IGNORED

2002 1150RT ABS Issue

BarryBeemer

2002 R1150RT

Mileage 55,000

About 6 months ago, the bike began to develop an intermittent problem with the ABS system. It occurs at random times at initial power-up. I am hoping it's not a complete failure of the ABS unit.

I turn the key on and the brake system goes through its usual self-test sequence. Instead of finishing normally, the general warning light remains ON and the ABS warning/brake failure light continues flashing at 4 Hz . Just like the fault table in the manual says, I have only residual braking available.

There is an additional issue when I have the above problem.

If I grab the front brake lever, I don't get the whining sound of the servo. If I depress the rear brake pedal, I DO get the servo whine. When I let up on the lever, the servo whine continues, but the brake is not activated. (I can roll/ride the bike.) I can turn the key off and come back the next day and have it test just fine. Hmmmmm.

Both the wheel and control circuits were flushed 18 months ago. The battery is only a year old. The problem seems to happen whether or not I have had the battery on the tender or not.

I've ridden the bike (carefully) to the nearest dealer and they find no fault code reported. Of course, I cannot duplicate the problem while at the dealer. I ride it for a while, turn the key off and on, and I get the problem again.

There was only one or two occasions, where I have had the issue crop up while actually riding. Of course, it happened in a slow speed turn at an intersection while applying the brakes. I momentarily lost powered braking. Scary!

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

I had a similar issue a year ago. I had intended to do an ABS-ectomy as a cheap option. Shortly afterward, the bike started to get hard to start, so I fitted a new battery. At this point, the ABS faults went away.

You issue may be different - the servo system behaving as it does. it would however, be worth doing a voltage check on the bike before, during and after start-up.

Andy

Thanks, Andy! I have read that a green light on the battery tender doesn't necessarily mean the battery is "perfect". Maybe one cell has gone bad? I'll get the VOM out today.

Morning Barry

Your problem sounds a bit like the front brake switch (or lever) is sticking on (open).

Next tine the problem happens-- turn the engine off, then operate the front brake lever a few times, then manually push the front brake lever away form the bar. Now re-start the engine & see if your problem is gone.

Barry, you mentioned that you bled the brakes 18 month ago. I suggest you do this once a year. It's not that difficult or expensive and could save you a lot of $ for a used ABS unit, once yours has failed.

Dan.

Tried that (referring to dirtrider's suggestion about playing with the front brake lever) and it "cured" it...ONCE. Persuasive, but not conclusive. The right brake lever still turns the brake light on even when I can't hear the servo. Is the front brake switch that turns the brake light on the same switch that activates the servo? Hmmmmm

I had a similar issue a year ago. I had intended to do an ABS-ectomy as a cheap option. Shortly afterward, the bike started to get hard to start, so I fitted a new battery. At this point, the ABS faults went away.

You issue may be different - the servo system behaving as it does. it would however, be worth doing a voltage check on the bike before, during and after start-up.

Andy

VOM voltage check shows 12.0 with key off, 11.5 with key on (and ABS acting up)

"VOM voltage check shows 12.0 with key off, 11.5 with key on (and ABS acting up) "

That seems very low. Resting voltage of your battery should be in the 12.6 to 12.8 range. A resting voltage of 12.0 sounds like the battery is gone.

Morning Barry

OK, if the brake light works (off the front lever) but no servo pump then it could be low internal voltage or an internal problem with the servo pump or pump circuit.

As a rule, battery voltage doesn't factor in on the 1150 I-ABS system as it doesn't do it's self test until after engine start.

Try NOT touching the brake lever until the engine is started & the dash (GEN) light goes out. Once that (GEN) light goes out there should be plenty of battery (system) power to operate the brake servo system. Until the (GEN) light goes out it is only on battery power.

Morning Barry

OK, if the brake light works (off the front lever) but no servo pump then it could be low internal voltage or an internal problem with the servo pump or pump circuit.

As a rule, battery voltage doesn't factor in on the 1150 I-ABS system as it doesn't do it's self test until after engine start.

Try NOT touching the brake lever until the engine is started & the dash (GEN) light goes out. Once that (GEN) light goes out there should be plenty of battery (system) power to operate the brake servo system. Until the (GEN) light goes out it is only on battery power.

Thanks, DR, but I have to differ with you regarding the self-test. I don't think it has anything to do with engine start. The self-test occurs as soon as you turn the key on and lasts a couple of seconds, right? I now show slightly right about 12V with key off, 11.5 with key on, 14.4 after engine start. I'm thinking bad battery or bad plunger on front brake system.

Evening Barry

Yes, it really has nothing to do with the engine starting it just doesn't do the full pump test until after the engine is started & the bike rolls off to about 4kph.

At key on the I-ABS just does a quick electronics test (no servo cycle or valve tests). The ABS dash light flashes quickly during this quick test. If all is OK the ABS light flashes slower until ride off & wheel sensor input is seen.

If the brake is on it skips most of the self tests until the brake is released.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Tried that (referring to dirtrider's suggestion about playing with the front brake lever) and it "cured" it...ONCE. Persuasive, but not conclusive. The right brake lever still turns the brake light on even when I can't hear the servo. Is the front brake switch that turns the brake light on the same switch that activates the servo? Hmmmmm

Also check to make sure the brake pedal returns all the way to the stop. There's a micro switch there as well and it has an audible "click." Both the lever and the pedal micro switch start the servos, and the system will not initiate if either are not in their "idle" position.

Archived