IGNORED

Anyone a Metal Detector?

Albert

I've thought I might enjoy fooling around with a metal detector from time to time but know nothing about it. I live pretty close to several large parks that seem like they'd be good places to browse around. I always thought it looked kind of fun and it could be combined with the walks I take for a little exercise.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to get started I'd like to hear about it. I'm not looking to find any missing treasure but it always looked like the search would be fun.

I have a friend that was injured in a random shooting around 25 years ago. He went through years of facial reconstructive surgery, and was unable to work for quite a while. He took up metal detecting to help pass the time . He has since been heeled, but still continues with this hobby as he says it is fun and gives him time to reflect while looking.He lost his right eye, and two fingers on his left hand, but is an avid motorcycle rider. He is the one that got me into BMW's. Anyway, he loves to talk about his hobby and treasures that have been found. If you get no response here, I would be happy to give you his Email. By chance are you near North Park? He still detects that area

Dave McReynolds

I have a metal detector that I use to find arrows that snake under the grass and get lost. It's pretty good at finding lost arrows, and once I used it to find a ring that fell off someone's hand in my backyard. Frankly, you'd have to find a lot of lost arrows before you paid for the thing, but it is frustrating to lose an arrow, and otherwise I would tend to spend an obsessively long time looking for them, so I guess it sort of pays for itself in the time I save.

I looked on Amazon, which has a hundred or so models to choose from, from less than a hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. For no particular reason, I decided that the lower end models were probably junk, and I had no use for a higher end model. One of the $300 models was on sale for about $200: sold! But for whatever illogical reasons I chose it, it has worked out fine for me. I usually find 3-4 arrows that other people have lost before I find mine, but that's okay, because sometimes I have uses for OP arrows too.

I bought my son a Garrett Ace 250 a few years back. It is a great middle of the road detector. We mostly just take it on vacation in the RV. You find a lot of stuff around campsites. Mostly beer tabs, but we once found a dog tag (for a dog, not a GI). We called the number, and the family had taken thier dog when it was a pup, and it's tag came off. The dog was now 12 years old, so we sent it back to them, they were thrilled. We still have to find about $75 more dollars to pay it off, but we have a great time with it. There is a show on Natgeo called diggers you might like. My son and I watch it quite a bit, and it gets him excited to go back out with it.

I doubt that many hobbies ever pay for themselves. We could rarely justify the expense of any motorcycle let alone a BMW but for the peace of mind and fun that they give us. Vacations cost money and never turn a profit...yet how valuable are they to all of us.

Something like a metal detector may NEVER be a break even on the up front cost of the device, but it could be very fun and even exciting way to stay active and get some excercize. A good reason to get off the couch and outdoors as you age..no offense meant on that, but I know you are retiring and not getting any younger...oh wait none of us are getting younger.

If you can afford one and it interests you, then it may be a great hobby to invest in. Like a mini vacation.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Albert

First you might need an ill fitting pair of shorts, a pair of white shoes and black socks. :rofl:

Had one many years ago, found a 1932 quarter. Lost it while it was being kept for safekeeping since I was too young to be responsible.

I never thought we would find enough money to pay for itself. I was just making the point that we haven't found much money, but we have a great time with it. There is a lot of stuff out there to find, that is more exciting to find than money.

I did not think you were saying saying that it was going to pay for itself or not Phil.

I was just saying like all hobbies we do them for what we get out of them even though they might cost us some cash, we get a reward in relaxation or excitement, adrenaline, or just smiles.

I agree also, finding some antique trinket and researching or even thinking about what it was or what it did for someone years ago would be alot more fun than just finding quarters and dimes.

Albert

First you might need an ill fitting pair of shorts, a pair of white shoes and black socks. :rofl:

Had one many years ago, found a 1932 quarter. Lost it while it was being kept for safekeeping since I was too young to be responsible.

And a really wide, white plastic belt, hitched up to your sternum. I'm glad someone was thinking the same thing I was.

Albert

And a really wide, white plastic belt, hitched up to your sternum. I'm glad someone was thinking the same thing I was.

You guys are killing me! Have you been talking to my wife? I mentioned this idea to her last night and she broke out laughing uncontrollably. Really!

I have an inexpensive detector that I have used a few times, but it hasn't became "hobby status" yet. It's a fun way to pass quite a few hours on a nice day. What I would really like to do though, is to be able to use it around some home-sites, battlegrounds, abandon roads, etc, to search for more historical items. I think that would be a lot of fun. I understand that many of those places (especially major battlegrounds) are going to be restricted, but maybe searching a known path in the woods leading to a battleground?

Archived