 UnRallies that I've been to.

I won't get a massage.

I don't care about internet access (I think it only applies to a few).

I like to be at a place where the outdoor grounds are comfortable, grassy, serene, highly conducive to easy social interaction without boundaries, and permit public drinking and ceegar smoking.

A pool and/or hot tub is nice.

Having to walk several flights of stairs with gear is not nice.

Very good parking for the bikes is essential.

That said, this UnRally is not about me or what I like, so I'll leave it to the organizers to decide what they want to do, and I'll just show up.

Please give us advance notice of where the headquarters will be so we can get our rooms before the masses start calling. Shhhh....

Nevermind that the idea of a massage seems girly.

You're reading way, way, way too much into this, and no, this person would not be a vendor.

This was just an idea to make a nice service available to our group, or maybe the S/Os who may not be riding -- remember them? tongue.gif

And, at the end of a long day in the saddle, it's a great way to find some comfort and relaxation. Maybe I'm over-estimating our group? eek.gifwink.gif

Girly? Try one, you won't think it is so girly... tongue.gifsmirk.gif

Maybe, for you, I could add a nail salon person... tongue.gifgrin.gif

You're reading way, way, way too much into this, and no, this person would not be a vendor.

I'm just offering the perspective of "Hey, Al isn't allowed to sell me earplugs, but the UN has an official massage person..."

Not a vendor? How so? You pay them, you get a service.

It's not a service everyone needs/wants like food. There's no group dynamic, like a group dinner.

I thought, for example, Al was being asked to do business behind closed doors. It was a can of worms you didn't want to open. But for the massage person, you're not only saying that it's OK for them to do business at the Un, but you're encouraging them to join us!

How is it different than Al's earplugs? Or cyclegadgets? Or... They are all nice services. I don't see how massage stands out above the others. Honestly, I think more people enjoy getting custom earplugs than massage.

Girly? Try one, you won't think it is so girly...

I've had the joy of not only getting one, but having my insurance pay for it. grin.gif

And, since this is the case, no BBQ, no tents, no shirts, no stickers... All vendors...

These things you mention are all benefitting all those who attend the rally. Massage benefits only a few.

I really don't care. I just wanted to raise the point as I do think that a few people might give you shit about this.

I'd rather you heard it from a friend. grin.gif

It's not a service everyone needs/wants like food. There's no group dynamic, like a group dinner.

We don't need this stuff either. If we were to follow the intent and the spirit of the "UN"rally, we would just tell everyone when and where to show up to ride. Period. We wouldn't offer a package that includes a shirt, sticker, a BBQ dinner, etc. Everyone could just figure out on their own where to stay or camp without the benefit of group rates and "Hey, maybe we'll see you on ther road, maybe not!" Also, the cost of tents that would be rented and errected for our crew to stand under in case of fowl weather also is figured into the rally fee.

I thought, for example, Al was being asked to do business behind closed doors. It was a can of worms you didn't want to open.

For the 2006 UN, I haven't talked with Al. I'm not afraid to open a can of worms with him or other vendors, but part of the parameters for upcoming UNs is that we do not allow PRODUCT vendors, and here's where I differentiate vendors.

The PRODUCT vendors, i.e. Al, Cyclegadgets, etc. don't really enhance our UN. If we brought on these vendors, then they require a certain level of work for the UN committee, and the original godfathers of this event choose not to have them join us, because of the added work and the politics involved.

But, vendors like the tent guy, the BBQ crew, the shirt printer, the sticker maker, and yes, even someone who would offer their services to rub your neck or do your nails, add some value to the event. I would imagine that there are those attendees out there who could care less about having a tee-shirt or sticker, and they really aren't that interested in eating catered food, but we go ahead and do it anyway.

you're not only saying that it's OK for them to do business at the Un, but you're encouraging them to join us!

Encouraging them to join us? That's a bit over the top, frankly. My thought was that this person would be made aware of our group, maybe offer us a discounted fee for service, and if someone wanted to use this person, then there would be a phone number that could be called. They wouldn't be "joining" us.

How is it different than Al's earplugs? Or cyclegadgets? Or... They are all nice services. I don't see how massage stands out above the others.

Al and Cyclegadgets and all the others offer products, not service. The massage idea doesn't stand out "above" the others, and I never said it does, but it is very different, as I stated above.

IMHO, there isn't anything that Al or other product vendors offer that increases the overall value of our event. Are they good products? Of course they are, and I personally use them, but they don't add value. A good BBQ, etc. adds value for most.

Hey, this was an idea that I floated. The idea sunk. No big deal. I was looking for ways to enhance and increase the value to our group, and maybe do something different and fun.

I won't even dare bring up some of my other ideas! eek.giftongue.gifsmirk.gif

These things you mention are all benefitting all those who attend the rally.

Yes yes. But, they aren't nesessary.

Massage benefits only a few.

So what? There are those who don't eat the catered BBQ. Last year, we had people ask us if they could save a few bucks by not getting the tee-shirt. A message person wouldn't cost anyone who doesn't want the service a penny. Big difference...

I do think that a few people might give you shit about this.

No problem, wouldn't be the first or the last time, but I appreciate you looking out for my welfare! wink.gif

One more thought.

This event has become a lot more than just a few days of riding, and it brings people who don't ride much or at all, like your wife and new baby, other S/Os and maybe some guys or gals who do ride but not all the time.

My intent of coming up with some different services and ideas about what could be offered was to enance this event for the non-riders, instead of them doing nothing or not having many options.

When I do an event, I try to think about more than just those of us who will be gone on our bikes all day, and try to make it fun and interesting for everyone.

I'm thinking about things like (hotel) shuttles to town for those who could be stuck without transportation, what other events are going on in the area, i.e. festivals, exhibits, shopping, etc., services that some of us may or not need, i.e. hardware, tires, med-checks, etc.

These are the kinds of things that will be put into list form for those who might be interested, not costing anyone anything, only a service for the local chamber.

Hey guys,

Just a quick, external perspective here. Although it's obvious that everyone here only has the best intentions and no one can fault anyone for how much they want to make this thing great - it's been my experience that all anyone really cares about is riding and eating large amounts of food together before and/or after the day (and the story telling implicit in the eating part).

Now, I happen to love a good message and all - but I'm also in solid touch with my feminine side. But I don't think such things are worth arguing over. If they're there, great. If not, I don't believe anyone will truly miss it. The same goes for T-shirts, internet access, temporary tattoos, well-designed porcelain figurines, etc., etc. And I'm the one who put a boat-load of effort into making T-shirts for Mayhem the first few times.

Anything you want to do is great. But please remember, we tend to be a simple group who likes to ride, eat and bullshit - not necessarily in that order. It's not worth arguing over the other little stuff.

Just my humble (feminine-adjusted) perspective.

Keep it Un. Keep it Fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.

I just know that planning an event like this brings out the worst of the best, and the marmite of the worst.

I just saw a spot where some might cry "foul" and wanted to point it out. No hard feelings.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would let you know that we (UnCommittee) are close to posting the UnRally website and registration process. I am hopeful that this will happen next week.

I would like your feedback on something:

Right now, I have the same caterer that was used in 2002 set-up to provide dinner for our group again this year. His group will provide several meat options, and all the sides and fixins. He was supremely popular in 2002.

Due to availability / service issues, we will not be offering the breakfast routine to our group, which in the past included things like donuts, juice and coffee. Since there are ample options for breakfast in the Gunnison area, this should not be a problem.

So, would you like to have a second group meal?

Right now, we are scheduled to have our one group dinner on Wednesday, June 21st. We could add a second dinner for the night before or for the last night, or maybe have them on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I've broached the topic with the caterer to see what his schedule says.

I was thinking that maybe he could do a fried chicken dinner as the second option.

The pizza option is still out there, but as we've all experienced, there is always a problem with getting all the pies to us at the same time, due to baking capacity issues, and we would have the same problem this year. This is why I thought it might be better to have another dinner catered by the same guy, but different food.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Les is more

Tasker, I think a second catered dinner would have the definite advantage of supplying one more focal point for the group. This seems like an especially good idea since there'll be a natural separation of hotel/campground.

Another thought I had was about the possibility of the hotel honoring BMWST KOA registrations for breakfast or at least offering a low price for the KOAers to come to breakfast at the hotel. That could lend a lot to the cameraderie and the ease of meeting up for rides etc.

Archived