IGNORED

ABS question

No_Twilight

I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 K1200RS with ABS. It has 31k miles on it and has an ABS problem. The light flashes and the owner had the dealer reset it for him. The dealer told him it was a "gummed up piston". It started flashing again and he just put tape over the light and has been riding it Non-abs. He has a new battery so he probably tried that fix.

Does anyone know what ABS system this bike has? I assume it is the same as the R-bikes that I'm more familiar with but don't know if it is the ABSII like I have on my 95 R11RS or if it is the newer one that is much more complicated.

Anybody have any experience with this type of problem?

I've been active on the Oilhead Wrenchin' board but I think this is my first post on the K-bike forum.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jerry

Jerry

Please don't think that I am blowing you off, but if I were you I would post this question on www.k-bikes.com

That site is for all modern k-bike

I think you have ABS2 on a 2000 K1200. I have a '04 KRS and it is a different animal from the 2000.

Bruce C

Anybody have any experience with this type of problem?

I've been active on the Oilhead Wrenchin' board but I think this is my first post on the K-bike forum.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jerry

Jerry,

You have ABS-II but similar to the R1100S ABS-II which is different from the R1100RT/RS and R1150 ABS-II.

If the error was 'piston fault', I'll bet it's a mechanical problem in the Hydro pump itself. I've seen a few of these type failures and they all have had mechanical problems inside the unit.

Mick

I have a 92 K75s with 1st Generation ABS. The rear solenoid kept sticking and the dealer said it would have to be replaced. But also beware the ABS "Brain" could be the problem also, that's a minimun $1000 fix.

Looks like I can buy a complete ABS pump unit used for $400 from Beemerboneyard...we'll see if I get the bike. thanks,

--Jerry

Archived