IGNORED

2006 R1200GS, Poss. Buy

scottnew

There's a chance I may be getting a R1200GS. Was wondering if there are any tell tale 'Run' from this bike signs to look out for. Miles are at 18k, and unlimited warranty runs through 2015. Bike is amazingly beautiful in the pictures. Not to informed on the GS models and just thought I better ask before I mess up.. Hope this wasn't a bad year or anything.. Thanks for any advice in advance ..

No idea what year but you have almost 3 years of wty remaining so why worry? There are no "bad" years, I've had them all. The newer, the better is always true.

I'll add that 18k is nothing for a BMW.

Thank you both for the info. As title says its a 2006 model.

Had to ask if there was anything major to watch out for, and this is the high all mighty place for good BMW advice.

True with the remaining warranty, but it would be my luck that 2006 was some sort of problem year adn that no warranty would help the basket case I was about to get. As far as price goes, the buyer is asking 11k for it but it has 4-5k in fixer-uppers :) Many of which I would have added myself. It has been painted to a great looking grey, buyer felt it matched better than the yellow original - pro. paint job.

As for price- I would actually not be paying outright, would be a trade deal. And although I have more in my trade (2004 Full Size Truck), it is paid for and books out at between 11.5k-13.5k and I feel it falls right into the mid range of that. Miles are only at 86k and it is mechanically good to go. 7 out of ten or so on the cosmetics.. So.. Just gotta see where it goes from here. Will inform of the turnout :)

To back up what Tewks is saying about the price. I paid under $8k for my '06 GS with 20k miles on it. It came with all 3 BMW Vario bags and an extra set of wheels and tires. That was almost TWO YEARS ago.

I got a hell of a deal, but I have seen plenty of similar ones since. I wouldn't overpay for a bike that is goig to depreciate even farther once these new water cooled bikes hit the market.

Well thanks for the help fellas. It sounds like I'm best topass this one up- worked out well because the seller and I mutually decided to hold off. I will continue me search for a GS in the future. I was really not trying to find one at the moment, just that my eyes are always open. I'm more in debt paying off mode. I'm on a plan that will have me totally debt free in two years :) Then, I can give it one more year and hoefully walk into the dealership and pick out my favorite color GS and write them a check, never looking back.. Cannot wait for that wonderful day to get here..

Archived