IGNORED

Trans-Florida GS ride

roadscholar

I'm trying this here since it is GS specific and well out of the mainstream for Ride and Event Planning. I can think of a few folks that may be interested.

Two Full days of Florida riding coast to coast and back, 60/40 off pavement not exactly as the crow flies, but plenty of scenery, alot of old Florida, and likely some wildlife (turkeys, possible bears, maybe even a gator). Big bike friendly, although some off road experience is preferred.

Here are more details, and I can answer questions here if you want.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861583

Damn. Meeting conflict. Woulda headed down too.

Well that's no fun, maybe try to reschedule.

This on the other hand will be, you'd like it.

I just got that excited feeling in the pit of my stomach reading this one! I have a friend with a brand new Tiger 800xc sitting at a dealership waiting to be picked up and all I need is tires. I’d love to see Cedar Key and wouldn’t mind doing Daytona again. Sound like a great time, thinking hard! Thanks Bill! :thumbsup:

Pat

This is right up your alley my friend, you're one of the ones I was thinking of when I posted it. With your ability the stock tires on an xc will do fine. Or, (don't have a 21) but I've got a 17 150 TKC you could spoon on the back if you want.

After the initial excitement wore down I started thinking again and realized I will be in Portland ME for my sons hockey tournament on those same dates. :dopeslap:

Pat

I have a DR650 in the garage. With a busted starter. And there's an STRA trials in Ocala on the 9TH.

I'm gonna miss you guys.

That reminds me, we need to have a conversation about that DR

BTW, I'm exploring options, I want in on this. ;)

Pat

Sounds like a plan. If you can get away and your 800 deal doesn't work out, let me know, we can probably find an extra bike somewhere.

A little more current ride from the CADS cadre (last month), and while it's not the same route, some of it overlaps or is similar and will give you an idea what some of the roads are like. Because there's alot of ground to cover each day the sandy bits should be kept to a minimum.

Warning, lots of pics:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544768&page=110

BTW, I'm exploring options, I want in on this. ;)

Pat

Sounds like a plan. If you can get away and your 800 deal doesn't work out, let me know, we can probably find an extra bike somewhere.

More than a gentleman Bill! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the confusion but I'd be on my GS, my buddy Jim has the 800 waiting at the dealer. I do have a preorder in for a set of Karoo 3 tires which looks like a good 60d/40s tire to me. Problem is, March is the release date for them.

So, do I read it correctly that the meeting spot has not been set yet?

Pat

So, do I read it correctly that the meeting spot has not been set yet?

Pat

No, I think we've got it, it'll be near the I-95/Old Dixie Hwy exit. More details should be coming next week.

As far as tires, I wouldn't worry too much, whatever you have will work alright by going down on pressures a little. Or I've got some around here you could use too.

Remember Pat, no problems only solutions, you know you're gonna exhaust all effort to go.

The kid thing I get, hockey not so much.

Be safe

Terry

Not waiting on the Karoo 3s, Heidenau K60 Scouts are being spooned on Friday. Hey, just in case. ;) Keith seemed to have no issues making tracks with them. Dirt or Street! :thumbsup:

Pat

Not waiting on the Karoo 3s, Heidenau K60 Scouts are being spooned on Friday. Hey, just in case. ;) Keith seemed to have no issues making tracks with them. Dirt or Street! :thumbsup:

Pat

FYI.....I just ran the K60 rear tire (and I really like it). I had read too many conflicting reviews on the K60 front. I ran a TKC80 front tire out to Colorado, and have had a Anakee on the front since our return trip. Both did great for what they are designed to do. I'm sure you can easily figure out which one of those was better on the street and which one was better the dirt. :grin:

That's great Pat, look forward to seeing you and your buddy.

Last week I rung up the mayor of Cedar Key (tallman) and got some good advice on eats and notels, but on a recon this weekend we ultimately landed on this place for dinner, it's plenty big enough and has ample parking closeby, rarities in CK.

CK%20Rally%20025-M.jpg

The food's not bad either (fried oysters are killer), yes it's a tough job but somebody has to do it : )

CK%20Rally%20027-M.jpg

A couple (file) photos from the route, could be a bonus location or two in here.

107-M.jpg

098-M.jpg

071-M.jpg

073-M.jpg

056-M.jpg

roadscholar
I have a DR650 in the garage. With a busted starter. And there's an STRA trials in Ocala on the 9TH.

I'm gonna miss you guys.

Yeah, whatever. Hey, here's something for you do do it in, and I can think of a couple others to help out with the driving chores. :grin:

Oscar de mayo

roadscholar

One other thing. For those remotely on the fence there are ride-arounds for all the two-track sections that will stay on maintained dirt roads, just wouldn't receive those bonus points. However, there are other ways to compensate making back those points. It would be quite easy doing it this way, although your bike would get a little dusty. ;)

That looks like prime RT country. Just grab the throttle and give er' hell :grin:

I'm sorry, what are you doing this weekend? :grin:

Hooked and booked, see you Saturday morning! :thumbsup:

Pat

Hope he made it past D.C. I heard they had, like, an inch of snow yesterday. :rofl:

roadscholar

Hope he made it past D.C. I heard they had, like, an inch of snow yesterday. :rofl:

He hit it Tues. nite and Wed., they're in Daytona recuperating. :)

You won't believe me but the main route is RTable, most of it looks like this.

112-M.jpg

Options can look like this in places.

A7-M.jpg

But for the most part look like this.

A15-M.jpg

You guys are going to be sorry. :grin:

He hit it Tues. nite and Wed., they're in Daytona recuperating. :)

The good folks at Daytona BMW TRIUMPH DUCATI well, the service manger Hule saved the day by repairing a defective wheel bearing on my buddies brand new Tiger. :clap:

http://www.hb17.com/home.html

Had a great supper at this place. Looking forward to seeing some unpaved roads!

Ps.. The drive down sucked! :grin:

Pat

That looks like prime RT country. Just grab the throttle and give er' hell :grin:

I'm sorry, what are you doing this weekend? :grin:

Drywall, sanding, painting, and trimming out our 3rd bedroom in anticipation of a permanent guest that is due to arrive the 2nd week of May.

You boys have fun. I doubt you will be seeing much of me this year, but I'll try to sneak South if I get an open window.

Drywall, sanding, painting, and trimming out our 3rd bedroom in anticipation of a permanent guest that is due to arrive the 2nd week of May.

WTH? How did I miss this? Do we know if your guest is a boy or girl yet ? C'mon, inquiring minds want to know....

WTH? How did I miss this? Do we know if your guest is a boy or girl yet ? C'mon, inquiring minds want to know....

It's not a secret, but I haven't really been posting due to not riding very much and being so busy "preparing". Anyway, we are having a girl (no name yet) due on May 10th. One of these days I'll get around to telling the masses :grin:

You won't believe me but the main route is RTable,...

You're right, Bill, I don't believe you. :grin: I gave Pat & his friend a heads up of what your definition of RT friendly is. I offered to have them in Cedar key by lunch. Pat's friend was game. On his Triumph Tiger with all off 180 miles on the clock.

BTW, how long did it take to get everyone across the river?

Oh, & this. I went to a trials at Hard Rock in Ocala. Left for home at 2:45. Ran across a gaggle of your riders at 3:00 in Hawthorne. Six hours to Hawthorne from Ormond Bch? Really? What went wrong?

Danny, nice to see you at the riders meeting! Well the replaced wheel bearing on the Tiger failed big time this morning, no crash but no go. Dave Rogers was nice enough to give up his day and allow me to finish the day by running back for a trailer. Big thanks to him! :thumbsup:

Great time!

Pictures, we have pictures! ;)

Pat

roadscholar

You're right, Bill, I don't believe you. :grin:

BTW, how long did it take to get everyone across the river?

Six hours to Hawthorne from Ormond Bch? Really? What went wrong?

Nothing went wrong, following a roll chart, stopping to help a rider with mechanical problems, and trying to accumulate bonus points was time consuming. Also the first question helps answers the second. The lead group got to the landing as the ferry was halfway to the other side, so it took nearly an hour to return with people going the other way, load bikes up and make the dropoff. A second group arrived just as the first was leaving, so add at least another 45 minutes for them. There may have been a third group, not sure yet. Plus most stopped for lunch in Eureka or Orange Springs at home-style restaurants, add an extra hour there. Then there were the bonus options in the Forest, no details necessary on that front : ) I think Pat and I were maybe the first ones thru Hawthorne at around 1pm, we ate in Micanopy. The goal was to be in Cedar Key by 6pm, I think all were, or pretty close.

As far as RTable, it wasn't. Last time I saw it, a month ago the main route probably was, but not now. Everything was very dry, therefore soft. The big bikes struggled in spots but all made it with no major incidences. And then there were a few cowboys for whom it was the highlight of their day. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see Triumph stepped up for Jim. I'll let you tell the story.

Oh, & we all hope he comes back next time. (and you, too.)

image_zps9896e124.jpg

Long story short, this black Tiger became this green Tiger after having a second wheel bearing failure in only four hundred miles after leaving the showroom floor. The best part was that there was little to no drama involved in fixing this problem from Triumph or Great Bay motorcycles. Triumph asked how can we make you (Jim) happy? A new bike was requested. How about a year newer model and five hundred in farkles Triumph answered, done deal. :thumbsup:

Reruns of our Florida trip can be seen here.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=73972&Number=824063#Post824063

IMG_5777_zps16f28680.jpg

image_zps9896e124.jpg

Pat

roadscholar
Triumph asked how can we make you (Jim) happy? A new bike was requested. How about a year newer model and five hundred in farkles Triumph answered, done deal. :thumbsup:

Pat

:clap: You can't ask for more than that, beyond expectations. You guys did have a lot invested though and Jim's weekend came to an abrupt and frustrating ending.

Glad it all worked out, see you next time. :thumbsup:

Hey Larry, :wave: oh yeah, the GS has been baptized with Florida sugar sand! :grin:

A bunch of pics here.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=73972&Number=824063#Post824063

Hey, where did the V-Strom vid go? I watched it now I can't seem to find it, was most impressed with not hearing a single swear word! :rofl:

Oh, and on the garage, if I buy another bike I''ll be occupying it full-time. :/

Pat

Archived