IGNORED

Sleep with the bike

Scribner

The comment was this - "Having the bike's cooling engine warming the tent could be pleasant. "

Meaning that as the bike cools down after running, that heat would be tranferred to the air in the tent, and that could be pleasant. They weren't recommending running the bike while in the tent to produce heat.

What I find really funny about the advert is that this tent "keeps you and your bike safe from the elements" after riding your GS all day through everything mother nature can throw at you not to mention every imaginable type of terrain that the earth provides. :rofl: I wonder if it comes with an optional tin foil hat as well just in case, you know, that nuclear thing.

What I find really funny about the advert is that this tent "keeps you and your bike safe from the elements" after riding your GS all day through everything mother nature can throw at you not to mention every imaginable type of terrain that the earth provides. :rofl: I wonder if it comes with an optional tin foil hat as well just in case, you know, that nuclear thing.

Yeah, but I mean dirt and mud, sand and river water, and muck from the forrest floor are one thing - do you really want DEW on your bike in the morning?

Seriously though, I looked at one of the early models at a rally a few years ago - it was a nice tent, and if you needed to do some maintenance on your bike in the middle of nowhere I suppose that would be cool, and it WOULD keep your bike out of sight at night so as to be less tempting to roaming ne'er-do=wells. On the other hand, when packed, for a tent, it's really big - larger than my four season 2+ man Walrus and much, MUCH larger than my usual bike touring tent which is a screened tarp tent (which packs into something the size of a kid's football - including extra stakes and groundcloth).

I got one in Bloomsburg a couple of years ago at the national rally. I love the space. I've been an ultralight backpacker for years & travel with really light, really small gear on my back. Usually I'd use a Hennessey Hammock for my "tent" but with the bike, I really like the extra room. I don't use the garage for my bike - but it is a great place to plop down the chair and stay in the shade or out of the rain. It is a big bag in terms of packing but I don't pack a ton of other stuff so it's not too bad (no pillion so it straps across the seat). Once I'm at the campsite I'm really glad for its size. I have the ubiquitous Kermit and I use a camp cot (LuxuryLite) for ground sleeping so it's nice having the room for sitting or sleeping vs. my backpacking gear. It does fit 2 people really well too. All the doors are good to allow the front vs. back person to enter & exit without climbing over the other person. I'm 5'9" and can stand without hitting the tent (it's got a 6' inner tent height). Rainy days & wicked hot days the porch/garage is the place to be :)

If you're travelling solo in the summer I really recommend the Hennessey though. Never sleep better than when I'm in the hammock. Not good for cool/cold weather due to the cold air underneath but really nice in the warmer weather.

I'm not interested because I don't want to (try to) sleep with

gasoline fumes

motor oil fumes

gear oil fumes

brake fluid fumes

road kill fumes

Dave_zoom_zoom
I'm not interested because I don't want to (try to) sleep with

gasoline fumes

motor oil fumes

gear oil fumes

brake fluid fumes

road kill fumes

In small doses, those are the things I enjoy!

Just a different way of life I guess. :)

Dave

Maybe this is overly paranoid, but I would be a bit concerned about getting hurt if the bike ever fell over or was knocked over somehow. That's probably a very remote possibility, but it would make me think twice about sleeping next to a 600 pound vehicle that is not on four wheels.

Caddis, that is the first thing I thought when I seen one of these at the Four Winds rally. High wind or heavy rain could cause a fatal encounter with you bike in the middle of the night.

A simple bike cover is fine!

Maybe this is overly paranoid, but I would be a bit concerned about getting hurt if the bike ever fell over or was knocked over somehow. That's probably a very remote possibility, but it would make me think twice about sleeping next to a 600 pound vehicle that is not on four wheels.

You'd put it on the sidestand leaned away from you of course. Yet more evidence the only time to use a centerstand is in your garage or at a gas station fueling up.

I actually have one and it is probably the best tent I have ever owned for long trips. I have never put the bike inside and the only reason I could ever see for doing that would be if it was raining out and I had to do repair work on the bike. In Coeur d"Alene last year it came in real handy with four people and a big dog inside the garage on lawn chairs out of the rain.

120718_135253-L.jpg

Archived