IGNORED

A different perspective

Computerbob

First, watch this

Then read this article about how 83% of radiologists tested missed a gorilla on an x-ray.

I have seen the video before and fell for it like most do, but I'd never associated it to why cagers don't see us. I've always heard people say, "Cars just don't see motorcycles because they're so busy looking for other cars." and it made sense, but never thought there was actual scientific proof of it happening.

We tell people to check twice, but would the radiologists have noticed the gorilla when scanning the pictures a second time? Would you have noticed the gorilla if told to watch the video again without ever being told it was in there? Does checking twice actually do anything? Or does remembering to check twice also remind you to look for motorcycles? Which would be similar to if you or the radiologists had been told to look for a gorilla.

Does being a rider automatically add motorcycles to your scan? I think it has for me. I'm a much safer driver in my car now that I ride than I ever was before. I attribute some of that to the extra awareness that you have to have on a bike, but I also know that I notice bikes much more than I ever did before.

Two things. I've seen the gorilla video before, so no surprises there.

As for the x-ray, without reading the article. I see a babies head, with part of a torso & arms.

As for when & where THEY see us, ask Knifemaker. He was witness to those that don't care leaving Daytona in my truck Sat.

Bob,

I think the answer to your question would be complex with lots of variables.

just a few things that comes to mind.

a while back I took a college class "intro to psychology" and the exact same question came up. why car drives hit motorcyclist? and when they do,the answer is always the same, "I did not see it".

The professor's answer was the same what you mentioned.

when the drivers takes a quick glances in the rear view mirror ( in that split second) they expect to see a car - an object about a width of a car.

the brain scans for a yes or no answer on that image. The brain is not looking for a smaller object. it is not looking for a bicycle a pedestrian or a motorcycle because when we drive all we see is cars all around us. But if a few bikes start to show up and passing passing us we will start to look out for them.

selective attention is the answer.

Why do motorcycle riders more cautions driving cars and changing lanes? the same reason why your initial post states "first watch this video" I immediately glanced/scanned the rest of the words your post with out fully reading it and the word "gorilla, radiologist" (and many other words) was among the words present. when i watched the video subconsciously looked for the gorilla without focusing on gorilla or even thinking that there will be a gorilla. the test was skewed.

Checking it twice.

correct again, being a motorcycle rider our selves, we double check and look for not just a car but a possible smaller- motorcycle- being present next to our vehicle. when time allow I do double takes check mirrors and take a quick glance turning my head back. Key word - when time allows.

An other example of selective attention:

at night driving on a long straight road with few cars. a lane change required.

I don't look in the mirrors prior to making the lane change because I clearly recall that there was no head lamp of a vehicle or other light source appearing in my rear view mirrors for a while. Would there be a motorcycle in my cars blind spot all along I would be in trouble.

the variables:

- car designs: some cars have stupidly small mirrors, example older Cadillacs and my BMW 135i.

cars with wide A pillars or door posts ( where the front and rear doors meet) blocking view /creating blind spots.

- age and/or reaction time of the driver.

-laziness - checking only the center rear view mirror.

-distractions.

-poor driving habits.

this list could go on...

So yes, always ride like you are riding an invisible bike and you are transparent to the car drivers. never in blind spot of other drivers.

Archived