IGNORED

ST bike question

kgerry

i am in the market for a new ST bike... i have short listed it to the R1200RT or the Triumph Trophy SE.... knowing all of BM's "issues", which would you folks recommend? i am really torn.... this is the first year for the Trophy and the last year for the existing R1200... you know the old adage "never buy the first or last year of any model".... i know most of y'all are BM lovers here, but honestly, any idea which you would rather ride? the triple or the boxer twin?

i have read on this forum so far all about the R1200's mechanical woes... are there lots of electronic issues like i have been reading about on triumph's forum?

this will be my first touring bike purchase, one i will be stuck with for at least a few years... i really hate to make the wrong decision... the closest dealer is over 150 miles away and they sell both BMW & Triumph... the next closest dealer is 500 miles away... scary or a screaming PITA if either bike should have "issues"....

Go ride 'em both. You'll know which is right. Most everybody here likes the BMW. The Trophy is heavier and more powerful than the current RT. The magazines compare the K1600GT to the Trophy, in fact.

Have fun with the search!

in our area they don't "allow" test rides (only place in North America where it is illegal to RENT a motorcycle).... plus both bikes would be a special order... so i basically buy it to try it....

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You might consider taking a trip to do a test ride and, maybe, purchase? Buy a one way ticket or car rental to help you decide!!!!!!!!!

And, I wouldn't be so sure about 2013 being the last year for the camhead RT.

The Camhead issues seem to be mostly "old fashioned" electric woes, most of them centered around the newly designed switches.

So far there aren't many reports of fuel system issues (only a few fuel strips and FPC's, which are carryovers from the Hexhead and the fuel strip has since been replaced by a float) and I personally know of no FD issues with these bikes. There are also a few reports of oil leaks.

Personally I had a Honda which was a lemon from the first day: two stuck thermostats in three years, a a leaking rear shock, fueling issues etc. You can pick the most reliable model in the world but if you are unlucky you'll just get stuck with a Friday afternoon bike. And all manufacturers make those... :grin:

thanks..... when i said last year for the RT i meant it gets a complete makeover in 2014 (from what i've heard) the new engine from the GS, etc... so any improvements that might have been available will be going into the new model (that's why you should never buy the last year of a model).... most people say the 2013 RT is the exact same beast as the 2011/2012... no improvements...

Just food for thought... I subscribe to NHTSA motorcycle recall notices and Triumph is recalling a bunch of bikes because of bad wheel bearings. The their new ST is not listed, but like other recalls if no complaints are received on that particular model, even though it may use the same parts, it won't be recalled.

thanks..... when i said last year for the RT i meant it gets a complete makeover in 2014 (from what i've heard) the new engine from the GS, etc... so any improvements that might have been available will be going into the new model (that's why you should never buy the last year of a model).... most people say the 2013 RT is the exact same beast as the 2011/2012... no improvements...

Now I'm confused. I thought you were not supposed to buy the first year of a new moto. Now with a two year gap I'm worried about BMW's future. :rofl:

I'd advise to be wary of putting too much faith in failure stats taken from a forum where folks post their woes. As discussed somewhere (MOA site?) Problems get magnified with forums due to biased samples. Sure a few folks have troubles but compare to shear volume of units sold.......insignificant. As with cars, technology has allowed for amazing motorcycles irrespective of brand, where made etc. Most important is how you like the unit in question. I'd be with the other poster, take your cash get a plane ticket and ride 'em both, ride the "right one" home.

They're both fantastic machines. Only thing it comes down to is the Triumph is a bit higher-revving and sport-bike like. Either way you'd be happy. The only issue with the Triumph I'd be concerned about is recalls in the early years... Haven't heard anything about the RT changing in the next year though. The only bike getting the new waterhead is going to be the regular GS, and any potential changes will be based on how well the new Boxer sells.

i'm sure they are both great bikes... the triumph i think right now is dealing with some first year electrical demons...

sounds silly, but it may come down to color as much as anything for me.... (i don't like their blue.. too bright, too much of it) i find the silver of the Triumph somewhat appealing, i've had all silver cars before....although it does look a touch bland and monochromatic.... but i must say i really, really like the Midnight Blue two tone scheme of the R1200....

Archived