IGNORED

1996 r1100rt

Lighthiker90

Hi. I am trying to decide between a 1996 r1100rt and a 2004 11540RTP. Most of my RTP questions were answered with the search function. Great forum and great feature.

The 1996 has 6000 miles on it. Showroom condition. It has been started and driven regularly, but only short distances. Anything I should be on the lookout for on a bike that has essentially sat it's whole life? Are parts still available for a bike this old? It sounds like I should plan on doing a HES and in tank fuel line replacement based on age.

Thanks

Parts shouldn't be an issue.

Service history?

Even w/only 6k it should have had numerous services done based on calendar, IMO.

Tires?

Original?

Replace.

Had a '96 oilhead and really liked it.

Any RTP can be a great bike w/minor issues.

Or, dpending on use/maintenance/wiring somewhat problematic.

If the RThad a brake flush I'd want some checking of the I ABS

just making sure it works when pushed hard and there are no leaks.

Could be a very nice find.

RTP's more likely to be found in the future, IMO, than the RT.

Welcome! Parts are definitely available. Replacing HES and fuel lines is a very good idea. If the tires are the originals, they obviously have to go right away. If they have been replaced, check their condition and production date. Production date is the last 4 digits of the DOT number, no. of week within thew year and the year ww/yy.

I have run a 1996 1100RS for seven years. Here in the UK it is easy to get parts for this bike (easier and cheaper in fact than for my 2011 Honda Deauville). The main thing with these earlier oilheads (pre 1997) is the transmission. Yours, like mine, will probably have the M94 gearbox. These can have issues such as "skipping" in second or third gear and selector wear. On the other hand mine is still ok (touch wood), though I would advise using Redline Heavyweight Shockproof oil. Many gearboxes were replaced under warranty; the trouble with low mileage bikes is that they won't have done enough miles for the problems to have become apparent under warranty.

If the bike has had little use I wouldn't worry about the HES, at least as a priority. The wiring degrades through use and exposure to moisture more than age per se; I have just replaced mine as a precaution and I have to say that the wiring on mine was excellent because, like the one you are looking at, it has led a good life and has never seen winter use.

I had to replace the head gaskets on mine too, another common issue on the earlier oilheads. As with the gearboxes, it took BMW a few goes to get it right, but the latest design is fine.

The later 1150s are not without their problems either eg stick coil failure and the FD bearings seem to wear out more quickly. I would choose on condition rather than model. The 1100 is a tough old beast on which there isn't anything that cannot be sorted with the help of folks on forums such as this.

Just my opinion, but I'd happily go for the low mileage 1100 over the police-spec 1150, assuming the price is right.

Hi. I am trying to decide between a 1996 r1100rt and a 2004 11540RTP. Most of my RTP questions were answered with the search function. Great forum and great feature.

The 1996 has 6000 miles on it. Showroom condition. It has been started and driven regularly, but only short distances. Anything I should be on the lookout for on a bike that has essentially sat it's whole life? Are parts still available for a bike this old? It sounds like I should plan on doing a HES and in tank fuel line replacement based on age.

Thanks

My concerns would be:

RTP

1. Usually see hard use.

RT

1. Has it suffered from neglect?:

2. You say it has multiple "short distance" trips. How short. Did the motor get fully warmed up? If not, what was the oil change interval.

3. How often was the braking system flushed?

4. Was fuel stored in the gas tank for long periods of time?

The RT is a great bike and I have a '96. Clutch/gearbox work is hard to do compared to "regular" bikes. Routine maintenance is easier, especially valve adjustments.

I bought my 96 R1100RT with 13,000 miles on it fro the first Owner that hardly ever rode. I have 40K on it now and I have not had any major issues, just routine maintenance. I have checked/adjusted the valve clearances, synced the carbs, changed the Alt belt, lubed the starter and changed tires. They wear on the left sides mostly. I have run Michelins and am now on the Pilot 3 dual compound and really like them.

I recommend the 96 R1100RT. Call anytime if you have questions or you are riding down thru SC on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I will join you for a few miles.

Capt'n

• 2 weeks later...
Lighthiker90

Thanks for all your help. The gent with the 96 1100RT won't let go emotionally and feels its worth about $2K more that it should be. It is now between two RTP models. A 2002 with 30K miles and a 2006 with 52K miles. Same price. History on both is unknown.

Pass on the '02.

If the '06 doesn't float your boat keep looking.

A lot of bikes out there...

First year of the servo brakes (the system was refined over the next few years)and a motor that was prone to surging.

And, not much $$$ dif for a twin sparker.

I'd go 1100 before '02.

As always, YMMV.

Galactic Greyhound
I have run a 1996 1100RS for seven years. Here in the UK it is easy to get parts for this bike (easier and cheaper in fact than for my 2011 Honda Deauville). The main thing with these earlier oilheads (pre 1997) is the transmission. Yours, like mine, will probably have the M94 gearbox. These can have issues such as "skipping" in second or third gear and selector wear. On the other hand mine is still ok (touch wood), though I would advise using Redline Heavyweight Shockproof oil. Many gearboxes were replaced under warranty; the trouble with low mileage bikes is that they won't have done enough miles for the problems to have become apparent under warranty.

If the bike has had little use I wouldn't worry about the HES, at least as a priority. The wiring degrades through use and exposure to moisture more than age per se; I have just replaced mine as a precaution and I have to say that the wiring on mine was excellent because, like the one you are looking at, it has led a good life and has never seen winter use.

I had to replace the head gaskets on mine too, another common issue on the earlier oilheads. As with the gearboxes, it took BMW a few goes to get it right, but the latest design is fine.

The later 1150s are not without their problems either eg stick coil failure and the FD bearings seem to wear out more quickly. I would choose on condition rather than model. The 1100 is a tough old beast on which there isn't anything that cannot be sorted with the help of folks on forums such as this.

Just my opinion, but I'd happily go for the low mileage 1100 over the police-spec 1150, assuming the price is right.

+1 - Spot on - the R1100 IS a 'tough old beast' indeed - best of the Oilheads in my opinion.

Archived