IGNORED

RT to GSA

1LIFE2LIVE

RT to GSA

I have the opportunity to make this change.

The RT has served me/us extremely well these last 56,000 miles - cross country (6,000 miles) a couple times with no problems other than routine maintenance.

Mrs. rarely rides anymore so her comfort isn't as important as it was, yet she will ride on short rides (less than 200 miles round trip) and have been given the Green light.

I'm looking at a 2012 GSA, have rode one previously and was surprised on just how well it rode, comfort and agility.

What I'm looking for is feedback from GSA owners on your overall real life ownership experiences (Fun Factor, High Speed Stability: over 110mph for extended distances = 20+ miles, agility, etc.) - ride with a very diverse group of bikers but the majority like to ride somewhat fast (100+mph) so it will be important to not only keep up but have the ability to pass when the opportunity arises.

Majority of riding will be 90 miles round trip or substantially more - ride about 15,000 miles a year. Little off road other than the occasional fire road.

Weight is not a issue - almost identical to the RT wet and the height of the GSA isn't an issue either.

Drawbacks & Strengths - what are they? Any Regrets?

The 2012 GS is nice especially the new 2013 water cooled but I'm leaning towards the GSA.

Thanks for any and all feedback,

08RT

so it will be important to not only keep up but have the ability to pass when the opportunity arises.

Ray demonstrating how to embarrass a fast guy. :grin:

CLASS.jpg

Pat

I'm not sure I can help you with what is right for you BUT I am lucky enough to currently own both. If I had just one, it would be the RT; weather protection, "long legs", all day long comfort, big top box when required.

As I haven't owned a car since 2006, the RT fills that function.

However, in the summer I have to say the GSA makes me smile; fresh air, best part of 400 miles from a tank, feels lighter although in fact not a huge difference. Fun.

The trouble is, any advice I can give only relates to me; over a longer time than a test ride, you may end up favouring the GSA more or less.

Greetings

Great responses, a hard choice to be sure. But based on your statement of riding with a group that hits the century mph, I'd advise staying with an RT. The fairing makes a tremendous difference at high speed. Economy, stability and comfort, particularily if one is "hauling ashes" for extended periods. A fellow RT owner I know of solved the problem by keeping his RT and purchaing a Triumph 800.......

Myself I believe in owning multiple motorcycles.

My 2 cents

Have both. Hex head RT and cam head GS.

Love the RT. 58k on it. In the cold or for eating the miles, it's all I need for pavement.

The GS: better in the warm, or if minimally challenging off pavement is in the forecast. I have only around 5 k since I got the GS, and I have had a bit of trouble bonding. The camhead motor is noticeably punchier than my hex head, but hard to compare due to the weight differences in the bikes. The cam head has a much different exhaust note, and just feels like it has more torque. The stock saddle is terrible, as was the RT's when I got it.

The GS turns in so much faster than the RT that I find myself corner correcting for early apexing a bunch. Going from the GS to the RT the RT feels like I need to muscle it around more.

I like them both, but I would get rid of the GS if I could keep only one. Most of the off-road I would take the GS on could be gingerly done with an RT anyhow, generally speaking.

I own both, 2011 RT and 2012 GSA. The GSA is new to the garage last fall and the RT has been Coast-to Coast-to-Coast twice – 29K in less than two years.

The weather protection advantage is becomes obvious below freezing and the RT wins. But the GSA is the bike of choice in the Washington DC summer weather. Cruise control on the RT is wonderful when crossing the Heart Land! GSA handling is way better than the RT, probably due to the monster wide handle bars.

Power is the same @ 110 hp, but the lower gearing of the GSA results in a more aggressive feel off the line. I’ve never tried 110mph for any distance, but I know both bikes can get there – pretty risky living on the Right Coast :)

so it will be important to not only keep up but have the ability to pass when the opportunity arises.

Ray demonstrating how to embarrass a fast guy. :grin:

CLASS.jpg

Pat

Nice, Very COOL

Morning 1LIFE2LIVE

I own both & (IF) I could only own one bike it would be the GSA.

For normal riding, the GS/GSA is a fantastic motorcycle. It is just great for carrying camping gear & lots of extras assuming it comes with good OEM panniers or something like Jessie.

I ride fast so can tell you the GS/GSA will easily cruise along at your required 100+ mph (actually a lot faster if you want). I can also tell you that doing that often on the logical GS or GSA tires will eat them up in a heartbeat. The (high speed) wind beating on the GS is not great either but is just a bit better on the GSA. You can also get larger aftermarket windshields if you want but some (most) of those can cause heavy buffeting at speeds over 100 mph.

The handling & braking on the GS/GSA is plenty good to travel at those speeds but in my opinion if you are riding over a few hundred miles at 90 mph+ you will arrive there tired & wasted.

In warm weather in hot traffic to me the GS/GSA is a bit better & the stock mirrors are better. Now in the rain not so good. Also once you get the windshield set for your height & high speed desires you can't easily move it while riding.

I have quite a few friends that only own a GS or GSA (in the BMW line). Most are slower meander type riders that stop often & are not speed riders. Almost to a person after reasonable part day rides they say they love the GS/GSA & wouldn't own a different bike.

On the other hand those very same riders will sit on my RT & ask lots of questions about the RT after we do a 200 mile high speed trip. Most will mention-- "I think I will get an RT next bike". BUT-- they always seem to buy another GS or GSA next new bike they buy.

For me personally, I would never take my GSA on a 300 mile 90-100 mph non-stop trip if I have an RT in the garage. On the other hand I would never take my RT on a 300 mile trip if there were dirt & sand roads for more than just a few miles on the trip.

My wife also hates the GSA rear pillion seating so she seldom (like never anymore) will ride on the back of the GSA.

I see you live in SE Michigan. When you get a decent day go on over to BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan (Canton) & have them put you on a GS or GSA for a test ride. Early Saturday morning is probably best as the local commuter traffic is lighter then. Just hop on I-275 & let-r-rip for a few exits. You will have your answer.

Archived