IGNORED

R1100RT Rear Accessory Socket

CrunchyFrog

My 2000 R1100RT has 2 accessory sockets located under the black side cover on the left hand side of the bike, but only the front socket is connected to the wiring harness. I couldn't find a loose plug to connect to the rear (passenger) socket and the wiring diagrams in my shop manual really didn't show much detail in that area of the bike.

Is there a Y-cable available from OEM or an aftermarket vendor to allow me to power both sockets from the wiring harness, or should I just make a cable that attaches the rear socket directly to the battery (or relay)?

Someone may jump in here and correct me, but I believe the R1100RT only came with a single socket at the rear. The R1150RT had two. You may have a bracket and socket that was adapted from a R1150RT.

At any rate the easiest and least expensive no doubt solution would be to wire it directly from the battery. Fused of course. Relayed if you want it switched.

My '97 RT does have one accessory outlet in the black side cover. As Ken points out that was standard for the 1100 RT. It sounds like it's an aftermarket or later version add on calling out to be wired in.

I've got a dash socket, and love it. I use it to power my GPS and charge my phone and iPod.

The side sockets are rarely used, except when I need to put air in the tires with a mini-compressor. I received an electric vest for Christmas, which prompted the investigation into the dead second socket.

I had originally believed that it was standard equipment, but when I saw nothing for the second outlet to plug into, I began to suspect that it was an add-on from an R1150.

I only had the dash outlet on my '98 R11RT so I added dual accessory outlets to the side. I ordered a BMW kit for this. The kit includes a "y" cable (see attached file) that brings power to both outlets. It sounds like that's what you need. You should be able to order it separately. Sorry I don't know the part number. I ordered mine from BMW of Santa Cruz, but any BMW dealer should have it (or be able to get it for you).

622347-Side_accessory_outlet.jpg.87fadba9ca3f1940597028a10bac0b00.jpg

I only had the dash outlet on my '98 R11RT so I added dual accessory outlets to the side. I ordered a BMW kit for this. The kit includes a "y" cable (see attached file) that brings power to both outlets. It sounds like that's what you need. You should be able to order it separately. Sorry I don't know the part number. I ordered mine from BMW of Santa Cruz, but any BMW dealer should have it (or be able to get it for you).

Thanks! Based on your diagram I think I found what I need. Part #61132316 is a splitter cable for BMW accessory sockets - and it's only about $20.

For other RT owners wanting to add 2 accessory plugs, check out this diagram for the part numbers for socket, plate, and splitters.

Archived