IGNORED

RT-P radiobox in rear seat conversion

BMDoubleYou

Hello Everybody!

I am as Newbie as Newbie can get. Got myself a 2000 R1100RT-P a week ago. Unfortunately, it came without a manual and I have many questions that probably would get answered in the manual.

If somebody happens to have a manual for the R1100RT online somewhere, please let me know. I do not need a manual for the "police switches", already figured those out.

I already found a lot of interesting information on this wonderful website.

However, since a couple of hours I am searching for the complete list of all the parts needed to "convert" the radio box into the rear seat (wife and kids would like to join me in the future, but not all at the same time wink.gif).

Before somebody tells me: "Go and visit:

https://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/dualseats.pdf"

I already tried that, but that site does not come up anymore. If somebody happens to have the complete list with the part numbers, please let me know where I can find it.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

PS: I don't mind getting the information in German or English and am more than happy to translate the info for anybody else who can use it.

Before somebody tells me: "Go and visit:

https://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/dualseats.pdf"

I already tried that, but that site does not come up anymore.

Yeah, it still comes up. Enter this into an Internet Explorer browser:

https://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/DualSeatPts.pdf

If you're still having problems, it's your browser's settings. Temporarily set security to low, enable cookies or some such manuever, and it should work fine for you. The "Technical Information" section at https://www.bmwmc.net contains alot of cool essentials for the new RTP owner. Check it out.

Good luck!

GearedForACure

I saw this parts list the other day and wondered...can I just waltz into my local bmw dealer and ask them to order these items for me?

GearedForACure
I believe you can, but I was told it would be around US$ 1,500

That really sucks. I thought that I had seen some dealers (A&S for one) offering this conversion for like $500. Maybe that is only when you buy the bike from them.

I like the look of the radio box, and it is a great storage place for permanent accessories that you dont want hanging on your handlebars, but it would be nice to be able to bring the wife along with.

• 7 months later...

Hi Fellow Riders!

On Thursday at 5:00 p.m. I got the last parts for the conversion from radiobox to second seat. After dinner, bringing the kids to bed I thought of just checking the parts out and start a little bit with removing the radiobox. Well, by 10:00 p.m. I already started putting the motorcycle together. A few more minutes on Friday and everything was done.

For some of you Pros, it will sound funny, that I needed so long, but for me - first timer and always happy when I do not need to check into the emergency room when taking tools in my hands - it is a statement for everybody who is thinking about converting an RT-P into an RT: Do it! It is easy and no problem at all.

By the way, my son (9 years) is now totally into motorcycles. Tomorrow morning I have to bring him to school on the motorcycle. I guess, there is a girl he wants to impress with his helmet and stuff wink.gif

Thanks a million to everybody who helped me with information.

Cheers,

Michael.

By the way the parts were much less than $1500.00.

I did a bit of research and got some parts (the most expensive parts) used for a fraction of the new parts.

After all my motorcycle is not new but used. So, I thought the used parts work best with a used motorcycle.

In case you wonder how much I spend on all the parts: less than $500 with shipping, handling, taxes etc. included.

Cheers,

Michael.

Congratulations on the conversion. thumbsup.gif

I did a similar project with a K1100LT ex police (Australian) to a full dual touring setup a while back. I know the pleasure of not just being able to look at the finsihed product but also then being able to take someone you care about for their first ride on the converted bike. It's tops! clap.gif

Since completing that project I sold the K11 and bought my R1150RT.

Nice! I was under the impression it was a lot more work.

Thank you for posting back with the *right* cost...that way I won't scare anyone else trying the conversion! Now you've got me thinking about it. I was planning on selling this and buying something else w/ two seats, but now I have to think about it.

Hi Ed!

I totally agree. Being the only one riding a motorcycle in the family, I suddenly become the "driver" for the rest of the family. When I went to purchase a helmet for my son, the sales person told me, he missed out on the time with his son when he was younger, because he was to busy to do stuff alone. Now he feels like he lost contact to his son.

The best thing is, I can sell my wife riding a motorcycle now as bonding time. smile.gif

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi Woodie,

if you need help where to get the parts, the steps needed to convert the motorcycle etc., feel free to contact me.

It is much easier than you think.

Just have some metric tools on hand. smile.gif

Cheers,

Michael.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived