IGNORED

2003 R1150RT engine sound

profbodryak

So after replacing the tensioner it still has audible knocking which I am just not sure if it is normal or not. Does anyone have a recorded sound of theirs? I would appreciate any advice.

Mine is here (this is yesterday before I added half a quart of oil):

and here (where oil level is normal, approximately a month ago):

What is it? Rails? Valves? Oh btw, it is the same on both sides. And also, have little over 100k miles on it. Valves recently adjusted. Any advice is appreciated!!!

The throttle body butterfly shaft fits into brass bushings on both sides ... yours are worn out. They generally get quieter with higher RPMs. The easy test is just to reach down and put your finger on the pulley where the throttle cables attach to the throttle body ... the noise will stop.

You can rebuild these by replacing the bushings and shaft. Order the rebuild kit from Bing.

I did that trick while replacing the left tensioner but the noise from the throttle bodies only appears at certain frequencies. Meaning that I don't always hear it and what's in the video is distinct from the throttle body noise. If I revved it up it would still be there just at higher frequency. And so initially I thought it was from the throttle bodies but after replacing the tensioner it was ruled out...

Morning profbodryak

The audio in your video is not distinct enough to tell you much. Too many conflicting noises & also that heavy exhaust pulse noise to define the other noises.

It is difficult enough to find & isolate engine noises while leaning over the engine & darn near impossible over the internet.

My suggestions is to get a local "trusted" BMW mechanic to listen to the bike for you.

OR- if you want to go after it yourself buy a mechanics stethoscope the listen to all the areas you can with the stethoscope. Use the stethoscope with the included stinger first to see if you can isolate an area (you will hear lots of strange noises though that stethoscope) then use the stethoscope with the stinger & diaphragm removed (just open hose) to see if you can hone in on the noise you are chasing.

I have seen a few higher mile BMW 1100/1150 boxers with very difficult to find or define internal noises & it usually turns out to be a stretched cam chain, or broken cam chain guide end, or front accessory shaft chain that is worn JUST enough to make noise but not enough to be easily found by looking at it or it's guides or tensioner.

Sometimes you can make or force the engine noises to become more pronounced by running the engine (in place/in neutral) with very thin motor oil or even ATF as that equates to a very hot engine with hot & thinned out normal motor oil.

You might add your appx. location to your profile so we can tell where you live. Maybe an experienced member of the board here would ride by & help you find your noise.

Morning profbodryak

The audio in your video is not distinct enough to tell you much. Too many conflicting noises & also that heavy exhaust pulse noise to define the other noises.

It is difficult enough to find & isolate engine noises while leaning over the engine & darn near impossible over the internet.

.be domain is Belgium. Maybe he's there. My hearing isn't perfect even live but the loudest noise sounded like something that's happening once per combustion cycle. Would one bad lifter sound anything like that?

Mine made a noise like that after I changed out the left side tensioner and would only make the knocking noise when the engine was warm and at idle. When I first heard the knocking noise I thought I had a major problem. It turned out to be to large of an end gap with one of the rocker arms. Once I tightened the rocker arm gaps the noise went away and has never returned.

Pull off the valve cover where it sounds like the noise is coming from. Position the piston at tdc like you would to adjust the valves. Now grab each of the rocker arms and move it up and down. When I did this to mine I was surprised to here just how loud of a knocking noise they made just by my moving them with my hand. Although all my rocker arms were in spec for the end gap, most were on the loose end. I tightened all mine to the tight end of the spec, which made a huge difference on how much knocking noise they made, basically none.

Thanks to everyone for replies! I don't usually let it idle unless it's warming up but in the videos it was idling just to record the sound.

Oops, didn't realize there was no location listed. I am in Washington, DC. I took it to service at EU BMW in Northern Virginia. They have good reviews from what I've read. Unfortunately, I just won't have time to learn servicing the bike myself till this summer because of school. So I am pretty much forced to seek professional help.

My concern is primarily for the chain. When I took it to EU BMW they changed fuel filter, adjusted valves, tightened rocker arm, and changed spark plugs. The only two things I have done myself is changed the tensioner and oil. I will find time after the next round of finals in a week and half to check the rocker arms myself.

But the idea of a loose chain b/c of rail guides is just not letting me sleep.

Yep, rocker arm end play.

I would check if the rocker arms have enough play. Especially since I know that someone has been in there recently...

Dan.

Archived