IGNORED

Who Else is Itching to Get Back on the Road This Spring?

Mike

I have "cabin fever" so bad I can't stand it no mo. Bob's got flowers and all I got was a lousy blizzard yesterday and sub 0 tempts. Riding weather can't get here fast enough. By that I mean temps. above freezing and clear roads. Grrr. :(

I have been riding all winter but I am itching to ride properly.

Straights, hosing down the bike to get rid of salt... plus I have a Honda downstairs which hasn't turned a wheel since October.

Oh and the weather forecast says snow starting on Thursday.

I lived through 4 winters in Ann Arbor, which is one reason I now live in Georgia. I recently made a reservation on a cabin in Skagway; the owner spends her winters teaching in Kotzebue. Now, that is one tough place in the winter — the darkness alone would have me curled up into a fetal ball.

Kotzebue Temperature Jan Feb Mar

Avg. Temperature -1.0 -4.8 0.4

Avg. Max Temperature 5.6 2.3 8.7

Avg. Min Temperature -7.5 -12.0 -8.0

Joe Frickin' Friday
I lived through 4 winters in Ann Arbor, which is one reason I now live in Georgia.

I'm wrapping up my 14th winter here. Frankly as winters go, they're not bad. I did my undergrad in Fargo, North Dakota; winters were much longer and colder there, with long stretches where the temp didn't get above 0F. Friends from rural farming communities would sometimes cancel plans to go home for the weekend when it got stupid-cold, because if you slid off of a remote country road, there was a good chance of freezing to death before being found (this was before cell phones became common).

Having said that, yes, I'm looking forward to spring here. Daytime highs right now are only around 30, and there's tons of salt and sand on the road. That stuff all has to go away before I'll wake up the RT. Probably another month or so...

:lurk:

Looking forward to my first away from home ride on the scooter. That should be Hel-en back. I did manage some riding about once a week, so I don't forget how it's done.

Salt and sand are (or were) major issues for cars. But hardly worth sweating about on a bike - many differences in construction, materials, hidden parts, up-close-and-personal maintenance, tire spray patterns, etc.

I speak from 50 winters experience.

Ben

I read these comments about putting the bike to bed for winter and it is hard to comprehend. I am living in an alternate reality of winters so mild that I don't even experience a light frost on winter mornings. I can ride 365 days per year if I want. Mild climate and good riding conditions (Sydney Australia). Not bragging though, it just is what it is...different.

I got the itch BAD too. Its been teasing here every now and again... like a few days ago it was 40 (actually saw a GSA on the highway) but my street still had 3 inches of ice. Then the day after that warm one, I had to run the snow blower. Ugh. Now it is 10F and just got done clearing the berm of snow the city plow left at the end of the driveway.

I spend the next 5 weeks on the road for work, and when I return my (new to me) '04 RT will be waiting in my garage. Remember being a kid and counting the days until Christmas? Yep, that's me.

It's been 'winter' for 2.5 years for me. Only six more months until uncle sugar sends me to Germany. Then, I imagine, I'll be in for a treat. Looking at either a Sertao or a 800GS. We'll see after the test ride. Until then, I'm living vicariously through this and other boards.

I have been very lucky this year. Here in southern Virginia I ve had at least one day per week in the upper 50's. The only week that was a wash out was the 21st - 26th of Jan, and i was in the Caribean on vacation.

Was off work for the holiday yesterday so I took a little 150 mile round trip to visit my old High School. Snow on tbe ground, but all the roads were clear and dry. Got to watch a little of the first day of baseball tryouts. 31 years just seemed to melt away.

I ve tried to post a pic but i am getting a message that tells me i can t upload a jpeg file.

I haven't ridden since UN-X. Final drive failed on the way home, by the time it was fixed it was winter. I had the cornea transplant in early spring and now I can see again and will be on the road as soon as it warms up. I guess I will have to take it easy and get my skills back up to snuff. Major service and good inspection of the bike and I will be ready to go. Spring will not come fast enough.

I read these comments about putting the bike to bed for winter and it is hard to comprehend. I am living in an alternate reality of winters so mild that I don't even experience a light frost on winter mornings. I can ride 365 days per year if I want. Mild climate and good riding conditions (Sydney Australia). Not bragging though, it just is what it is...different.

Sure, rub it in!!!

Winter has made a come-back here in L'Étoile du Nord. (Mitch, I wish the weather/roads would be good enough in a month.) :cry:

I am looking forward to picking up a new (to me) 2001 baby GS and riding it to HeleN Back! Well, not back to where I'm picking it up. Maybe back home, if the weather cooperates.

I'm headed to Spokane in the pickup tomorrow. whoopee doo.

Actually, I've been suffering miserably with this urge to sell the house, quit the job, and take the VW Camper to Patagonia and back...

Hmmmm, I might have to get a copy of Spanish for Dummies tho....

I rode the bike to work this morning... And then all I heard all day was that it was going to snow tonight. Well, Colorado weather went rogue and it was warmer at 9:45 (when I got out of my last class for the day) than when I dropped the bike off at home. Albeit, when I say, "Warmer", I mean it was 30 degrees as opposed to 27... Still rideable. DAMN YOU COLORADO AND YOUR SCHIZOPHRENIC WEATHER PATTERNS!!!

For me in North Carolina the subject line should read "Who Else is itching to Get Back on the Road This Week." Seems like all the good days are in the middle of the week. What little snow we've had is off the roads by the next day but is often replaced by cold rain and high winds. Still, I think the longest I've been off the bike this Winter without sneaking in a half day ride was two weeks.

Amazing how perky and responsive the bike is when you first get back on it after some time off.

----

Still riding, coldest ride to work so far this year was 19*, coldest relaxing ride started in the mid-20s, the only thing that stops me is icy conditions. ;)

Azaleas are blooming along with a myriad number of other flora.

Lowest temps only in 20's.

Early spring blooms mean a prolonged season of colors.

:clap:

Tourism surveys show that over 10% of all Caneighdians

came to Florida last year.

Wonder why?

:rofl:

Mean, just plain, old mean. I got my V-Strom out a couple of weeks ago on a good day. I am anal and will not take my RT out when the roads are covered in salt dust. We have been having weekly nuisance snows,just enough to keep the roads dirty. I did get my KTM out twice last weekend, getting ready for the upcoming racing season.

Azaleas are blooming along with a myriad number of other flora.

Lowest temps only in 20's.

Early spring blooms mean a prolonged season of colors.

:clap:

Tourism surveys show that over 10% of all Caneighdians

came to Florida last year.

Wonder why?

:rofl:

On saturday the wife and I went on a 180 mile ride through California's Gold Country, it was 70 degrees all day. This morning I hear they got 4 inches of snow. Fortunate for me, I live closer to the valley and was still able to ride to work today, cold but no ice.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Never stopped riding. There have been some cold mornings and a day or two of light rain but I'd say I'm coming up on 1500 miles since January 1.

Of course, it has been unusually dry this winter. I keep expecting a storm to blow in and stay until April.

Me... I'm itchin' to get back on the road but not because of the weather...

I fractured my wrist in 2 places on Sunday when lost control of my dirt bike in a mud rut. Tried to exit the rut, didn't come out of it aggressively enough and the rear wheel caught the edge. Nanoseconds later the handlebars are having a discussion with some trees. The trees won and the wrist took a beating.

Doc says he can put in a screw, 2 pins and I should be ready to ride in about 10 weeks..... Dang it.... 10 weeks?? What's the alternative doc?

A cast....... for 20 weeks.....

:cry:

None of the above is as bad as having to listen to wife;

"when are you going to grow up"? You're 56 years old....isn't it enough you have those other bikes you ride on the street? Why do you have to go running around in the woods and risk.... blah blah...... LA LA LA I can't hear you.......

Laborare pugnare paratus sum

Just saw your signature line.... Awesome.

I hope, when the day comes where your CIC gives you the order to seize the weapons from the citizenry, you remember what you swore to protect....

If not, Molon Labe....

I rode steady until the middle of December then the snows started, after that i got one or 2 goods days in Jan and Feb. After the blizzard on the 9th the roads just haven't been the same, so i decided now was the time to park it and do some maintenance. Flush the brake system, new rear tire, and order new shocks. And probably other stuff too while i have the tupperware off.

I fractured my wrist in 2 places on Sunday when lost control of my dirt bike in a mud rut. Tried to exit the rut, didn't come out of it aggressively enough and the rear wheel caught the edge. Nanoseconds later the handlebars are having a discussion with some trees. The trees won and the wrist took a beating.

Doc says he can put in a screw, 2 pins and I should be ready to ride in about 10 weeks..... Dang it.... 10 weeks?? What's the alternative doc?

"when are you going to grow up"? You're 56 years old....isn't it enough you have those other bikes you ride on the street? Why do you have to go running around in the woods and risk.... blah blah...... LA LA LA I can't hear you.......

Dude, sux.

Do what'll "fix" it.

I've taken the less intrusive approach a few times and still have too many places that are broken.

:dopeslap:

Good luck.

I had a double wrist fracture that got fixed with a titanium plate and a bunch of screws. Had my first ride (unauthorized) 4 weeks later. Yeah, don't tell me.

A recent Aerostich ad stated it well: PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

Am considering riding to Florida from NW Ohio and going to see a spring training baseball game or two and maybe go observe the spectacle at Bike Week. Did this last year in the first week of March and enjoyed it. Trying to maintain flexibility on which week to go because who knows what the weather will bring. Lived up here all my life and winters are getting more and more annoying now that I ride.

So, would it be mean to point out I wore my warm weather jacket today on a craft beer retrieval run to Tampa in 83F? Sadly, there is a high chance of rain and thunderstorms the next two days before it drops to a bone chilling 70F on Thursday. (Hey, you can laugh while I sweat May-Oct, I'm enjoying this weather!)

Holy guacamole, Larry! You are not having a good year on two wheels. But at least you have learned how to "listen" to the missus. Maybe you shoulda taught me that one. :grin:

Peter Parts

At the gym yesterday (which is kind of boring after all), I was day-dreaming about making a video or slide-show about strength and stretching exercises that get you in shape for the biking season... and keep you in shape.

I think if you can't turn around to look 180-degrees behind, you should turn in your license (or get a handicap plate for your bike).

Ben

Paul Mihalka

"I think if you can't turn around to look 180-degrees behind, you should turn in your license (or get a handicap plate for your bike)"

That's a bit sharp, and a handicap plate doesn't fix anything. Handicapped people usually find a good way to work around it. For seeing what's in your blind spot, the little stick-on wide angle mirrors or a second set of mirrors solves the problem.

Peter Parts
"I think if you can't turn around to look 180-degrees behind, you should turn in your license (or get a handicap plate for your bike)"

That's a bit sharp, and a handicap plate doesn't fix anything. Handicapped people usually find a good way to work around it. For seeing what's in your blind spot, the little stick-on wide angle mirrors or a second set of mirrors solves the problem.

A person should be fit to drive, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. Otherwise, all of us (meaning me as well) are putting our own interests ahead of the safety of others.

You may not like the sound of that but I think it is a simple truth.

That's no less true for the first ride in the spring, but can't be completely avoided. That's why I think exercising is important for bikers, esp in the winter.

On the other hand, we all go riding when we are temporarily or chronically unfit (physically or emotionally) and on a good day, no problem. That's human. Add it to the long list of things about the world that are less than perfect but deserve some attention.

Driving among the elderly in Florida, I am learning just how self-centered drivers can be. As far as I can tell, Paul is an example of the opposite kind of person judging from his voluntary change to a milder steed recently.

For a lot of good reasons, enlightened societies give people with disabilities "a pass" on some of the driving fitness requirements. If a person is not completely fit to drive, maybe they are entitled to ask their DOT for a pass. On a good day, maybe the DOT will think big mirrors are an adequate substitute for not being able to turn and look around at the cars behind and around you. Maybe yes or maybe no. Unable to turn and dependent on mirrors, maybe you are still the best driver for miles around.

Ben

Around here in Florida, people think you get leprosy from using your turn signals.

Getting in shape at the gym for riding can be a hazard! If you are stupid and lift more than you should at your age... I was looking forward to spring riding... but shoulder repair is scheduled in 2 weeks... now looking forward to summer riding!

Physical fitness is an everyday thing, not to prepare for a particular activity at a particular time of year. That said, I think the poster that started this is a wee bit anal retentive and controlling. May be he could get a job working for the brits in their motorcycle licensing division.

Ben,

An yet another POV is that if you haven't been checking your six and sides frequently enough to know without having to turn

around 180 degrees to see if it is safe that one hasn't been riding safely and paying too much attention to what is in front.

If I have to turn 180 degrees to verify when making a swerve/change of lane/full stop or whatever, then I'm taking 100% of my attention from where I want/need to go and putting it 100% on where I've been.

Being in the small percentage of riders who has been run over from behind I try to be aware of the spaces behind and beside me all the time so that if I have to make a change in direction or use negative accleration I already know whats what.

Typically I verify in traffic w/a head turn on lane change

full negative accleration.

But there have been times that if I had had to turn 180

I'd be deader that dead.

YMMV

At the gym yesterday (which is kind of boring after all), I was day-dreaming about making a video or slide-show about strength and stretching exercises that get you in shape for the biking season... and keep you in shape.

I think if you can't turn around to look 180-degrees behind, you should turn in your license (or get a handicap plate for your bike).

Ben

Hmmm .. Does "side saddle" count?

I keep my head on a swivel, particular in the land of Chaos-Kalifonia. But I've looked back over my shoulder before while accelerating and merging onto an on ramp, only to find myself accelerating at 60 mph towards the suddenly stationary rear of a big rig truck. (Yes, BMW brakes are very, very effective.)

First rule I taught my kids about both motorcycle ridding and automobile driving, is "... don't forget the first priority. When in doubt, when confused, when you're just trying to make sense of a situation, LOOK FRONT (and slow down) ...."

I second the notion that good situational awareness and mirrors beats the 180 degree gymnastics turns - every time.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

I have been riding to work in starts and stops, i.e. week or two on, week or two off; obviously, there's no snow in San Diego and infrequent rain, so I'm not weather impacted much here. Have felt a bit guilty because I just haven't been riding too much, and will regret it when I have to hit the road out of state soon for a new business contract. It's been cold at night, not zero degrees F, but our 30F to 40F weather near the coast riding 55-65 mph sure feels like 0F, at times.

But I have warm gear so the cold is manageable. The main thing is that (1) it takes me 15 minutes to ATGATT-up, and 15 minutes to gear down, for a 30 minute ride covering 12 miles in which I sit at 15 stop lights en route (my city hasn't yet learned about the fine art traffic engineering and sync'ing stoplights). It just kind of takes the joy out of riding. Who would have thought these bikes only get 35mph (start/stop start/stop)? I have every light memorized, 8 seconds from the time the last oncoming car passes the intersection and bang.. green light. I've developed 15 different ways to accelerate from a stop light, a.k.a. Walter Mitty! There's the "drag bike", the "EZ Rider", the "Old Codger-cruiser", the "Official LEO motor..", or "can-I-stop-at-this-light without-putting-my-foot-down-this-time" game - omg it gets boring. :rofl:

However, once in a while, I take the "long way" and slab it on the local highways. :thumbsup: Well, that's still about 5 stoplights, but I can hit 80mph if the CHP isn't watching too closely, which reminds me that my RT isn't a motorscooter, it's a big, all-grown-up M-O-T-O-R-A-D!

Best days are when I forget about the commute time and take my third route, just head down to the coast, ride the coast highway - yeah, there are lots of stop lights there too, but I get to see the Pacific Ocean, breath the salt air, relax; best 45 minutes of the day. Probably will do that today.

I hope spring hits early for all you snowbound folks out there. Happy Spring riding soon!

Scott

Yes. The PMS is bad! Having maps up and pushpins in helps a bit (on the board, not in me). Of course the two new puppies are keeping us busy. They should be old enough by Spring for us to leave them a bit longer than now.

Peter Parts

Short note to complain about the flak I'm getting for some really stupid things I never said. Like, riding facing backwards, over-doing weights, exercising only the day before your first spring ride, not using mirrors....

What I did say was fitness matters on an ongoing basis and includes STRETCHES.

Not sure if I said this clearly enough: if you are not fit to drive, you should sell your bike.... or have a neutral third party agree you are a good enough driver despite your infirmities. Life isn't fair, esp when other people's safety is involved. And I say this as I am going to be forced to end my 52-year biking life.... tooooo soon.

Good thing I didn't dare suggest having a waist under 40 inches was smart too.

Ben

Paul In Australia
Short note to complain about the flak I'm getting for some really stupid things I never said. Like, riding facing backwards, over-doing weights, exercising only the day before your first spring ride, not using mirrors....

Not sure if I said this clearly enough: if you are not fit to drive, you should sell your bike.... or have a neutral third party agree you are a good enough driver despite your infirmities. Life isn't fair, esp when other people's safety is involved. And I say this as I am going to be forced to end my 52-year biking life.... tooooo soon.

Ben

you made it clear enough.. just others don't agree with your definition of "fit to ride".

I for one , would prefer to leave that up to a professionally qualified medico. There are various degrees of fitness. Respectfully suggest we leave those decisions to the ones qualified to make them.

best regards

Peter Parts

Ben

you made it clear enough.. just others don't agree with your definition of "fit to ride".

I for one , would prefer to leave that up to a professionally qualified medico. There are various degrees of fitness. Respectfully suggest we leave those decisions to the ones qualified to make them.

best regards

Clearly the fault is mine for not putting the words, NEUTRAL THIRD PARTY in caps.

Ben

Paul In Australia

Ben

best regards

Clearly the fault is mine for not putting the words, NEUTRAL THIRD PARTY in caps so no one could miss it.

Ben

Hi Ben

The statement I was referring to was..."I think if you can't turn around to look 180-degrees behind, you should turn in your license (or get a handicap plate for your bike)."

Lots of people capable of safe riding who can't do that. So don't be surprised if some people don't agree with your "opinion".

Have a relaxing day

best regards

Paul

Ben, I don't want to beat up on you too badly, but if I could turn my head to get a view 180 behind me I'd be a 1st cousin to an owl! I think I can get my chin to just about line up with my shoulders. My peripheral vision isn't adequate with transition lenses. I think Paul said it best. Use good mirrors! I do agree about getting physically fit. My winter hibernation hasn't been kind to the old body. I didn't burn any winter weight. :)

Archived