IGNORED

2007 RT Sidestand switch issues

RoSPA_man

Hi all

I replaced the side-stand switch twice recently with "previously cherished" switches. I now have an interesting oddity.

If the bike is in 1st gear with side stand down, it won't start (correct).

If I hold the clutch in and retract the stand, it still won't start (incorrect). But if I then simply turn off the ignition and turn it on again, the bike starts no problem. In summary, it no longer seems to recognize "in real time" that the side stand has been retracted - it needs a "reboot" with the ignition key.

Is there any way to correct this little oddity?

You're sure it's the sidestand switch and not the clutch switch? With the bike in gear, both switches have to be correct to start.

Hi

Thanks

Yes, I suppose that it could be either of them, but even if it is the clutch switch, the question still remains, i.e. that the starting behaviour does not see changes in switches in "real-time".

Morning Hugh

The side stand switch on the hexhead is a strange affair as it uses a (3rd wire back-up) discrete circuit to verify up & down position. Both the clutch switch & side stand switch report directly to the BMS-K & the computer determines usage of the inputs.

I don't have a pre 2008 RT here to verify if what you have is normal or not. (hopefully someone with a 2006/2007 1200RT can check their side stand operation to see if it mirrors yours).

In any case you should do a quick test to see if the bike will re-start if you stall it in gear. Put bike in gear with engine running, then purposely stall the engine (don't shut it off, just use the clutch to stall it). Now just pull the clutch lever in & try a re-start. See if it will re-start without turning the key off then back on.

Morning Hugh

The side stand switch on the hexhead is a strange affair as it uses a (3rd wire back-up) discrete circuit to verify up & down position. Both the clutch switch & side stand switch report directly to the BMS-K & the computer determines usage of the inputs.

I don't have a pre 2008 RT here to verify if what you have is normal or not. (hopefully someone with a 2006/2007 1200RT can check their side stand operation to see if it mirrors yours).

In any case you should do a quick test to see if the bike will re-start if you stall it in gear. Put bike in gear with engine running, then purposely stall the engine (don't shut it off, just use the clutch to stall it). Now just pull the clutch lever in & try a re-start. See if it will re-start without turning the key off then back on.

Hi Dirt Rider - been off the air for some time - lying in hospital mostly over Christmas/New Year- not bike-related - just an inbound bacterial infection into my lung that got nasty!

Anyway, all well again and I just tested your idea and yes, and it does restart after a stall like you suggested (I didn't use the side-stand or ignition key at all). I'm still not sure what can be deduced from that, but no doubt you will!

BTW, I'm as certain as I can be that this is a new oddity because, like everyone else, I have, over the years, tried to move away with side-stand down. And I know that the bike would always start as I kicked the side stand back. I never used to have to do this ignition stage in the past.

Afternoon Hugh

I'm trying to remember if what you are getting is (they all do that).

My vague memory is that what you are seeing is normal on the pre 2008 hexheads. I remember there was a quirk in how they reacted if the side stand & clutch was not sequenced correctly but for the life of me I can't remember the details.

I wish I had a pre 2008 handy to check it out.

I am hoping that someone with a like bike to yours can run a quick test to see if theirs is the same as yours.

Afternoon Hugh

I'm trying to remember if what you are getting is (they all do that).

My vague memory is that what you are seeing is normal on the pre 2008 hexheads. I remember there was a quirk in how they reacted if the side stand & clutch was not sequenced correctly but for the life of me I can't remember the details.

Equally vague memory here also, but I think that the clutch lever has to be pulled AFTER the ignition is switched on, otherwise the starter will not work. Or maybe its the other way around...

My 2005 does some quirky things, but never had paid a lot of attention to it.

Twice I had to turn the ignition off to get it to re-start after an engine kill from leaving the side stand down.

I have a similar situation and it is caused by a sluggish clutch switch. I discovered that with my GS-911. It is intermittent and cleaning it with contact cleaner will help for a while. It is getting worse and I have a new replacement switch ready when I get some time.

I have a similar situation and it is caused by a sluggish clutch switch. I discovered that with my GS-911. It is intermittent and cleaning it with contact cleaner will help for a while. It is getting worse and I have a new replacement switch ready when I get some time.

OK, thanks. So, it's most likely either the clutch switch or "BMW character" ! I must look up the clutch switch replacement - I assume it's at/near the lever and is easy/cheap/both!

Morning Hugh

If your bike has cruise control you can (maybe) check the clutch switch operation as seen by the computer by running a cruise control functional test while watching the cruise light on the dash.

If your bike ALWAYS acts the same in regard to the clutch lever pull-in vs side stand switch usage then your problem isn't an erratic clutch switch, it is something in how the computer is processing the switch inputs.

Morning Hugh

If your bike has cruise control you can (maybe) check the clutch switch operation as seen by the computer by running a cruise control functional test while watching the cruise light on the dash.

If your bike ALWAYS acts the same in regard to the clutch lever pull-in vs side stand switch usage then your problem isn't an erratic clutch switch, it is something in how the computer is processing the switch inputs.

Hi Dirt Rider

I was coming on here to write exactly what you have written. The clutch switch is fine as it responds in real-time every time- i.e. if I keep the starter button depressed and disengage the clutch, the engine will fire during that disengagement.

You're right - it is something with how the computer is dealing (or nor dealing) with inputs. I will try clearing faults with the 911, but I doubt that will fix anything.

Archived