IGNORED

Heated Vest Question

bugsquawsher

bugsquawsher

For Christmas I got a Heated Vest. Wife says she got it at the BMW shop. Its a Widder Lectric-Heat System Two with the heated Neck.

Anyhow, On my way to work this mornin, (~ 1 hour ride) I noticed I found the switch off a couple of times. I didnt' get a Manual with this vest. Is there some sort of Breaker in this switch?

Tom

Tom

I am not sure about your switch. I would think it's defective of it was bumped to "off".

I can recommend that you switch to a thermostat controller. Just going from "off" to "full on" is not the way to use heated clothing.

I went from switch to thermostat with my Aerostich vest and there is no way to describe the diffence in comfort.

Bruce C

I second Bruce's idea on the thermostat. I have one on my vest (the same as yours) and it significantly improves my comfort levels due to its adjustability (the thermostat has a rheostat control). I've had it for a couple of years with no problems and because it has a rheostat there have been no instances where I accidentally turned it off.

Hey guys I just came across your post and happen to have a similar problem. Where would one find a thermostat like the one you are talking about, that is compatible with a bmw vest? Any information would be great.

Mat in Susanville smile.gif

This is where you can go to get what you need, or any dealer that sells Gerbings, and many other places as well.

It's actually a DC current chopper that allows you to run your 12 VDC resistive load at any percentage of full wattage, well any percentage less than or equal to 100%.

They will work with any manufacturer's heated clothing. It's just a matter of getting connectors to match your clothing and bike.

I rarely bother to use mine with my Widder vest since the vest provides so little heat anyways. The vest works perfectly for my half hour commute down to the mid 30's F. Below that, I use my Gerbings. When out riding in cold temperatures all day long, I always use the Gerbings and the Heat Troller to keep myself comfortable.

Suggest you go to www.gerbings.com, get the 800 # and give them a call......I just ordered heated jackets for my wife and I with thermostat controllers by phone and the customer service is very good.....They probably can help.....Or, better yet call Widder in Ojai CA....1-800-992-2653.........

Phil........Redbrick

Yeah, I bet you just bumped the switch to the off position. It happens to me sometimes. Turning it back on it not too difficult and I can perform the feat one-handed now.

Matt

If your new BMW vest is made with carbon thread panels instead of resistance wires, I would check with all the manufacturers mentioned to make sure their thermostat is compatable with it. Also read about all the configurations a thermostat is made in(portable,permanent, semi-permanent dual-control,etc.)

I bought a Heat-Troller from their factory eBay auction.I am very happy with it and their tech support is great.

Bruce C

Me three for the warmnsafe Heat-Troller. Excellent people to work with. might be later technology than some of the others. No affiliation.............but I sure like my jacket liner from them!

All the best,

Mike

bugsquawsher

I think I figured out what was happening yesterday.

When I came to a stop I was resting My left hand on the switch and turning it off.

Today I paid special attention to this and it stayed on the whole way.

As far as needing a thermostat goes. I like the heat. I would just have it Cranked to max the whole time anyhow.

I was thinkin of puttin in a 18 Volt system to punch up the heat some more grin.gif

JK

Thanks for yalls replies

Archived